Quantcast

Moving

Apr 13, 2005
I am damn sick of winter in colorado and thinking about relocating to so cal. what are the best areas for riding, jobs, and life in general in the area? any suggestions would be helpful, I can't take another winter of texans and rental skis.

-steve

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I live in the San Fernando Valley, which is about 30 miles north/west of downtown Los Angeles. There are A LOT of DH and DJ spots really close to where I live. The only catch, the cost of living has gotten pretty high here in Southern California. The Valley is quite a bit cheaper than other areas of So Cal; anywhere near the beach will really cost you these days.

The San Fernando Valley and the Santa Clarita Valley are both nice areas, and pretty reasonable (for So Cal standards) when it comes to cost of living, and you're not too far removed from the city--which makes it a lot easy to find work. In addition, there are still some areas of So Cal that are pretty cheap, that aren't in the ghetto. Palmdale and areas if the "909," which is the Inland Empire, are still pretty cheap. Although, it may be harder to find work in those areas, which would mean that you would have a pretty long commute to work. Don't forget, the traffic in So Cal is terrible...

Niall

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Olympia, WA
I currently live in olympia, WA where it seems like everyday september through may is 50 degrees, rainy, and grey. I'm in the proscess of selling all my stuff, so when springtime rolls arounds I can get outta town. My only problem is; I havent decided where to move.

here are some things I would like to find at my new home:
-inexpensive living in a non-impoverished area
-immediate or close access to biking (DJ/FR), skiing, surfing, and climbing
-lots and lots of sun and warm weather
-all in a nice small-to-midsized city/ town with friendly people

does any such thing exist? any suggestions?

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Santa Barbara, amazing DH beachs, climbing, everything you want apart from cheap housing! The houses here are super expensive, you should try ventura.

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
Niall said:
I currently live in olympia, WA where it seems like everyday september through may is 50 degrees, rainy, and grey. I'm in the proscess of selling all my stuff, so when springtime rolls arounds I can get outta town. My only problem is; I havent decided where to move.

Henderson Nevada, right next to Bootleg Canyon. Check it out!

Whoops, my bad....didn't see the surfing/skiing part of that till afterwards. My bad. You are screwed! Good luck, and let us know whatcha find!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Niallh said:

Not gonna happen. There isn't even inexpensive living in the ghettos. Good luck finding a 1000sq ft. shack for under $350,000. The average shack-super-fixeruper in San Diego is over $400,000. Houses that you're used (3bdrs and 2,000+sq ft.) to are 1,000,000+ and there so close together that you can high five your neighboor while taking a sh*t! There aren't any small-to-midsized towns in socal. Errr, sorry there are and they're called Rancho Sante Fe, Santa Barbara, La Jolla, Palos Verdes. All of which are among the most expensive housing in the nation.

Sorry to be Mr. Negative, but Socal is over priced and over populated. On the up side you'll get lots and lots of sun.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah i can say the Ventura and Santa Barbara county areas are insane, rents just nuts...and a big condo or apartment is 1000sq ft.

Niall

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Olympia, WA
I appreciate the input, as I really didn't know anything about the area. pretty much what I expected to hear, though. thanks again.

gravity1

Chimp
Dec 5, 2004
santa barbara
Look, SB is sweet but crowded and the rents are expensive but no more than most areas in CA. San Luis Obispo is by far the unknown gem on the coast. The people are way friendly, food good and not to expensive rents a bit more reasonable, riding insane, surfing close by, skiing not too far away, girls are nice there, not like in SB.

Check out San luis Obispo.

Or you could seriously buy a camper and park it in Isla Vista and live rent free in SB and that would probably be about the ultimate for a single guy. Lots of people do it, it saves them $700-$1000 each a month in rent which means you can work at least half as much and have as much money and twice the free time and you could seriously roll out of bed, go surfing, hop on your bike and hit the trails all right there without having to drive. would be a sweet lifestyle.

Homey

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
The O.C.
Also look into Temecula/Corona...houses are a little cheaper and jobs are a little more scarce, but it's a nice new area east of O.C.