Quantcast

Moving to Oregon

davidt

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Been in NYC all my life, tired of it, sucks, pay too much rent, too many people, schools suck.. etc.

Wife and I want to raise our children in a nice clean environment and a state that caters to families.

few questions:

what are the schools like, are jobs plentiful, how's the weater like.

We were thinking Portland... also....

I ride only DownHill.... is the DH scene big out there, what are the best resorts?

bio-smear

Chimp
Jul 29, 2007
Peurtlahnd, OR
Portland is awesome, but it doesn't have the best reputation for quality school districts. It's pros are good culture, nice scenery, bike commuter friendly.

Cons: High property taxes, questionable public school system, traffic, somewhat depressed job market.

As far as DH nearby. We've got a dirth of quality bike parks beyond skateparks and Mt Hood Ski Bowl, which isn't that great. Good riding 3 hrs away in Bend. Quality freeriding 45 minutes away in Hood River and Dallas.

Frankly, if you're set on the NW, the Seattle area may have more to offer.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Portland is awesome, but it doesn't have the best reputation for quality school districts. It's pros are good culture, nice scenery, bike commuter friendly.

Cons: High property taxes, questionable public school system, traffic, somewhat depressed job market.

As far as DH nearby. We've got a dirth of quality bike parks beyond skateparks and Mt Hood Ski Bowl, which isn't that great. Good riding 3 hrs away in Bend. Quality freeriding 45 minutes away in Hood River and Dallas.

Frankly, if you're set on the NW, the Seattle area may have more to offer.
Sounds about right, I'd agree on Seattle area...plus its closer to Whistler!

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Seattle may have lots to offer, but Portland really does as well. I can't speak to the school system (no kids), but the cost of living is certainly much lower than Seattle. I don't think you'll find the real estate in Seattle, at least not close-in, to be far off New York prices...

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
If you can find a job and want small town (70,000), check out Bellingham, WA. It would be a huge culture shock from NYC, but schools are excellent, cost of living is decent, recreation is top notch, Whistler is 3 hours away + other local trails, but the weather sucks unless you're a Washington native.

I moved from Bellingham to DC to Hillsboro, OR (8 miles from Portland). Hillsboro kind of sucks, but Portland is a cool town. Schools are really not good though (I know some area teachers who commute to get out of the state) and while there is no sales tax, they get you on property and state taxes pretty badly.

Of course, nowhere is perfect. Good luck!

Apr 23, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Eugene is a good town thats a hour from the beach and an hour from the lifts and 2-3 hrs to the desert PLUS Oakridge has 600 miles of trail plus thousands of miles of logging roads.

It rains in Eugene but it rains more in Seattle, basically every 75 miles south you go the weather is a little better. The seasons move at 30 miles a day. Portland then Eugene to Roseburg to Medofrd to Mt Shasta city to Redding Ca thats a 400 mile stretch and you'll find it ALL inbetween there.

cederrowe

Monkey
Feb 18, 2006
portland, oregon
Portland is a great town, but man is it growing. Seattle has allready had those growing pains and didn't deal with it traffic wise and has the worst traffic I have expeienced in the Us...lol