Quantcast

MTB-downhill near Nice, France possible?

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Does anyone know if any of the skiing resorts close to Nice also offer downhill-mtbing? And if so what time of the year?

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
pra-loup. search it. it hosts the masters world championships.
Yeah thanks :) but was thinking of something abit closer, Pra-Loup is about 250 km from Nice, I was thinking along the lines of 50-150 km, like Isola 2000 (they have skiing, but haven't found any info on MTB). And more specifically something which is open sometime between february and may.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Auron and Roubion ski resorts...but in winter and early spring definatly check Peille, Sospel and over the border in Italy San Romolo and Pieve di Teco.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Auron and Roubion ski resorts...but in winter and early spring definatly check Peille, Sospel and over the border in Italy San Romolo and Pieve di Teco.
Thanks! My french isn't what it should be but after looking around Roubion seems to have some good trails. Have you been to any of these places yourselves? I guess it's possible to rent decent downhill-bikes and protection too?

michar

Chimp
Nov 16, 2009
i have been in nice for biking this year! very nice area! try sospel..very nice trails..more freeride and very fast! peille is more a realy hard downhill track...many many rocks! but both can only reached by car...but there are streets on top of the hills..to shuttle is no problem! sospel and peille are both easy to find..the downhill in peille ends on a big parkin area directly on the main street shortly before you reach peille ,,city,,! the trail in sospel is a bit more hidden..but sospel is not very big...you must go up the hill behind the brigde..there is a school near the road up the hill! on top are some old bulidings from the second world war! wenn you follow the road up the hill you see the trail easily! When you drive about 30 minutes from nice to italy..san remo..there are also very nice legal dh tracks! many pro's go up there for training too...
About another hour away is finale ligure..also italy...and also very nice trails! the gee atherton thing in nwd 10 is filmed in finale ligure and san remo! many parts in unhinged are also filmed in peille and sospel...matthi for example an fabian barel! in earthed 3 fabian also rides in sospel and peille!

i loved riding there...in summer its defently too hot..the best time to travel there ist march-mai and september-october! i have been there in the end of september and the weather was perfekt! hot..but not too hot! but perfekt to go in the water ! the trails are very rocky in this area...i think for sospel a freeride bike is ok..but when you want to hit the big things an go fast in peille a dh bike is better! san remo has both..freeride and downhill..same in finale ligure!

Last edited:

Mudstud

Chimp
Nov 7, 2009
Winterthur, Switzerland
Another, more all-mountainish alternative around Nice that definitely deserves being mentioned is the course of the Roc d'Azur's marathon race, which starts and ends in Fréjus. Lots of singletrails with scenic views of the mediterranean.
Definitely too nice a course to share it with thousands of other bikers at the beginning of Octobre.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
What about Cap d'Ail? That's near Nice isn't it? Do people still ride there?

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
i have been in nice for biking this year! very nice area! try sospel..very nice trails..more freeride and very fast! peille is more a realy hard downhill track...many many rocks! but both can only reached by car...but there are streets on top of the hills..to shuttle is no problem! sospel and peille are both easy to find..the downhill in peille ends on a big parkin area directly on the main street shortly before you reach peille ,,city,,! the trail in sospel is a bit more hidden..but sospel is not very big...you must go up the hill behind the brigde..there is a school near the road up the hill! on top are some old bulidings from the second world war! wenn you follow the road up the hill you see the trail easily! When you drive about 30 minutes from nice to italy..san remo..there are also very nice legal dh tracks! many pro's go up there for training too...
About another hour away is finale ligure..also italy...and also very nice trails! the gee atherton thing in nwd 10 is filmed in finale ligure and san remo! many parts in unhinged are also filmed in peille and sospel...matthi for example an fabian barel! in earthed 3 fabian also rides in sospel and peille!

i loved riding there...in summer its defently too hot..the best time to travel there ist march-mai and september-october! i have been there in the end of september and the weather was perfekt! hot..but not too hot! but perfekt to go in the water ! the trails are very rocky in this area...i think for sospel a freeride bike is ok..but when you want to hit the big things an go fast in peille a dh bike is better! san remo has both..freeride and downhill..same in finale ligure!
Thanks, I'll be going there to study, so will be there 4 months. I won't be able to bring my bike so I'm looking for a place where I can rent a bike too, so preferably some place which has a lift, trails and bike rental.

michar

Chimp
Nov 16, 2009
Thanks, I'll be going there to study, so will be there 4 months. I won't be able to bring my bike so I'm looking for a place where I can rent a bike too, so preferably some place which has a lift, trails and bike rental.
i'm sorry to say that..but i haven't heared anything about the possibility to rent good bikes for good money! i mean this area is one of the best areas i have been with my bike...there are so many good trails! try to get your bike to nice or buy a bike in france! i would hate myself when i go there again without my bike..next year i will be there again for some weeks! i took my enduro/freeride bike with me this year..in peille it was defently hard with 150mm travel! but anyway great fun! this pictures here are me riding in sospel...

Last edited: