Quantcast

Mt. Hood or Willamette Pass DH Race

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Hi fellow PNW's! These races are on the same weekend and I'm torn. I've never done either. Anyone have any input regarding one or the other?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Beginner/Sport--this will be my first race! I have a brand new Rotec to ride, which I'm very excited about. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the courses are like and if one has a way better atmosphere and feel than another...I can always flip a coin I suppose. :)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
GrapeApe79 said:
Beginner/Sport--this will be my first race! I have a brand new Rotec to ride, which I'm very excited about. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what the courses are like and if one has a way better atmosphere and feel than another...I can always flip a coin I suppose. :)
What color? Pics? I'm just up in Bothell, we should ride sometime!

Here's mine...You're going to love racing it. The bad boy just flows!

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Sweet bike!! I'm glad to hear you like yours! My Rotec is grey with the Fox 40 fork and Marz Roco shock. The bike will be all built up by the end of this weekend, so I'll be sure to post pics on the PNW forum. I'm in Issaquah--would love to ride sometime. Where do you take your bike around here? Exit 38? I'll be testing it out up at Whistler next weekend! :)

jake133

Monkey
Jan 21, 2005
SLC, Utah
If you live in WA, go to hood.
But I don't see why they had to have a race on the same day, pretty stupid if you ask me.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
GrapeApe79 said:
Sweet bike!! I'm glad to hear you like yours! My Rotec is grey with the Fox 40 fork and Marz Roco shock. The bike will be all built up by the end of this weekend, so I'll be sure to post pics on the PNW forum. I'm in Issaquah--would love to ride sometime. Where do you take your bike around here? Exit 38? I'll be testing it out up at Whistler next weekend! :)
Frizzle frack!!! I was gonna be up there, but an event that I can't pass up popped up unexpectedly....I thought it was going to be tomorrow...but alas, turns out it's a week from tomorrow....D'OH!!!
I don't ride too much at 38 anymore, since a buddy got popped for $275....sux!:dead: :redhot: My next 4 weekends are toast!! I don't have a weekend open until July 1 and I'll be up in Whistler from June 30-July 5th....So pretty much my next DH ride will be June 30....sigh...guess I'll have plenty of Rotec Erbon riding to do...least it'll be cheaper than blowing components up every weekend! You'll have a blast!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I only know the course at Hood. If you have been riding at Whistler you can do the sport course. The thing is that I think you only get one run at Hood, and two at Willamette if less than 120 racers attend. Which two runs is always :cool:

The atmosphere is pretty chill at Hood. Petr puts on a organized race, but it's super laid back:)

At Willamette you get tons of training on Saturday, something like 10 hours!

I guess it really comes down to how much riding you want to do, and how far you want to drive.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Secret Squirrel said:
Frizzle frack!!! I was gonna be up there, but an event that I can't pass up popped up unexpectedly....I thought it was going to be tomorrow...but alas, turns out it's a week from tomorrow....D'OH!!!
I don't ride too much at 38 anymore, since a buddy got popped for $275....sux!:dead: :redhot: My next 4 weekends are toast!! I don't have a weekend open until July 1 and I'll be up in Whistler from June 30-July 5th....So pretty much my next DH ride will be June 30....sigh...guess I'll have plenty of Rotec Erbon riding to do...least it'll be cheaper than blowing components up every weekend! You'll have a blast!
What a coincidence! I'll be up at Whistler from June 30-July 5 as well. 10 of us are crashing in a condo together. I'm sure I'll see ya considering your Orange Rotec will be hard to miss! Look for a chick with a grey Rotec! I so hope that the upper mtn will be open by then! If so, I'll be spending tons of time on No Joke!

SteezyWeezy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2006
portland, oregon
im kinda torn also, but i live in portland, so im prolly jsut gonna go to hood since it's closer, and it's and OBRA race, but im not even sure if i can go

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Thanks Snacks! I like the idea of getting more riding time--that could be the deciding factor! I think it will be worth it for the longer drive...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
GrapeApe79 said:
What a coincidence! I'll be up at Whistler from June 30-July 5 as well. 10 of us are crashing in a condo together. I'm sure I'll see ya considering your Orange Rotec will be hard to miss! Look for a chick with a grey Rotec! I so hope that the upper mtn will be open by then! If so, I'll be spending tons of time on No Joke!
Excellent!! If you know anyone else going up, I'd be down for splitting room accomodations! Yeah, I'm kinda hard to miss...at 6'7", my XXXL neon green jersey is pretty hard to miss! Don't suppose you or anyone else will be heading to Deer Valley afterwards?? Cause I'm leavin' real early on the 5th to do the drive in a day....

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Secret Squirrel said:
Excellent!! If you know anyone else going up, I'd be down for splitting room accomodations! Yeah, I'm kinda hard to miss...at 6'7", my XXXL neon green jersey is pretty hard to miss! Don't suppose you or anyone else will be heading to Deer Valley afterwards?? Cause I'm leavin' real early on the 5th to do the drive in a day....
I do have some friends who may have room in their pad--I'll PM you if they are interested...as far as Deer Valley--unfortunately not. Sounds tempting though!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
SteezyWeezy said:
im kinda torn also, but i live in portland, so im prolly jsut gonna go to hood since it's closer, and it's and OBRA race, but im not even sure if i can go
It's actually a dual sanctioned race, meaning that if you race expert/elite/pro, you must have a norba annual license. Beginners and sport riders can have an obra license (annual or day), or buy a one day norba license.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I am going to Willamette Pass if I go to either. I might be in Whistler so I am not sure. Most of the riders I have talked to have said they are going to the WP race. The sport course at Willammette is more fun in my opinion, and you get a lot more riding time. The extra riding time can be spent on all the other trails they have at Willammete. I like WP a little more because they have a lot more trails. I kinda get bored after a few hours at skibowl. Willamette has a lot of man made jumps and obstacles, also. If you don't mind the extra few hours Willamette is totally worth it.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
cederrowe said:
What's the cost of the day license compared to the year? Thanks
NORBA
Day(for sport or Beginners)- $5
Annual for expert- $60
Anuual for Pro- $150

OBRA
Day(any class)- $5
Annual(any class)- $20

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Heidi said:
Don't forget OBRA annual licenses are FREE for juniors!!!!!
Sorry about that, FREE OBRA LICENSES FOR JUNIORS!!

And Snacks, yes I will be racing the super d!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Snacks said:
Do you know any thing about the course? Like how long? Are you riding your trail bike on it?
I'm not sure yet what the course is going to be. Randy said he was going up there next week to check out all the courses and see if any changes needed to be made due to snow that may still be up there. He thought that might need to reroute the Super D course for the first race because of snow, so there's a chance the regular route will not be used until the second race. I've never seen the course though so I have no idea what to expect in terms of how much climbing there will be or how long it is. I will be on my FXR though, and if I'm really lucky, I'll be on my new 2:1 FXR!!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:
I'm not sure yet what the course is going to be. Randy said he was going up there next week to check out all the courses and see if any changes needed to be made due to snow that may still be up there. He thought that might need to reroute the Super D course for the first race because of snow, so there's a chance the regular route will not be used until the second race. I've never seen the course though so I have no idea what to expect in terms of how much climbing there will be or how long it is. I will be on my FXR though, and if I'm really lucky, I'll be on my new 2:1 FXR!!
WOW! I new bike on it's first race:love: You'll be on fire for sure:cool: I'm on the fence about doing the Super D. I don't want to die, but I could bring my trail bike down to race it:)

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Snacks said:
WOW! I new bike on it's first race:love: You'll be on fire for sure:cool: I'm on the fence about doing the Super D. I don't want to die, but I could bring my trail bike down to race it:)
I'm not holding my breath about the bike getting here in time. I only decided to get it, and ordered it just last week so most likely it won't be here for the 16th, but there are plenty more races this summer to show it off at!

You should give it a shot. It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
UPDATE:

Randy just posted on the OBRA mailing list that the DH course is clear of snow and ready to go! The super d course will be decided upon this weekend, so I'm guessing there is too much snow somewhere on the course and they will be changing it.

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
Willamette pass, no question! Better riding, especially early in the year. Better resturant. Better (and safer) lift. And MUCH more time to ride and practice. Not to mention if you are camping, there is way more good places to camp. Oh yeah, did I mention better trails?

h22ekhatch

Monkey
Jun 13, 2005
Portland
killowatt said:
Willamette pass, no question! Better riding, especially early in the year. Better resturant. Better (and safer) lift. And MUCH more time to ride and practice. Not to mention if you are camping, there is way more good places to camp. Oh yeah, did I mention better trails?
In the wintertime I would agree with you about the restaurant...but in the summer I think skibowl wins (cuz they cook to order instead of having 25 burgers done already like in the winter). Maybe I am just upset though because I just back from WP and I feel like I have food poisoning.

I think both mountains are in a competition to see who has the slowest lift. :)

I have a question tho...the original poster said he was gonna race beginner or sport. What are the courses for each class on each mountain?

Skibowl:

beginner: gnar gnar trail?
sport: fire hydrant?

What about the upper portions for each of these classes? Also, is the snow on the top of skibowl melted yet? Are they gonna do just half mountain races this time around?

Willamette pass:

beginner: ezr? (if so, dont bother. That thing is like a dirt sidewalk)
sport?

Today the only signs I saw were "ezr" and expert"...but there was a third trail that intersected that seemed more intermediate...but I wasnt sure where it started at exactly.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Heidi said:
Snacks, you should be fine on a trail bike, that's all I'm racing on. COME DOWN!!!!!
We are coming down for the DH race for sure, but I'm on the fence about doing the Super D. I'm not really in climbing race shape:oink: I think I'll bring my DH and trail bike down and see how I feel.