Quantcast

MrPlow's New MiniDH white goods - SX Trail

MrPlow

Monkey
Sep 9, 2004
Toowoomba Queensland
Well mini DH seems to be the buzzword so I got thi frame on eBay.

I wanted something a bit more versatile for the tracks around here Cambridge UK (Chicksands etc)., and the yeti DH9 was getting a bit old and boring anyway.
First impressions are i need a longer gear outer cable! And this bike is big. Lucky I am 6'2". I checked it all out before buying and test rode a medium, but for what I wanted (something I could pedal with seat raised if needed), the medium was too cramped. This feels nice.

Frame - 06 Specialized SX trail, large, custom painted white by previous owner by specialized approved panel shop (warranty retained).
H/A Unknown, BB 14.25", Wheelbase 46.4"!, Chainstays 16.5" (long front!) This can be counteracted by sliding the 40's down a bit.

Shock - DHX5.0 just MOJO tuned, 465lb Ti spring.

Fork - 05 Fox 40 (factory issue, pretty std I think accept the top caps dont fade) Firm (1 up from medium) Ti spring, 10wt oil. Set on 7"

(I also have some 36 TALAS that I might throw on for fun.)

Wheels: Alex Rims Supra D debadged, Hadley Hubs, DT Revolution (2.0mm) black spokes. Gold Alloy nipples. Gold Hope Rear QR.

Tyres: Minion F 2.5 F&R, XC 2.35 tubes.

Brakes: Juicy 5's custom painted white. Goodridge Pads, BILt 8" Front rotor, Hope 6" rear rotor.

Crankset: Saint 175mm Cranks, E13 38t Guide Ring, E13 Gold 36t bash, E13 guide (milled) with white guide kit. Gold RaceFace BB.

Pedals: BILT (Wellgo MG1 on back order)

Chain: Whipperman teflon.

Cassette: SRAM Roadie PG970 12-26.

Shifting: X9 trigger, 05' X0 Mech (being replaced by extra short 08 X9) Dura Ace outer cable ( need longer though!) Shimano cable.

Bars: FSA K Force Carbon DH 710x30 rise. (thinking of getting some Funn super wides when they are released) Yeti lock On Grips. Gold Hope Bar Caps.

Stem: Thomson 4X 50mm

Headset: Gold King Alloy

Seating: Thomson Post, SDG Ti Fly. Gold Hope QR Seat Clamp

Weight: 17.75, 39lb. Damnit! Still not lighter than Udi's :(

Enjoy.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
ooooooohhhhh i want a white sx so bad now. i might have to get one, as much as i want to fight the corporate machine. it's mostly specialized vs. transition right now in my decision making process, but there are a few other contenders, like nicolai and clifcat, in there with their 08 bikes.

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
Nice build
How did you get on fitting that chain guard to that frame? Just put an E13 on my SX and it was a right bitch to fit. I had to take a load off the bottom guide and elongate the mounting holes on the back plate and it is still really close to the chain stay . I notice you have wrapped a lot of black tape round yours.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
nice bike. I'm having trouble figuring out where the parts are that add up to 40lbs? My Enduro weighs 30lbs even with a stout trail build. Even when it was built up for DH with a DHX coil and Deemax etc it was still sub 35 even w/DH tires. I imagine you could drop 4-5 pound off that bike fairly easily by ditching the Saint cranks for XT's, the SRS for an LG1 etc....

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
Curious about the painting. I would like to get my 08 painted when it comes in. Where did you get it done, and how did you find out it was a Specialized approved Powder coater?

bronze09

Chimp
Jun 22, 2007
Curious about the painting. I would like to get my 08 painted when it comes in. Where did you get it done, and how did you find out it was a Specialized approved Powder coater?
Nice SX Trail! I am also interested, if you have any info about the paint process.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I've got an 06 SX Trail that came painted black and gray and I love it.

Why does Specialized take one of the best all around frames out there and give it a freakin crack head paint job? Any art school drop out could come up with something better. Clearly they must think that their product is so great that we will buy it no matter what horrid vomit inducing paint disaster they give it.

Other frame makers offer paint choices, why not Specialized? When a frame retails for $1700 you should be able to get it any color you want!