Quantcast

Moving to Whistler for the summer

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
i rode a total of 21 days on whistler mtn. last summer and man o man does your bike get beat. Bring tons of tires, brake pads, couple derraileurs, a couple shifting cables, extra housing, chains, grips, etc., it was so much fun tho, looks like u got alot of the nessesities.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
hope those tires are stick-e rubbers...that stack will last you about a week and a half...run ur bike with 40 PSI and you wont have to worry about tubes.
rims...spokes..deraluiers...PEDALS/ CLEATS

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Netguy - cool to see you are ready to go. Take it easy on your Swinger, and you won't need that back-up;) :)

I managed to sell my old one to someone here so everything worked out.

Definitely bring some more tubes.

...AND extra brake pads.

...and one more rim.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Get a bunch of stuff from here and Ebay. It might be worth it to get some stuff up there as it will be about 20% from USD. That would be awsome to live there for the summer.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
you might need a couple more chains if you'll be riding a lot.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
Yeah, the rims are getting built up before I leave, and I have 10 sets of brake pads and spare brakes ready to go. + I have another set of rims on the way and another derailure. Im not too bothered about tubes, only becuase I have run that Intense DH tube for the past 3 seasons on Whistler and still have not had 1 flat. (100+ days) Its heavy, but saves me from walking down the mountain!
The Kenda Nevegals are sticky. I think their about a 47 duro, and work awesome for Whistler. From past experience, I figure a set to last me 15 days.
Ive got friends coming up from the US, almost every week, so if I start running out of something, it shouldnt be for too long.

Either way, I am not too stressed about it. Whether I spend an extra $100 or $1000 in parts, doesnt really bother me, cause I am there for 5 months, and to me, thats priceless!

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
To me it seems waayy too sketchy to go to Whistler for such a long period of time. I would prefer to do several short 1 week trips. This summer I went for a 16 day trip and broke my collar bone on the 4th day:mumble: .

Be safe I guess, and have a good time. <----Hard not to do in Whizzler.

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
konabiker said:
To me it seems waayy too sketchy to go to Whistler for such a long period of time. I would prefer to do several short 1 week trips. This summer I went for a 16 day trip and broke my collar bone on the 4th day:mumble: .

Be safe I guess, and have a good time. <----Hard not to do in Whizzler.
I think everybody is going to wreck sooner or later, when riding Whistler. Its just part of the sport. Yeah, it will suck if I break something, however I have done 100+ days on the mountain in the last 3 years, so knowing every berm, every lip, every bump of every trail, is a bonus. Besides, I dont live life looking at the negatives.

Edgy

Monkey
May 1, 2003
O.C
Thanks......knowing that hurts more than any crash I've ever had!
I'm hoping for at least 4-5 days this year..but I'm so deep in some $hit right now...I might not make it.:mumble:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
DHanamal said:
I can safely say that everyone on this board, including me, are jealous.
*raises hand*

but very happy for you @ the same time!

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
What bike(s) will you be riding up there? I think it would be cool to live there for the obviuos reasons, but also to explore all the stuff around Whistler. I also go up for weekends and just ride, never see anything else. Have fun.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
ash, you suck....what else is there to say.

oh ya, get a few more tubes, and don't hurt your back anymore.

you'll be showing us around when we're up there.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
DHanamal said:
I can safely say that everyone on this board, including me, are jealous.

not me :D....

I don't tend to blow tubes but from my experience with my buds a rear shock is required. Rear wheel. Hack even a few blew forks. I think you will find living here you won't go through parts as badly. Locals tend to take er easy as it were. We ride hard and fast but stop for beers after a few runs. While coming here for a week you ride...and ride...and ride...and ride...until you can't move. Thats the type of riding that really breaks down the bikes I find. Although I do tend to break chains and wear down tires faster.

I do go through parts, but not as fast as the tourist here for a week :)

Netguy

Monkey
Nov 8, 2004
Whistler
I agree. I did a 35 days on the mountain last year, and I was never in a hurry to make sure I got 20 laps in a day, cause I knew I would be there the following weekend. Its more about a good time in a cool environment with friends.
A spare rear shock is a good idea. I still have not had a flat tire on the mountain.

To answer the other question, will be taking a Demo8 and SXTrail with me. Yeah, the trails in the valley are killer!

Feb 3, 2005
Whistler
Hey bro, i'll be there from May2nd until August 20th. Shoot me a pm and we'll get together for some rides. I have a lot of friends who do weekend trips to the shore and pemby.

I spent 2 weeks in whistler last summer and didn't break one part or flat one tire....it can be done u just have to ride smart and with skill.

Carlos

teaguers

Chimp
Jul 21, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I was originally going to move up for the summer too. And then i rode the shore and woodlot, and got to thinking that I am actually closer to those here in Bellingham. So i will have to settle for 2-3 days a week in Whistler, and ride the other bc stuff a couple days a week as well. Shoot me a pm with your number, I'm always down to ride with new people :) . I want to do some riding in Squamish and Pemby too. I heart BC :)

Teague

ill be there in lot 1 sleeping the morning away in the 4 runner and ripping that every day extended play!!!!!!!!
Stretch before you ride and dont ride half ass and you can get plenty of safe days, hell you get to rest on the lift... 32 days last year, way more this year!