Quantcast

Mt Snow Nationals

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
So uh... regardless of the venue bashing (I have no opinion as I've never been), anyone have a good course description? Pictures, maybe a video? It'll be my first time out on the east coast and really have no idea what I'm in for.
Going on a week long trip, 2 days of Diablo then making my way to Mt. Snow for the race. Should be fun, but I don't know what to expect. From the looks of the race in Stars and Bars, the course looks like just one wide open, muddy, ski run down the hill with some rock waterfall type stuff... there has to be some woods sections or something right?

116CJ

Chimp
Jul 1, 2008
SLC
So uh... regardless of the venue bashing (I have no opinion as I've never been), anyone have a good course description? Pictures, maybe a video? It'll be my first time out on the east coast and really have no idea what I'm in for.
Going on a week long trip, 2 days of Diablo then making my way to Mt. Snow for the race. Should be fun, but I don't know what to expect. From the looks of the race in Stars and Bars, the course looks like just one wide open, muddy, ski run down the hill with some rock waterfall type stuff... there has to be some woods sections or something right?
beg/sport is almost all fire road. expert pro course has a decent amount in the woods. the course map is right here.

http://www.mountsnow.com/sobedh/images/course.pdf

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
You described it well. A few minor woods sections last year, but this year is quite a bit different and if what I understand is true it is from the Sobe series course which is an improvement. Bring spare rims in any case.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
You described it well. A few minor woods sections last year, but this year is quite a bit different and if what I understand is true it is from the Sobe series course which is an improvement. Bring spare rims in any case.
So I take that it's gonna be rocky! Sounds good to me. I race expert so it's good to hear the ex/pro course is a bit more challenging than straight up fire road.
I'm bringing the minimum for a race since I'm flying from CA. Gonna squeeze everything in two wheel boxes to avoid bike luggage fee's so there wont be room from another rim... hopefully if something blows up I can buy a spare wheel at the race.
This should be a fun trip!

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
So I take that it's gonna be rocky! Sounds good to me. I race expert so it's good to hear the ex/pro course is a bit more challenging than straight up fire road.
I'm bringing the minimum for a race since I'm flying from CA. Gonna squeeze everything in two wheel boxes to avoid bike luggage fee's so there wont be room from another rim... hopefully if something blows up I can buy a spare wheel at the race.
This should be a fun trip!
You may need some extra rims, but I wouldn't describe the course as challenging.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I was up there today getting a little early practice in on the lower section. They got rid of the grand central sprint which was nice. You go down slick rock highway and go straight instead of taking that left turn down onto the woods. Cross a ski trail, another short straight flat wood section with a stream crossing, and then a really long straight away across another ski trail (Sundance) that requires pedaling. Go into the woods after that and theres a big rock with a smooth transition up it to a 4 foot drop. Land, go through some rocks/stream bed, and into a bunch of decent corners (medium dirt, hard underneath with a softer top). Theres one bridge about a foot wide covered in chicken wire over a muddy section. After that comes a fast nearly straight shot through the woods, out across a bridge and another ski trail, and back into the woods for a series of s-turns that lead you right onto the very last portion of grand central sprint, right before the final water bar. Same flat corners as the 4th race last year and through the finish.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I was up there today getting a little early practice in on the lower section. They got rid of the grand central sprint which was nice. You go down slick rock highway and go straight instead of taking that left turn down onto the woods. Cross a ski trail, another short straight flat wood section with a stream crossing, and then a really long straight away across another ski trail (Sundance) that requires pedaling. Go into the woods after that and theres a big rock with a smooth transition up it to a 4 foot drop. Land, go through some rocks/stream bed, and into a bunch of decent corners (medium dirt, hard underneath with a softer top). Theres one bridge about a foot wide covered in chicken wire over a muddy section. After that comes a fast nearly straight shot through the woods, out across a bridge and another ski trail, and back into the woods for a series of s-turns that lead you right onto the very last portion of grand central sprint, right before the final water bar. Same flat corners as the 4th race last year and through the finish.

dope sounds awesome, i remember a few guys told mt snow to change it and use that section of the woods instead of the fireroad. heck i guess they listened to us riders.

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
I believe so. They changed grand central but they couldn't get rid of that. It wouldn't be hard to have the course take a sharp right once your out of the first short woods section, couple open turns down the ski trail, and connect right after the roots.

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
dope sounds awesome, i remember a few guys told mt snow to change it and use that section of the woods instead of the fireroad. heck i guess they listened to us riders.
Don't get too excited, unless you plan on moving up to expert in the next week, you'll be riding 90% ski slope.

Flips

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
whistler
hey, i made a hotel reservation at the west dover inn and i am not going to be able to make it to the race and i cannot get a refund. if there is anyone looking for a place to stay for cheap please contact me! thanks!!!!

katie

holdenkatie@gmail.com

jcook90

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2006
Connecticut
Yeah I should have mentioned it was the pro/expert course. My dad was able to ride the beg/sport course with no problems

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
I'm looking forward to the new course. after my bike getting jacked last year i want revenge.

Last edited: