Quantcast

mprphine with 7-8 inch fork?

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
im thinking about a banshee morphine frame with a 7 or 8 inch fork maybe. any opinions? im thinking about it because i have a dj/urban bike but i want a freeride bike and cant get one for lack of money so i was thinking a morphine frame with a jr.t maybe. little bit of both worlds. all opinions help, thanks guys

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Are you planning on buying new??? If so there are handfulls of hardtails out there that you can look at as well as the Banshee.

Personally, I wouldn't really want more than 6 inches on a hardtail, but as they say, different strokes for different folks :p . I've never been a huge fan of Manitous and the one sherman (a 6" Breakout) that I rode felt like poo, but there are alot of people that love them so I suppose they're pretty good. As far as the Junior T, I would recommend against it. The damper just doesn't handle high speed like the hscv dampers.

You can often times find pretty good deals on new forks online or on e-bay so if you can wait a little I'm sure you can come across something like a new or slightly used 2005 Z1, older Super T's, Boxxer Teams, or Sherman Breakout/Slider.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i had a boxxer on the front of a morphine for a while. it works well for fr but blows for dj'ing. for some reason it seemed to lose rebound dampaning on dj but i never had the problem on fr stuff. noe thing i will say is that later on i put a z150 on the front and that made the bike very vesitile. just about any 6" SC fork is a very good match for that frame.

btw the shermans are nice and the morphine is a 1 1/8" headtube not a 1.5 like many people think.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I have 2 Morphines, one with a 6"z150 and one with a new 66 7" I like the 66 for downhill and freeride and the 150 for trail, however I did use the 150 for everything for the last 1 1/2 years.and it workd fine. they can be found pretty cheap since they have been replaced. I wouldnt go more than 7" in the front and I am partial to single crowns on hartail. the morphine is (IMO) a little to short for anything over 7. East coast hardcore hardtails rule!!!!

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
ShdowConspiracy said:
problem is price and i cant afford a 66 but i havent looked at the shermans thanks, anything else guys?
the sherman forks are about the same price as the 66s, about 700 and up. i would suggest the marzocchi z.1 forks. 150mm 20mm axel and not too expencive. try to find a good used fork.... like a z150 or sherman slider

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
teamkranzelbike said:
I have 2 Morphines, one with a 6"z150 and one with a new 66 7" I like the 66 for downhill and freeride and the 150 for trail, however I did use the 150 for everything for the last 1 1/2 years.and it workd fine. they can be found pretty cheap since they have been replaced. I wouldnt go more than 7" in the front and I am partial to single crowns on hartail. the morphine is (IMO) a little to short for anything over 7. East coast hardcore hardtails rule!!!!
.......why do you have 2 of the same bike....?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
DHS said:
.......why do you have 2 of the same bike....?
yeah really, I have a chameleon and a DOC and they started to look similar, had to take some action, now the chameleon is super light and the DOC is all murdered out ;)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Big forks on hardtails are fun. I have a boxxer on my .243, and it's a blast to ride. I say don't worry about the naysayers or looking cool by having the "right" bike parts. Do what you want. And have fun doing it.

aidanwray

Chimp
May 16, 2005
UK
yeah, go for long travel on your ht if you want.
but running some 8" 888s or something would make your geometry abit kerrrazy.
id run 7" max