Quantcast

Mt. Wilson 8/20

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Anyone interested in doing a Wilson run this coming Saturday (8/20)?

As of now myself, TGreathead, and possibly a guy who works for Romic are going (he can't go anymore).

PM me....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
fiddy_ryder said:
hmm.. not sure how the ill hold up on the hardtail.. im a maybe ...
Wilson is super fun on a hard tail. Just pin it all the way down. :thumb:

I'd love to go, but have plans on sat. Next time!

Nagaredama: You get a new bike?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Nagaredama said:
Yeah, I have an 04 Yeti AS-X on the way! How do you like your Cove and 04 Super T?
:drool: Yeti ASX... :drool:

I am lovin the Cove W/ super T. Took it up to SB for a tunnel run last weekend and she did great. You can tell she's more freeride oriented then pure DH. After adjusting the shock a bit she feels even better. Now if only I could learn to ride. :think:

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Romic guy can't go but I'm still in. I've gotta see what the Preston can do :sneaky:
Do we have a guide? (since Romic guy and mario are out)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
tgreathead said:
Romic guy can't go but I'm still in. I've gotta see what the Preston can do :sneaky:
Do we have a guide? (since Romic guy and mario are out)
I think Nagaredama knows his way around but if you guys need info let me know... I'll pm you directions and a map.

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
I think Nagaredama knows his way around but if you guys need info let me know... I'll pm you directions and a map.
He and I have only been there once almost a year ago and we both don't remember anything except 'go downhill'.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
i can ride the sx. but i cant ride saturday either way. i broke the insert ont he derailleur hangar and i got a new floating brake.

IMALLSLO

Chimp
May 28, 2002
Alhambra,Ca
Nagaredama said:
Anyone interested in doing a Wilson run this coming Saturday (8/20)?

As of now myself, TGreathead, and possibly a guy who works for Romic are going (he can't go anymore).

PM me....
If you guys get an early start I wouldnt mind being a tour guide. The earlier the better to beat the heat and hikers. Anything after 8-9 is asking for trouble and run-ins. I was thinking a 7-7:30ish start. Let me know if interested.

Chris

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
marlopez said:
is anyone available sunday?
I'm available if I do it early (gotta spend at least some time with my wife). If I go Saturday too I think I'll be cool for another run.
Do you know another good trail or are you itching for a Wilson run like the rest of us? Maybe then Romic guy can come too.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
tgreathead said:
I'm available if I do it early (gotta spend at least some time with my wife). If I go Saturday too I think I'll be cool for another run.
Do you know another good trail or are you itching for a Wilson run like the rest of us? Maybe then Romic guy can come too.
the only trails i know here are wilson, kenter, and the 2 illegal ones by me. but im down to ride whatever. i just really need to ride. its been 4 weeks!

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
marlopez said:
the only trails i know here are wilson, kenter, and the 2 illegal ones by me. but im down to ride whatever. i just really need to ride. its been 4 weeks!
Jeez, someone get you a trail STAT!!

I know more than a few XC rides but hardly any of Wilson caliber. I'm down to do it twice, I remember wanting to go again right away last time. My riding back to back combined with your lack of riding for a month should equal out the same amount of breaks :)
Put me down as long as we go early. What time would you want to go? What kind of car do you have for shuttling (can't remember, maybe you had a Bronco or something). I've got a 4Runner now with 2 bike hitch and more if we throw them in the back or the front wheel comes off. The other guy I'm gonna try to get to go has a big ass truck so maybe he could park at the bottom and we take my car up (nobody has to sit in the Jack-in-the-Box parking lot with bikes this time like I did last time :rolleyes: )

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
mtnbrider said:
Can I go? I have an azonic evolution hardtail with a 5 inch fork?
Only if you hump the bars as well as your avatar :thumb:

I don't see why not if you're cool with the hardtail. Like others have said, it can be done on a hardtail, just be ready to soak up 17 miles of bumpin' with your legs instead of a shock. Personally I could never do it on a hardtail, my legs would give out. I let my suspension do the work while I have fun.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thats me humping my bars. I rode morning glory this morning and last sunday (above cal poly, San Louis Obispo, CA) It is really rock. Is this a rocky trail?

tgreathead

Monkey
Jan 14, 2005
Los Angeles
mtnbrider said:
Thats me humping my bars. I rode morning glory this morning and last sunday (above cal poly, San Louis Obispo, CA) It is really rock. Is this a rocky trail?
From what I remember, yes. Of course I had a bad experience last time; my Fox Float blew 2 miles into the ride. I rode with a completely dead rear end the whole way down. Not just compressed but dead and flapping. It sucked for me and my bike.
Maybe someone else who knows more about it can chime in or compare it to the trails he's done.

marlopez

Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
West LA
tgreathead said:
Jeez, someone get you a trail STAT!!

Put me down as long as we go early. What time would you want to go? What kind of car do you have for shuttling (can't remember, maybe you had a Bronco or something). I've got a 4Runner now with 2 bike hitch and more if we throw them in the back or the front wheel comes off. The other guy I'm gonna try to get to go has a big ass truck so maybe he could park at the bottom and we take my car up (nobody has to sit in the Jack-in-the-Box parking lot with bikes this time like I did last time :rolleyes: )
im free to go whenever on sunday. just set a time and ill be there. i also have a 4runner w/ a 2 bike hitch rack. but i dont like putting bikes int he back of my car. i like it clean. haha but if need be i could

mtnbrider said:
it's not anything close to as rocky as morning glory. it's more like shooter's if youve ridden that. except its not as fast and its more singletrack

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
17 miles,, not sure if im in shape for that or not. i get winded at kenter riding from the tent down to the pavement :D seriously, ill have to consider wilson. if i dont go there ill be out at working on the jump skills sat and sun ..

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
OK folks I can make it to the SATURDAY shuttle. I'll guide if you want. Meet at the JPL parking lot on Windsor ave. I have a Honda CRV and can drive us back up to get the shuttle vehicles but we need a truck or two to get us and our bikes up there.

Meet at 10:30 am.

Make sure you bring water, don't wear jeans (this ain't the north shore and you are going to climb a bit), and whatever else you need. If you're asthmatic, bring your inhaler. Remember, it's over a 10 mile ride.

Fun times! See y'all on Saturday.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
I may be able to swing that saturday ride at 10:30, trying to work out some coverage for my little one. If not, is anyone up for riding Saturday or Sunday afternoon, maybe 4 or 5ish? Gonna be hot this weekend!! We can check out this spot about 30minutes east of wilson: DJing, drops, stepdowns, etc. Let me know.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
bfranke said:
I may be able to swing that saturday ride at 10:30, trying to work out some coverage for my little one. If not, is anyone up for riding Saturday or Sunday afternoon, maybe 4 or 5ish? Gonna be hot this weekend!! We can check out this spot about 30minutes east of wilson: DJing, drops, stepdowns, etc. Let me know.
whats the spot like in the east? how big are the dubs and drops? im not sure if ill have time for the shuttle on saturday.

bfranke

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
San Diego
fiddy_ryder said:
whats the spot like in the east? how big are the dubs and drops? im not sure if ill have time for the shuttle on saturday.
The dubs vary, similar to the whoops in size. Except for the 40' with 6' step down :thumb: There's a step-up to 10' drop that is sweet, http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123040&page=4 Scroll down for pics. The place has a few short runs, just keep pushing back up, so later afternoon is key due to heat stroke possibilities.