Quantcast

Mtn Creek changes hands again

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
They should forget the snow “business” and reforest the meadows like Highland.
Seriously though... hard times ahead for snow sports in many of the traditional areas in the USA. Anywhere south of Vermont/Maine frankly. Grew up 1/4 mile from the local ski hill, and recall the number of ski days (and sled-riding days) they had each year. It declined through the 90s to practically zero in the 2000s, and now they've taken the tow ropes down... this is Pennsylvania, higher elevation. You can only pump so much crap into the atmosphere before you start to see the effects... pretty telling on a direct/personal level.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
One way or another, most of us are noticing those effects in our local environment, unfortunately. :(

Seriously though... hard times ahead for snow sports in many of the traditional areas in the USA. Anywhere south of Vermont/Maine frankly. Grew up 1/4 mile from the local ski hill, and recall the number of ski days (and sled-riding days) they had each year. It declined through the 90s to practically zero in the 2000s, and now they've taken the tow ropes down... this is Pennsylvania, higher elevation. You can only pump so much crap into the atmosphere before you start to see the effects... pretty telling on a direct/personal level.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What hill? What part of PA?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yep we almost never have any accumulated snow here in Pittsburgh. I grew up here and it was very different when I was a kid...It's creepy. That said, more bike parks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yep we almost never have any accumulated snow here in Pittsburgh. I grew up here and it was very different when I was a kid...It's creepy. That said, more bike parks.
i would snowboard 7springs in the winter (had season passes once i could drive). but that was back around 2000-2002. they used to get natural snow fairly consistently. i'd get super excited when they open the glades.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
mtn creek still does a lot of business in the winter despite the snowmaking challenges, given its proximity to NYC.

wasn't highland shut down completely before opening as a bike park?
I wasn't really being serious about shutting the snow side down, I'm sure they do just fine w/ that proximity to NYC.

Some of the other guys were mentioning 7 springs, they have had some horrible snow years as of late. I'm shocked they have not put more behind the bike park.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's everywhere. Our primary resort starts just above sea level and in the last few years, it's rained on the bottom and the best terrain has not been good for years. Skied the North Face a few seasons ago on the one day it was actually open and after about 1/2 down, it was just crazy dangerous boilerplate. It blows my mind that we keep getting rain this far north.

Here's the bottom right now:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
i grew out near mckeeport (that's the school district i went to). i was in a small town between white oak and irwin
Nice. Used to chase this girl who lived in McKeesport :) Norwin (Irwin) was in our highschool athletic association. Used to kick their asses!

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
It's everywhere. Our primary resort starts just above sea level and in the last few years, it's rained on the bottom and the best terrain has not been good for years. Skied the North Face a few seasons ago on the one day it was actually open and after about 1/2 down, it was just crazy dangerous boilerplate. It blows my mind that we keep getting rain this far north.

Here's the bottom right now:
Where's that?