Quantcast

Mt Diablo Trails?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Couldn't find much in a search, so I thought I'd ask...

Any of the legal trails on Mt Diablo good for a quick trailride? Thinking mostly of a before-or-after work spin; obviously, there's better stuff around, but thought I'd ask. Not too interested in fireroads, but the Diablo site mentioned 3 legal trails...was hoping they were singletrack-y if not super-sexy.

Point is moot until the movers deliver everything, including my bikes, later this month, but I'd really like to hit a trail when I can.

Thanks,

MD

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My "legal" ride is to leave from Mitchell Canyon to Deer Flat, then circle around to Devil's Elbow, then down the Freeway.

PM me for more "information".

East Bay Rich

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
WC CA
Devil's Elbow is some nice legal singletrack, but you gotta climb out. Did it once. You don't need anything more than an all-mountain bike for Mt. D. We missed the 2nd section of single track since we were cruising down some fireroad and didn't see the fork. Dang, that group ride was over 3 years ago...

Post up again once you're in the area : )

-Rich

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And there is very little "legal" singletrack at Diablo. But the climb is up so tough, you'll be glad for a fireroad.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
There are plenty of illegal trails that will make you holla. Los Banos is one of my favs. There is also back creek and other said trails, but the best legal loop is the one Sanj recommended. The climb is very similar to the downieville classic in terms of demographics-about 3000 ft in eight miles. Good stuff, especially in the summer when it's baking hot and you're in the exposed, loose, rocky climbs towards the top. Yeah....I miss the D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heath Sherratt said:
There are plenty of illegal trails that will make you holla. Los Banos is one of my favs. There is also back creek and other said trails, but the best legal loop is the one Sanj recommended. The climb is very similar to the downieville classic in terms of demographics-about 3000 ft in eight miles. Good stuff, especially in the summer when it's baking hot and you're in the exposed, loose, rocky climbs towards the top. Yeah....I miss the D
But you strongly recommend never riding illegally, right?

alentz

Chimp
May 9, 2006
Santa Monica
A real quick after work ride, which is also one of my fav local trails: Take Walnut Ave to Castle Rock Rd and go down Castle Rock all the way until you get to Castle Rock Park. Park there, then ride your bike through the park and go through the gate at the other side of the park. Follow that trail for as long as you wish - it's a very gradual climb after the initial short climb, and come back the same way and bomb through the creek crossings!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
We did a dawn patrol there once, worth the time going up with the lights on.

Did the same thing on Tam. Long ride up, very very fast ride down to the van.

Gotta do what you gotta do.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As for Dawn Patrol, I don't recommend any noon rides right now.

Although, if no one else will be out then, hmmmm....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Thanks for all the input...finally got one bike delivered on Friday, might be able to ride as soon...

They only shipped half my stuff, so I'm still waiting on all my other bikes, tools, etc...

Might actually be having a big garage sale if it all proves to be too voluminous for our apartment. I think I need to trim the fat.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
90's I can deal with, 110's are another issue.
Besides, people over by Tam look at a fat brother funny when he's pounding a bar burger and his fourth beer at 8 in the morning on a Tuesday.

If that ain't livin, I don't know what is.