Quantcast

mr. mathers....tea is served.......nsfw

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I predict a profanity laced rap rant about this episode to emerge on someone's next album.

I can't wait to see Cohens next movie with bruno. The concept of irate frothing rednecks being exposed to homoerotic cage fighting is too good to miss

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i predict one dead pseudo comedian by the end of the year.

Bigdroptoflat

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Maryland
At least they didn't pull out their glocks and start shooting right there... Sascha Cohen is much more entertaining than Eminem anyways

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've heard rumors that it was completely staged, that it was staged but Em didn't know, that it was staged and it actually went wrong, or that it was just ad-libbed. Who knows. I didn't see it, but I don't watch MTV.

FWIW, love him or hate him, Eminem is one of the most talented lyricists out there, regardless of how profane and offensive some people find him to be.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i heard it was all staged and Eminem was seen after the incident laughing it up with his boys.
If you know anything about staging, you don't just randomly drop twenty feet and end up in the lap of the most famous homophobe in the audience.

You either sit up in the rigging for 2 hours until stagehands roll a crane out or you fall.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you know anything about staging, you don't just randomly drop twenty feet and end up in the lap of the most famous homophobe in the audience.

You either sit up in the rigging for 2 hours until stagehands roll a crane out or you fall.

For those of you calling him a homophobe, that's a big one that's up for debate. If you're speaking based soley on his lyrical content, then he's also a serial murderer, a rapist, a criminal, and a petty thief. All of which are pretty un-true. Also, if he is actually homophobic, please explain his performance with Elton John.

His lyrics aren't always based on his actions, a lot of what he sings/raps/writes about are his views of our (often times sick) society.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For those of you calling him a homophobe, that's a big one that's up for debate. If you're speaking based soley on his lyrical content, then he's also a serial murderer, a rapist, a criminal, and a petty thief. All of which are pretty un-true. Also, if he is actually homophobic, please explain his performance with Elton John.

His lyrics aren't always based on his actions, a lot of what he sings/raps/writes about are his views of our (often times sick) society.
Ok ok ok.

What would you describe him as? Gay rights advocate? Lyrical satirist? Social activist?

I should point out that I am huge fan of Eminem's, but I am not his defender either.

If Baron Cohen was going to target one person for his prank, who is the biggest lightning rod for a crotch in the face?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok ok ok.

What would you describe him as? Gay rights advocate? Lyrical satirist? Social activist?
An angry motherfvcker from the hood.

In all seriousness, I would agree most with him as a lyrical satirist. He tends to gravitate towards hot button issues with some of his work, and the gay right's movement happens to be one of them. I found this quote online from an interview with him, though I can't find the original source:

"People confuse the lyrics for me speaking my mind... I don't agree with that lifestyle, but if that lifestyle is for you, then it's your business".

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
FWIW, love him or hate him, Eminem is one of the most talented lyricists out there, regardless of how profane and offensive some people find him to be.

He really isn't, but he is pretty good about marketing himself. Ill givem that

Man, I bet you are glad he made a comeback, or else that tattoo across your chest that says Eminem might of seemed lame

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
As hard as that skinny little douche eminem tries to act tough, I find it hard to believe he'd sign on for being the butt :rofl: of such a stunt.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
I've heard rumors that it was completely staged, that it was staged but Em didn't know, that it was staged and it actually went wrong, or that it was just ad-libbed. Who knows. I didn't see it, but I don't watch MTV.

In all seriousness, I would agree most with him as a lyrical satirist. He tends to gravitate towards hot button issues with some of his work, and the gay right's movement happens to be one of them. I found this quote online from an interview with him, though I can't find the original source:

"People confuse the lyrics for me speaking my mind... I don't agree with that lifestyle, but if that lifestyle is for you, then it's your business".
He's got enough of a loyal fanbase that he doesn't need any PR either.

Loyal fanbase AKA Jon "Loves the m&m chode" kranked

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Everything that he's about is against being t-bagged by a foreign man-angel. I dont think the people buying his cd's and himself think that kind of humor is funny. But his boy's that helped push the dude off gotta be laughing right now at least a little. Perfect target for that **it though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

I understand the difference between public statements and your private opinions. I describe myself as the most homophobic gay rights activist because of the nasty jokes and comments I make to friends.

But the words have meaning as well. You can't rap homophobic lyrics, particularly very well-written ones, and say, "It don't mean anything." There are people who wouldn't know what a satirist is but do know the word faggot, and in many ways, Eminem is influencing them.

Ultimately, I believe that everyone has to make their own decision about the influences in their lives. I can listen to Eminem and live in San Francisco, but Eminem is a fair target for criticism because of the other obvious interpretation of his lyrics.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
One of the more hilarious things heard while camping over the holiday weekend:

friend #1: "you were asleep and snoring loud, I had to walk over and teabag you to make you stop. hahaha ..."

friend #2: "the joke is on you man, I was only PRETENDING to be asleep!"

:eek: :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I understand the difference between public statements and your private opinions. I describe myself as the most homophobic gay rights activist because of the nasty jokes and comments I make to friends.

But the words have meaning as well. You can't rap homophobic lyrics, particularly very well-written ones, and say, "It don't mean anything." There are people who wouldn't know what a satirist is but do know the word faggot, and in many ways, Eminem is influencing them.

Ultimately, I believe that everyone has to make their own decision about the influences in their lives. I can listen to Eminem and live in San Francisco, but Eminem is a fair target for criticism because of the other obvious interpretation of his lyrics.
I don't think he's tried to claim that it doesn't mean anything. It's more of commentary on the socio-political climate of our country. The way he depicts his alleged homophobia is so over the top that anyone with half a rutabaga for a brain would realize that its tongue in cheek and is being expressed in this manner to point out how absurd the whole issue is. Then again, that's operating under the assumption that people are intelligent enough to look past the lyrics at face value and get the underlying message, which obviously a lot of people unfortunately aren't. This in and of itself is actually a more direct commentary on the (lack of) education of the average US citizen.