Quantcast

MP3 player question.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I want to buy a new MP3 player. What would really be helpful to me is if you went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and ****ing on about why they brand you like is best and why anyone who buys any other brand is stupid.

Thanks.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Um... I guess I'll start it off with a trendy answer and recommend an iPod. I love mine, and that's pretty much all there is to it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, almost forgot -- you're a loser if you don't have one.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I agree, you can't beat such detailed and complete reasoning like buy an iPod cause I have one and everything else sucks. Don't forget to buy Coke, Budweiser, McDonalds, SUVs, and whatever else is most popular at the time :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
syadasti said:
I agree, you can't beat such detailed and complete reasoning like buy an iPod cause I have one and everything else sucks. Don't forget to buy Coke, Budweiser, McDonalds, SUVs, and whatever else is most popular at the time :thumb:
:stupid:

I love a Big Mac, fries, and a Bud whilst driving my Hummer. :thumb:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Being as you're a bit of a geek I should think you'll like the iRiver H320 best. Great audio quality, good battery life, doubles as a plug and play external HD, displays image files, .txt files, is a radio, and can encode directly to mp3 on the fly via line in.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Changleen said:
Being as you're a bit of a geek I should think you'll like the iRiver H320 best. Great audio quality, good battery life, doubles as a plug and play external HD, displays image files, .txt files, is a radio, and can encode directly to mp3 on the fly via line in.
the app that updates the song database on iRiver mp3 players is windows only. unless you don't care to browse by genre or do a bunch of other things that people tend to take for granted don't get one if you run linux or os x (as RM does).

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
my first HDD player.
still getting used the the corded remote.
but now i like it for changing songs w/o
hauling the unit out.

has all the features.

one i like best is:
you hold the REC button and adds
the track you have on to a favorets folder.
super batterylife!
super slim
super cheep. 215 off ebay new.
20G
back lit always on as an option.
i use it in my car a lot too.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Toshi said:
the app that updates the song database on iRiver mp3 players is windows only. unless you don't care to browse by genre or do a bunch of other things that people tend to take for granted don't get one if you run linux or os x (as RM does).
:eek: so he is such a geek (linux user) that even the fancy geeky-do-it-all-mp3-player changleen recomended is not geek enough for him???
:p

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The Rio Karma, Cowon iAudio, and Apple iPod are all overall better digital audio players than the iRiver HDD units - they have different features which make some more attractive than others to different people. Perhaps Changleen needs some feature that only iRiver offers, but I doubt that Cowon doesn't have something equal or better - they are both Korean companies and Cowon makes higher-end products than iRiver (BCD got one of the M3s they were blowing out on eBay, those things usually go for about $400 (especially if its the M3L)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
reflux said:
I have an ipod--it turns on and plays music. IT'S THE BEST OUT THERE!!!!!!
Most importantly, you can NEVER turn it off - it only sleeps so its always draining the battery for super awesome battery life and runtime :thumb:

NickZ

Chimp
Dec 23, 2004
Sydney
The right MP3 player depends on how much music you want to put on it, how big you want the player to be, sounds quality, functions etc. I can only give opinion/ideas about iRiver, Apple and Sony as I have a Mac and Creative and many others aren't Mac compatible (or they are with some obscure freeware)

I think the iPod's are nice, but I'd never get one as I don't like the iTunes program, and I don't like the unreplaceable battery. They sound great, they are really loud and the wheel interface is great, very fast and easy to get to a song or album you want in a few steps. The iShuffle is dumb as there is no screen.

The iRiver H320/H340 are cool as they act as a USB drive, so you can just drag and drop files, rather than play every song through iTunes to get it on your playlist. They play many different audio files, many just play MP3, this plays 6 different ones I think. IMO they are a bit too geeky for me, I couldn't be bothered stuffing around with a player, I just want it to play. What is great about it is that it has a voice recorder/dictaphone, an FM tuner (from which you can record and save as MP3 files) and a line in (record from any audio source that has a headphone jack). The colour screen is cool too, but the file interface is very database like (tree system) and it's tricky to make playlists. I've read alot about MP3 players lately, and figured that I'm probably going to wait for iRiver's next HDD player to come out, hopefully they will make it more user friendly!
If I had to choose an MP3 player to buy right now I'd choose the Iriver iFP-899 1 Gb flash player. It's got no moving parts (unlike a HDD), it has an FM tuner/FM recording, voice recording/dictaphone and line-in recording and a backlit screen. 1Gb give about 40 hours of music, and you can change the firmware to make it act like a USB drive (drag and drop), runs on 2AA batteries for 30 hours, and the player is tiny.
Otherwise Sony's 1Gb flash player, which is just an MP3 player with no features like the iFP-899, but runs on a AAA battery for up to 70 hours, but you must use Sony own software.

Hope some of that helps, I was looking around for ages for the MP3 player that was right for me, and bought a digital camera intstead!

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Personally I would shy away from iPods as they are too expensive for what you are getting. Not as much hard drive space for more money isnt a fair trade off. I really like the Dell mp3 players. They are not that expensive, and you get a fairly large hard drive space and nice reliable player. My friend dropped his multiple times and despite the dents and scratches it still worked. Another company to check out is creative. You can get a 30 gig player for something like 200 dollars, and from my interactions with them they are an awesome company. I had an issue with one of the players not working with my computer, so I called up customer service and the guy was really helpful and friendly. Thumbs up for Creative Labs and Dell. iPods just arent worth the extra money in my opinion.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DRB said:
That MP3 crap isn't going to catch on.

You need one of these

and a car battery. It would be portable and of exceptional quality.
I would rather listen to that Fisher Price, then to have to listen to silly people argue all day about why their little music holder is cooler than the other's guys music holder.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Jeremy R said:
I would rather listen to that Fisher Price, then to have to listen to silly people argue all day about why their little music holder is cooler than the other's guys music holder.
I like how this thread was started as a joke, yet people still put their serious and thoughtful opinions in it. Huh.

J

JRB

reflux said:
I like how this thread was started as a joke, yet people still put their serious and thoughtful opinions in it. Huh.
Well - it happened in mine too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I bought a cheap no-name one from ebay. It even has a "voice recoder" :D

I was glad I bought a cheap one when I left it in my cargo pants for a wash cycle. Now I'm gonna get another cheap one. I figure I can go through about 31 cheap mp3 players before I get up to the cost of an iPod.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Ridemonkey said:
I want to buy a new MP3 player. What would really be helpful to me is if you went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and ****ing on about why they brand you like is best and why anyone who buys any other brand is stupid.

Thanks.

iRiver player (older version, but check the new ones)

:thumb: Optical Digital IN & OUT (the little red laser) PURE digital output to sterios
:thumb: MP3 encoding (you can plug in your diskman, record player, soundboard... and record straight to MP3)
:thumb: Computer reads it like a removeable hard drive, so uploading/downloading music is a SNAP on ANY computer (for "sharing" files with others)
:thumb: 40G... enough for a LOT of music
:thumb: Radio built in
:thumb: comes WITH a remote control (keep player in your camelback, and remote on the shoulder strap to change tracks while still riding)
:thumb: comes with a sweet leather carying case at no extra charge
:thumb: voice recorder

:(I'm not a trendy Ipod owner ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
reflux said:
My first response was a joke, but then those other people did not get it. I think they are the same people that don't read instructions carefully.

What I can't take a bath while blow drying my hair :drool: