Quantcast

Moving to Boulder next fall.....

Josh

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Hey whats up guys, I'm from New York and I'm gonna be coming out to Boulder next fall to go to CU. Im not going to have a car out there at first... is it worth it to bring my bike? Is there good local riding in Boulder? The only reason I'm asking is that since I'm going to be living in a dorm, if there isnt great stuff within riding distance of town it probably wouldnt be worth it to bring my bike until I bring a car.

Also, which shop(s) is the best in Boulder? When I was out there visiting I got to stop by at a few but didnt really get a sense what they were like.

Do any of you go to CU? Any experience with keeping a biek in a dorm room?
When I was out there they made a big point of saying bike theft was the biggest type of crime in Boulder, is it really something I have to worry about?

Any advice/ knowledge of Boulder would be awesome, thanks guys.

Also non-bike related stuff would be great too, ie: best/cheapest bars, good hiking or rock climbing, or anything else you can think of

Thanks
Josh

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
yes bring your bike. skatepark, dj's, lots of road, no real dh or xc trails in town, but i think you could ride to some trails from school.

i have 2 bikes in my dorm room, its tight but they both fit. also i have a 20'' locked outside and no one has touched it, but it does look pretty crappy. i would worry about keeping anything nice outside as i see nice parts(forks, brakes etc) get stolen on occasion.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Boulder has some very good riding (I just moved from there not too long ago) I worked at Full Cycle for a long time which is on the hill right near campus, but if you want DH and freeride stuff, go to the Fix. Shawnee really knows what he's doing, and has some awesome stock. As far as the bike in the dorm, its a pain, but its well worth it to be able to keep riding.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Yeah, for DH/FR/Urban stuff, you can't go wrong with The FIX, road, I'd say go to Vecchios, and for XC, yoou could pretty much go to any shop.

Otherwise, just what the others said.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Is there good hiking or rockclimbing? Josh, have you even visited out here for real? Boulder is one of the world class climbing meccas in this country. I moved out here in the eighties for just that reason. Right in the boulder area you have eldorado, the flatirons, boulder canyon, bouldering at flaggstaff. Within a two hour drive you have estes park/lumpy ridge, rocky mountain national park, south st. vrain canyon, the south platte. veedavue Wyo. [spelling?], table mountain, etc etc. Hiking in the flatirons is great for close in hiking.
Bring your bike. Do you allready climb? Where in NY are you from?

igjr

Chimp
Aug 23, 2001
CO
dcamp29 said:
but i think you could ride to some trails from school.
Definitely. There are lots of good trails rideable from town. Only one or two are right out the door, but if you're not opposed to riding a little pavement or climbing to get to them, there are several great singletracks around Boulder. Betasso, Walker Ranch, Heil Ranch, Rattlesnake Gulch and the Boulder Res are all good ridden from the campus area.

Enjoy. It's a pretty good place to be.

Josh

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Renegade said:
Is there good hiking or rockclimbing? Josh, have you even visited out here for real? Boulder is one of the world class climbing meccas in this country. I moved out here in the eighties for just that reason. Right in the boulder area you have eldorado, the flatirons, boulder canyon, bouldering at flaggstaff. Within a two hour drive you have estes park/lumpy ridge, rocky mountain national park, south st. vrain canyon, the south platte. veedavue Wyo. [spelling?], table mountain, etc etc. Hiking in the flatirons is great for close in hiking.
Bring your bike. Do you allready climb? Where in NY are you from?
I'm from Long Island, about half an hour away from the city... I've climbed a few times outdoors in maine/ squamish B.C, and I used to climb in a gym a decent amount... I dont have any of my own **** other then a harness. When I actually visited Boulder I was only there for about a day and a half, and the only thing I really got to do was walk around town, take a tour of the school, and go out at night with a friend.

As far as snowboarding goes, which mountains do you guys think are the best? Most of the guys I know out there snowboard mainly at Keystone and Breckenridge... which mountains are the most convenient to get to from boulder?

Did any of you guys have cars when you lived on campus? Were you able to find parking?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Josh said:
<snip> snowboarding goes, which mountains do you guys think are the best? Most of the guys I know out there snowboard mainly at Keystone and Breckenridge...
Keystone sucks. Breck is OK. Eldora would be most convenient from Boulder, but I don't like that mountain. Mary Jane/Winter Park is good, as is A-Basin. Loveland is tolerable.......

-S.S.-

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
SkaredShtles said:
Keystone sucks. Breck is OK. Eldora would be most convenient from Boulder, but I don't like that mountain. Mary Jane/Winter Park is good, as is A-Basin. Loveland is tolerable.......

-S.S.-
My votes for A-Basin. Hell, if you're heading to Keystone, just go another 5 mins up the road.

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
yeah, shop wise i would say the fix is your best bet. Shawnee and alex (and everyone else that hangs around and helps them work :)) have the best knowledge of the most types of systems. They do awesome work, and have dirt jumps on site. If you want dj, there are the gunbarrel jumps about, what like 3 miles from valmont, the fix jumps on valmont, and if you want you can get a ride out to arbor. there is the boulder skate park and awesome urban on campus. bring your bike.

Josh

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
flatulant_man said:
yeah, shop wise i would say the fix is your best bet. Shawnee and alex (and everyone else that hangs around and helps them work :)) have the best knowledge of the most types of systems. They do awesome work, and have dirt jumps on site. If you want dj, there are the gunbarrel jumps about, what like 3 miles from valmont, the fix jumps on valmont, and if you want you can get a ride out to arbor. there is the boulder skate park and awesome urban on campus. bring your bike.
Thanks alot, I found some pics of the gunbarrel jumps on Pinkbike, they look awesome. Im definatly going to bring my hardtail out next year. Could someone PM me with directions from campus to those jumps?

Thanks alot
Josh

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Josh- What kind of riding do you do? Myself, Dcamp, and and neversummersnow are all CU downhillers. If you have any questions about the team, any one of us can answer them for you. I had 4 bikes in my dorm room last year as well as a snowboard and a bunch of climbing gear. Bring em all, if you dont you will wish you had. You will have to buy a parking pass to park on campus, but if you have the pass you should be fine (it kinda depends what dorm you are in).

Breck and Keystone suck hardcore. Copper, Winterpark, and Vail are where it's at. Personally I ride backcountry only, but not everyone can be as cool as me. :D

Josh

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
TheInedibleHulk said:
Josh- What kind of riding do you do? Myself, Dcamp, and and neversummersnow are all CU downhillers. If you have any questions about the team, any one of us can answer them for you. I had 4 bikes in my dorm room last year as well as a snowboard and a bunch of climbing gear. Bring em all, if you dont you will wish you had. You will have to buy a parking pass to park on campus, but if you have the pass you should be fine (it kinda depends what dorm you are in).

Breck and Keystone suck hardcore. Copper, Winterpark, and Vail are where it's at. Personally I ride backcountry only, but not everyone can be as cool as me. :D
At home I ride mostly downhill at mountain creek in NJ. I didnt even realize that there was a DH team. For DH I ride an 04 specialized big hit expert, and for everything else I ride a specialized P2. I'm probably not going to bring the DH bike just because theres no way I'm going to be able to afford to ride downhill while I go to school. I have 3 jobs at home and I can barely afford to ride DH. Maybe after I get used to school il bring the DH bike out. Does the DH team get school funding?

As far as Snowboarding goes I dont really know what my skill level is because I generally ride at pretty ****ty mountains, so even the blacks arent really challenging at all... Killington is the nicest place I've ever been. lately ive been getting bored with regular riding and have been spending alot of time in the park. I was just asking about breck and keystone cause I know theres a cheap bus that the ski club runs.

Do you know off hand around how much parking passes are?... Im probably going to end up living in Sewall, hows that for parking convenience?

Thanks

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
BRING YOUR DH BIKE

Collegiate DH races are the cheapest you will find. Entry fees are usually around 20 dollars with a norba liscence. I know dh racing is expensive, which is why I'm broke, but trust me it will be worth it. The collegiate cycling season is in the fall and is fairly short, there should be about 4 dh races to do plus maybe a mtn-x or two as well. You should come to the first team meeting so you dont miss anything and can get in our team rides. This coming year we will have the biggest group of DH'ers we've ever had, so we should have some good team practice days. For DH we ride at vail and keystone, and there are three very good dirt jump spots and two BMX tracks in short driving distance.

The Cycling Team is not funded per-se. We do have sponsors, but they provide deals and product for the most part. There is a 60 dollar membership fee which goes towards covering team expenses, so for certian races accomodations are covered. Rides to races can always be coordinated. CU's downhill team is one of the best in the country, rivaled only by Fort Lewis in Durango. The one thing we lack on them is depth, so I know all of us would appreciate it if you would come race with us. Collegiate races are a hell of a good time, lots of fun rivalry but also a really friendly atmosphere. What class do you race? Our A team is made up of pros and semi-pros, but riders of all levels are welcome. If you are a beginner or sport rider don't be intimidated. When I came here last year I had almost no dh racing experience, and thanks to the help of the more experienced riders here, I am racing semi-pro this coming season. You wont find a better place to learn and improve.

BTW, I am from maryland, and will be racing at Mtn Creek this summer. My email is Philip.Wheeler@Colorado.edu, if you have any more questions about the team feel free to ask.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
TheInedibleHulk said:
BRING YOUR DH BIKE

Collegiate DH races are the cheapest you will find. Entry fees are usually around 20 dollars with a norba liscence. I know dh racing is expensive, which is why I'm broke, but trust me it will be worth it. The collegiate cycling season is in the fall and is fairly short, there should be about 4 dh races to do plus maybe a mtn-x or two as well. You should come to the first team meeting so you dont miss anything and can get in our team rides. This coming year we will have the biggest group of DH'ers we've ever had, so we should have some good team practice days. For DH we ride at vail and keystone, and there are three very good dirt jump spots and two BMX tracks in short driving distance.

The Cycling Team is not funded per-se. We do have sponsors, but they provide deals and product for the most part. There is a 60 dollar membership fee which goes towards covering team expenses, so for certian races accomodations are covered. Rides to races can always be coordinated. CU's downhill team is one of the best in the country, rivaled only by Fort Lewis in Durango. The one thing we lack on them is depth, so I know all of us would appreciate it if you would come race with us. Collegiate races are a hell of a good time, lots of fun rivalry but also a really friendly atmosphere. What class do you race? Our A team is made up of pros and semi-pros, but riders of all levels are welcome. If you are a beginner or sport rider don't be intimidated. When I came here last year I had almost no dh racing experience, and thanks to the help of the more experienced riders here, I am racing semi-pro this coming season. You wont find a better place to learn and improve.

BTW, I am from maryland, and will be racing at Mtn Creek this summer. My email is Philip.Wheeler@Colorado.edu, if you have any more questions about the team feel free to ask.
Dude, I thought you went to Mines?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
My vote for snowboarding near boulder is copper and a-basin (did they get guns yet??).

Living in boulder was fun..and the motto fits.. 5 square miles, surrounded by reality. I will be moving back sometime soon (2 years probably).

Hey Boulderites..Are pipeline and experimental still rideable? Or is that huge log wall now complete and impassable?