Quantcast

MTBR DH forum WTF?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
What the hell is going on over there???
Do you have to be part of some club to even follow the teen age threads over there??

It's been post after post of jokes and random stuff i can't even seem to follow.Crap-i'm over 30 and maybe it's starting to show.

What's wierd is the Turner forum is full of the nerdiest bunch of techno dudes imaginable and the DH forum makes me feel embarrased to be a DH kind of guy.It gives me this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach,like this is the people that are into my sport or something.The DH forum stands out like a sore thumb like i stumbled into this pre teen chat room where people are calling each other out because they ride a shiver and they suck.

Thankfully this place is great!!!

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
I agree, i don't get the same "RM Vibe" from MTBR or any other site. I've love to see, atleast in the RM DH forum, a control which restricted people with less than say 250 posts from starting brand new threads. The idea is that if someone sticks around for 250 posts or whatever, hopefully theyve made a few relationships, earned some respect and learned alittle about the RM culture and won't be a total jacka.ss

It will be a sad day if I have to troll thru countless BS threads on Ridemonkey to find one worth reading. Pinkbike has been at that place for along time, MTBR is now there.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I sometimes go there to see if there are some interesting discussions.....but even though there should be a good topic...the responses are often somewhat weird.

aggrorider

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
leprechaun said:
It gives me this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach,like this is the people that are into my sport or something
I got that same feeling just two seconds ago! It felt wierd going into that forum. Unexplainable, but you got close to it.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I think more aggressive moderation is the answer - there are too many obnoxious "hay guys what fork/frame/brakes/whatever should I get", among other things

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Well at least i'm not alone-or worse-get blasted by someone!

I'm a dad,if i was an older dad and had a kid who wanted to get into DH and i happened to look over there to get some info i would be a bit concerned about what my kid was getting into.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
The MTBR DH forum is trash. I pretty much stopped going there when they switched over to the new format a couple years ago. Its over run by a bunch of kids (much like RM's SB kids) who l_l53 l_337 5934l<. It really went down hill (no pun intended) when Zedro stepped down from moderator. Speaking of Zedro; where the hell is that guy? Did he just drop off the face of the planet?

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
I never used the internet when i was growing up or even a computer !
I'm 33 & feel like i don't get much sitting here on dial-up poking around for hours on these forums..I guess it's like a smoker that can't go cold turkey ?
see. here i am again right now....

Maybe i'll get a 75# button keyboard so at least my fingers will be strong for the brake levers !lol

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
i gave up on that place, too many annoying posters and stupid pointless threads. i get my racerboi content on RM:blah: :thumb:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I don't go over there any more. Frankly I'd rather hang at PinkBike. ShiverMeTimbers posts too much.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
SD_TMTB said:
While I somewhat agree I actually read this forum on a regular basis and am obviously still here. I can rarely stand to read anything off of MTBR.
Well, in the same time span where there may be 10 useless posts on that site, there's nothing here.

In this case, it seems that the grass is always greener where you are standing. Neither site seems "better", more traffic on one, but I've seen plenty of crap on this site too.

Ive been on the various sites from 1998 or so, they really aren't that different in the big picture. People always seem to magnify the differences, but I rarely see anything that makes one better than the other, just a bit different.

redical

Monkey
May 19, 2004
leprechaun said:
What the hell is going on over there???
Do you have to be part of some club to even follow the teen age threads over there??

It's been post after post of jokes and random stuff i can't even seem to follow.Crap-i'm over 30 and maybe it's starting to show.

What's wierd is the Turner forum is full of the nerdiest bunch of techno dudes imaginable and the DH forum makes me feel embarrased to be a DH kind of guy.It gives me this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach,like this is the people that are into my sport or something.The DH forum stands out like a sore thumb like i stumbled into this pre teen chat room where people are calling each other out because they ride a shiver and they suck.

Thankfully this place is great!!!
Sounds like you should ask your boss to pull his advertising $s from it. :)

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I went over there once to check on some intense cycles thread, because some goons were measuring .dickhair of an inch travel differences on bikes. That was enough for me...This place has its share of clowns too, but for some reason it is funnier.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I remember being a member on Mtbr in 1998 or 1999...back when Stratos was THE suspension company, a lot of people had Hanebrink forks and people wanted big heavy bikes with 24" wheels.

I post in the DH forum maybe once every 6 months. The last post I put up was when some kid asked what company makes loud hubs. I replied saying to take apart the hub, clean the grease out, shove some dirt in there and then rebuild.

As for where zedro is, I'm not sure. Matt is probably working really hard and doesn't have time for online forums anymore or he's taking that "I'm too cool for online forums" break.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Banshee Rider said:
The MTBR DH forum is trash. I pretty much stopped going there when they switched over to the new format a couple years ago. Its over run by a bunch of kids (much like RM's SB kids) who l_l53 l_337 5934l<. It really went down hill (no pun intended) when Zedro stepped down from moderator. Speaking of Zedro; where the hell is that guy? Did he just drop off the face of the planet?
Nope, you've got it backwards. Things were worse when zedro was moderator. He was neglecting the forum... (recently of course)

While I like the content here on ridemonkey slightly better, there is still a few too many "will a demo work for dh racing?" type threads. Not to mention the recent issue with moderators taking forever to delete offensive posts.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...havn't had a chance to read all of the posts in this thread, but I will say this about MTBR: it has its positive and negative aspects, but as of late it has become very juvenile in nature. Not a lot of good information or experienced riders to gather useful information from.

I dig RM because the conversation is more informed and less junvenile (most of the time anyway :D )... we all get passionate about something and start talking out of our arses from time to time - myself included.

What I like most is that RM seems to still be below the radar when compared to the other MTB sites. I don't even mention RM anymore when I'm visiting other boards. Keeps out the J.V. crowd (Junior Varsity - :D )

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i visit only ghost rider`s site/forum which is under construction, Croatian mtb forum just to bring news and stuff and RM,
RM is the best because here people are not full of crap like on pinkbike and other sites/forums, here are some wise and experience ("old":D ) people ...

RM rules :thumb:

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
As the recently new mod on the DH board over there I have to say that it has improved a LOT compared to what it used to be a few months ago, a lot of the clowns have left or stopped posting as much drivel. (Yes, there is a lot still being posted, but we're making it a gradual shift without everybody being little whiny asses about the shift towards a stricter posting environment) I think that the DH board here is a great place to come to and I find that there is a lot more technical information available here as well as experienced opinions instead of blatant inferences and assumptions but the board over there is getting better. We are coming down and severely warning members who act retarded as well as banning them from mtbr as a whole.

So don't worry, there is a bright future for the boards over there, I don't really think that I'd argue that one is immensely superior than the other, just different and better for different things, but we do see the light at the end of the tunnel and are starting to move towards it.

:p :)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
COmtbiker12 said:
As the recently new mod on the DH board over there I have to say that it has improved a LOT compared to what it used to be a few months ago, a lot of the clowns have left or stopped posting as much drivel. (Yes, there is a lot still being posted, but we're making it a gradual shift without everybody being little whiny asses about the shift towards a stricter posting environment) I think that the DH board here is a great place to come to and I find that there is a lot more technical information available here as well as experienced opinions instead of blatant inferences and assumptions but the board over there is getting better. We are coming down and severely warning members who act retarded as well as banning them from mtbr as a whole.

So don't worry, there is a bright future for the boards over there, I don't really think that I'd argue that one is immensely superior than the other, just different and better for different things, but we do see the light at the end of the tunnel and are starting to move towards it.

:p :)
You should feel dirty and ashamed for cheating on the Monkey like that.
:p

J

JRB

merrrrjig said:
It seems like it just started going way downhill a few weeks/months ago
Isn't it supposed to go downhill??? I have like 3 posts on mtbr, and will likely keep it that way.

*I rarely post on RM either. I don't know how that number got so big on post count. :think: Some went down a few weeks ago. Mine must have gone way up. ;)

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ChrisRobin said:
As for where zedro is, I'm not sure. Matt is probably working really hard and doesn't have time for online forums anymore or he's taking that "I'm too cool for online forums" break.
i could never put it into words before now :blah:

i guess after 8 years (one and a half of them as a mod) you just loose interest for awhile. Plus with the bike season cut short and too much work.....bah it's just easier to say i am too cool for all this right now....

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
zedro said:
i could never put it into words before now :blah:

i guess after 8 years (one and a half of them as a mod) you just loose interest for awhile. Plus with the bike season cut short and too much work.....bah it's just easier to say i am too cool for all this right now....
HE'S ALIVE :eek:

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I was looking over at MTBR a bunch when a bunch of obnoxious kids started posting too much here, but then somehow mtbr became worse, so with pinkbike, RM and MTBR all rife with awful threads and hasty posts, I'm thinking about firing up the ignore list, which to date I've never used nor given much thought to.

Does anyone use an ignore list, and does it screw up browsing or make understanding threads more difficult?

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Superdeft said:
I was looking over at MTBR a bunch when a bunch of obnoxious kids started posting too much here, but then somehow mtbr became worse, so with pinkbike, RM and MTBR all rife with awful threads and hasty posts, I'm thinking about firing up the ignore list, which to date I've never used nor given much thought to.

Does anyone use an ignore list, and does it screw up browsing or make understanding threads more difficult?
NO it doesn't mess anything up. You just get a message when you come across a post that you want to ignore that says something like:

"You can not read this message becasue "userabc123" is on your ignore list. Click here to see this message. Check here to remove "userabc123" from your ignore list."

J

JRB

I've apparently been ignored, and no one seems to have died. I did ignore some kids a few weeks back, until they were banned. It was quite nice. Adding some folks should help.