Quantcast

Mud spikes for 2010 V-10

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Can someone give me a size and tire rec. I went to put a 2.5 schwalbe muddy mary on this weekend and there wasn't enough clearance for the tire to spin freely. Not much for modding tires although I know thats an option. So what are you guys using on your V-10's.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I also tried using the Muddy Mary and it also was a no go. The only way I could get them to work was to take the rear fender off. That was a pain and kinda defeated the purpose. Do you have a torx or the flat bolt holding the rear fender at the chainstay?

I just ended up using cut Wetscreams.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I thought the muddy mary wasn't really a mud tire... from schwalbe's line up, the mud tire is the Dirty Dan isn't it? have you looked on the sticky "Complete Guide to Downhill Rubber"?

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Didnt want to take off the mud guard as its more of a hassle than its worth. Ive looked at the guide for tires, the muddy marry is a good mud spike but Im looking for what fits the V-10 within the rear without getting in the way of the mud guard.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Not tired it on a V10, but a Specialized Hillbilly in a 2.3 is a great tire for the slop, and isn't huge. Seems a hair narrower than a 2.5 Minion DHF.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Perhaps they do, but that's all I've tried. Plus, I'm so slow in the deep mud, it probably doesn't make much difference. However, I told myself (privately of course) that the narrower profile cuts through the mud better than the 2.5s which my might "float" more in deep mud. Altho I did notice the center knobs on the rear tire getting torn up pretty bad, so I've been thinking about replacements. Speaking of which, I am looking at a Storm or the much ballyhooed Hill Billy, and I agree with abovementioned size of Spesh tires, so it may work for the OP.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
2.35 muddy Marys will or should fit. Big difference between it and the 2.5.
Dirty Dan is a beast and can be cut down if needed as well but for full blown mud its a monster.
Also dans come in free ride casing now as well, got a set for the sx trail and Sunday. (Fingers crossed we get some muck or I'm going north looking for some :D)

The mudy mary is a solid intermediate choice that handles a WIDE range of terrain and weather, its what's on both bikes at the moment and stays there 90% of the time.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I've had good luck with the Michelin 2.2 mud tire, whatever they're called. They're really only good if it's really crazy muddy, but for that, they're great.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
A 2.5 in Schwalbe is a 2.7 in Maxxis, there's no need to run that size for most situations. The 2.35 is what you want (although I don't know if that is still too big for your frame).

Also, the Muddy Mary isn't really a mud tyre, their spike is definitely the Dirty Dan. The MM is more comparable to a Minion (short knob height) and personally I'd keep them for dry or slightly wet conditions. The names are a little misleading.

I'd take the DD over a wetscream any day personally, mostly because the DD works decently even in the dry/hardpack patches where the wetscream tends to lack sideknob support.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I really like my geax datura's. I have the 2.2's and cant wait to put them back on my bike when it gets wet. They are more blocky than a wet scream, more compareable to a dirty day. But they roll way better than my old dirty dans did. You can find them for dirt cheap too. I think I paid 30 for the set on cambria.

phycoref

Chimp
Oct 6, 2010
Canada
2.35 Muddy Marys do fit the V10 (multiple friends I ride with swear by this tire, will be the next one I try, good for all conditions) with no problems and is about the same size as 2.5 Maxxis Tires.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
For what though? I am considering picking up a pair for mucky north east trail riding this winter...I'd like to hear your thoughts.

after 300 people have gone down the course 5ish times each, the muddy mayhem gets huge ditches, getting in and out of these ditches with a 2.2 is alot harder then a 2.5. the support just isn't there. decent,tire though wouldn't race on it thats for sure, good way to piss off the trail builders