Quantcast

mtb jobs

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
well ive got to decide if i want to reenlist in the military and i was just wondering if anyone has a carrer that is bike related? whether it is a pro rider, bike shop owner, ect.......

just looking for some ideas because i really want to have a job related to what i love most.

so if you have a job related to biking please let me know and maybe some info on how to get into it/if you like it.

thanks guys and gals

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
Dont go back to the military are you nuts? Become a shop owner or a sales rep, in this economy people are going to buy bikes so they dont have to drive cars. My friends dad is a sales rep and he has not seen any drop in sales at all. People will always ride bikes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Get a bike related military job. I know hull techs in the Navy that ride around the ship yard all day on a Schwinn Heavy Duty trying to seem like they have somewhere to be.

Sacredg

Chimp
Nov 25, 2008
I work for a Adventure company in virginia. I am one of the mountain bike instructor. pretty awesome gig. i get paid to ride, and teach others how to ride better. I could be doing a lot worse jobs.

I am planning to open a shop with one of my best friends one day. after he has gone to mechanic school. so in a few years I hope. Good luck to you, hope you find what your looking for.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
well ive got to decide if i want to reenlist in the military and i was just wondering if anyone has a carrer that is bike related? whether it is a pro rider, bike shop owner, ect.......

just looking for some ideas because i really want to have a job related to what i love most.

so if you have a job related to biking please let me know and maybe some info on how to get into it/if you like it.

thanks guys and gals
What do you do in the Military? Which branch??

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am planning to open a shop with one of my best friends one day. after he has gone to mechanic school. so in a few years I hope. Good luck to you, hope you find what your looking for.
Oh the irony. I am supposed to open a shop with my best friend, but he keeps getting sent to the desert. :rofl:

And he wonders why I got out when I did.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
HTML:
What do you do in the Military? Which branch??
im a crewchief on the KC-135
Holy cow! I worked on those when I was in the service back in '78-'82. They were old then! Most of the birds I was working on were built in '60-'61.

BTW, I fixed the instrument systems. Most fun I had was as a 2 striper telling a full bird colonel that he wasn't flying home that day because I was grounding his plane. My shop chief backed me on the grounding, too.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
Holy cow! I worked on those when I was in the service back in '78-'82. They were old then! Most of the birds I was working on were built in '60-'61.
yea there getting phased out now but god knows how long that will take. there built from 57-64. old birds but still flyin.

im a triple airman right now and it is awsome telling officers that there out of luck!

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Is there a re-enlistment bonus for 135 crew chiefs? I am a crew chief on F16's and I just re-enlisted last year with a bonus of $15,000 lump sum. My wife is staying in and they upped the bonus to $20,000.
IF you can get a good bonus then stick it out. If you really like it then stick it out. If you can't stand then definitely look around. I stayed in because of the money that I am being paid right now and because I run my decal/design/photo business from home during my off time.

Where are you stationed?

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
right now im at al-udied but home station is mcconnel ks, what about you?

Is there a re-enlistment bonus for 135 crew chiefs?
theres a varying bonus right now but i dont want to stay in because of the money i want to stay in because its what i want to do and i really want to have my life wraped around bikes. dont get me wrong i love my job and i would like to do it for another 12 but just weighing out my options

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, thats a tough choice when you already love what you do. I suggest you sit back, and look at what the total cost is going to be for starting up a new bike shop. Its quite a bit, getting a good brand in, getting your overhead going, finding the right location. Friend of mine started his bike shop probably 16 years ago, and is still workign a regular job to make ends meet. While others have started a shop after coming into money, and done really well. Like I said, its a tough choice. I work at a shop on weekends, a regular weekdays. If I were to go Full time at teh Bikeshop, I could endup making around the same I do workingon cars, but it wouldnt be right away. It would take a couple years to get to where I am at now. Benefits arent near as good either. Maybe when I retire I will go full on bike shop employee

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
yea i guess the responsible thing to do would be stick it out in the air force and retire here. with a retirement paycheck coming in monthly at age 38 then just work at a shop or try my hand at starting one up.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
right now im at al-udied but home station is mcconnel ks, what about you?

theres a varying bonus right now but i dont want to stay in because of the money i want to stay in because its what i want to do and i really want to have my life wraped around bikes. dont get me wrong i love my job and i would like to do it for another 12 but just weighing out my options
Ahhh, club med of the desert. We were there in '04 and at the time it sucked until we went to Balad, Iraq a few times after. Every time we go to Qatar on the way to Balad or on the way home it is like a mini vacation. Plus that newish 24 hr chow hall RULES!!!
I am in the Vermont Air National Guard but I have been on active duty orders for 7 years so I am sticking it out for 13 more and getting my AD 20 year retirement and hopefully my business will be much bigger by then.
I am not saying stay in it for just the money, it is just that it is a nice chunk of change to get some things paid off or definitely save for later.
Good luck on your decision, don't make up your mind while you are in Qatar.

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
my third time here and one in iraq so im not panicking because im here but i just have a lot of time to think about things while im deployed, no alchohol or sushi to blur my thought ya know.

any good riding in vermont, im trying to find a place to retire when the time comes. maybe buy up some land before hand so i have something to go to.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Get to know an area well and hire yourself as a guide. I do a bit of DH guiding in the Portes du Soleil here in France. Massive region (27 chairlifts, each with DH tracks under them).

Great to be paid to ride your bike.

Good luck.