Quantcast

MRP's new LG-1 whoops... err G-2

zspecial

Chimp
Jul 2, 2004
But do e13 offer the "Taco" as an off the shelf component or is it up to the individual to modify one of their Superchargers? I couldn't see one already made on their site.

If they don't then why is MRP's so bad? looks like they just beat e13 to it.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
But do e13 offer the "Taco" as an off the shelf component or is it up to the individual to modify one of their Superchargers? I couldn't see one already made on their site.

There talk of one in the works

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
errrr it looks like sumthing i have seen befor...:busted: ...but ethirteen, should have made one first, but looks like they were beaten to it...:banghead:

i do think it looks good!!!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
E13 Showed a pre-made taco at Interbike last year. Then frame manufacturers took issue with it. Theres been talk of it for a long time. Several other companies have shown one too and none have materialized yet.
Actually, we've been showing our 4-bolt type quarter bash "the Taco" at Interbike since 2002, just not a lot of demand so they haven't made it as a production item.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
how does mrp sleep at night...they got beat bad...It is sort of embarassing to watch them try to rip off everything...
they're chainguides. Not that complicated and not a whole lot of room for design innovation. It's just a plastic derailleur cage with a lower pulley. zomfg wow ripoff wtfbbq!!

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
they're chainguides. Not that complicated and not a whole lot of room for design innovation. It's just a plastic derailleur cage with a lower pulley. zomfg wow ripoff wtfbbq!!
with that sort of mentatity then I guess you think the e.thirteen guides are pretty much the same as the original mrp or any other chainguide??? ahaa

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
with that sort of mentatity then I guess you think the e.thirteen guides are pretty much the same as the original mrp or any other chainguide??? ahaa
Companies will go through a lot of different designs when designing a chainguide to see what works and what doesn't...Usually they all end up at the same place, and that same place is usually what e.Thirteen originally came up with. What do you suggest MRP does? Closes up shop and leaves? No, they're going to make what the people want...Like that previous poster said, it's a chainguide. Not a lot of room for innovation.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
well yes I agree, its not creating rockets or anything but there are just laws that pertain to intellectual property and whatnot that companies need to recognize as well, no matter how complex the product. There should be credit given when something is engineered, not copied.

Look at car "cold air intakes" or something like that. They cost 200-400 dollars and costs no where near that to produce...the company is cashing in on the development time it took to create/fit that product.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
well yes I agree, its not creating rockets or anything but there are just laws that pertain to intellectual property and whatnot that companies need to recognize as well, no matter how complex the product. There should be credit given when something is engineered, not copied.

Look at car "cold air intakes" or something like that. They cost 200-400 dollars and costs no where near that to produce...the company is cashing in on the development time it took to create/fit that product.
For all the patenting DW throws down, the design for the CGs is apparently not.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
For all the patenting DW throws down, the design for the CGs is apparently not.
Patents typically take 3-4 years to award. I can assure you that e.thirteen takes intellectual property very seriously and has a good deal of patents pending in relation to "taco" type bashguards and chain retention systems in the USA, Europe, and Asia. We've even applied for trademarks on the name "taco".

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Does this mean I can't use the phrase "bearded taco" anymore?

That makes me a sad panda :(
No problems, you can keep using it all you want. We've just applied for trademarks on the term "taco" to describe a bashguard, not to describe the 'ol bearded taco or any food items... :)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
No problems, you can keep using it all you want. We've just applied for trademarks on the term "taco" to describe a bashguard, not to describe the 'ol bearded taco or any food items... :)
so yer sayin' e.13 tacos aren't edible? And here I was splashing a little Tapatio on 'em and having two or three fer lunch most everyday. No wonder my poop has been all transparent and plasitc-ey....

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
it's pretty sad the mrp did this. but many lazy riders will buy this instead of having to modify their e-13. but i for one will not be doing that. modifying my e-13 as soon as my lg1 comes

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
so yer sayin' e.13 tacos aren't edible? And here I was splashing a little Tapatio on 'em and having two or three fer lunch most everyday. No wonder my poop has been all transparent and plasitc-ey....
I was, uh, wondering if they could be used for the same purpose as the bearded variety.

No wonder there's been some chafing.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
yeah 2 plates keeping a chain in the center and to guides to keep it from jumping! Id say aside of how they do it they are pretty much the same idea.
they will all be looking to reduce mass and overall material to lighten up yet stay effective.
Like I said before Id rock the G2 it looks sick, If E13 comes out with theres first Id rock it too.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
it's pretty sad the mrp did this. but many lazy riders will buy this instead of having to modify their e-13. but i for one will not be doing that. modifying my e-13 as soon as my lg1 comes
I'd say its pretty smart, not pretty sad. They produced what people were asking for out of the box with no modification required. It has nothing to do with people being lazy, it just makes more sense to buy one product that is complete rather than two, hacking one apart for 1/4 of it then bolting it onto the second piece.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
yeah 2 plates keeping a chain in the center and to guides to keep it from jumping! Id say aside of how they do it they are pretty much the same idea.

ugh, yes the do the same thing (VERY generally speaking)...but that is like saying a 345ci Hemi is the same as an 80cc 2-stroke Yamaha motor which is also the same as a 6 cylinder Cummins diesel engine:bonk:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Everyone needs to consider that if companies are rewarded for ripping off designs that there will be no future innovation. Does anyone think that the guys up at E13 can eat without recieving monetary reward for innovating? That's why we have patents and copyrights. Please keep this in mind when purchasing anything.

Thanks DW for innovating. I am looking forward to seeing the newest chainguide. Pics please :)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
nice one. But You have to look at patents and innovation from all perspectives. Not just DW's. If I were him I'd do everything I could to defend my designs and pending patents. But the bottom line is that patent system was not designed for every little idea to be patented. It exsists to promote innovation and optimize community welfare, not enrich inventors specifically. You shouldn't be allowed to patent ideas that are (among other things) obvious or significantly innovative. Borrowing ideas from similar products (a front derailleur and a tensioner pulley) and combining them into 1 device which serves a similar if not identical purpose to the orignial 2 are not significantly innovative IMO (not so humble :P). Now if MRP is stealing some proprietary plastic compound formula, or say the exact dimensions and specifications are identical, then MAYBE that's something different. But just because someone has a useful idea/design, does not mean its patentable. Some ideas and designs are obvious and inevitable and would occur without the protection of a patent. Especially a device that lends itself to the garage tinkering of its users ;)

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Ha. It's so true too. Look at MRPs product evolution before they took "a close look" at any e.13 products. They would have been using that stupid full chain enclosure (either rotating or fixed to the frame) 'till the day they died.

FriedRys

Monkey
May 21, 2007
On the losing end of a wishbone
Everyone needs to consider that if companies are rewarded for ripping off designs that there will be no future innovation. Does anyone think that the guys up at E13 can eat without recieving monetary reward for innovating? That's why we have patents and copyrights. Please keep this in mind when purchasing anything.

Thanks DW for innovating. I am looking forward to seeing the newest chainguide. Pics please :)
I'm gonna have to disagree. People ripping off other peoples design is part of what drives innovation and drives down consumer cost.

Its real simple, if they are the same, people will buy the one that is priced lower, which is what causes price-wars, driving down cost for the consumer. After a short ammount of time, both maufacturers will begin looking for ways to set their product appart and above the other, thus driving innovation.

If MRP truly ripped off E13 and DW, the patent lawyers will straighten things out. Until then enjoy having a selection.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
We've even applied for trademarks on the name "taco".
because we all know how e13 brought the term "taco" to mountain biking...

i'm sorry, i like your company and products, but to me it sounds like you are overdoing it with this patent/trademark thing.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise

dremel to the rescue