Quantcast

Mud Tires for Snowshoe

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
After the first race at Snowshoe this year, I've decided that I need to get some mud tires. I'm pretty sure I want to go with the Maxxis SwampThings, but I'm not sure if I should get the 60a or the 42a. Anyone have any opinions?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The first race was not muddy as far as Snowshoe goes. Swamp Things would have been perfect.

As Spoke mentions, Wet Screams or Mud 3s are good, but you might need to trim the center knobs for best performance. These are the ultimate in wet conditions performance and aren't necessary unless its nasty nasty.

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
The first race was not muddy as far as Snowshoe goes.
Well, I'm pretty new at the whole downhill racing thing, so Sunday morning practice was a NIGHTMARE for me. I was running Minions, and they were so packed up, I could barely stay upright on my bike.

You're right, though... By the time I did my race run, it had dried up quite a bit. However, the mental damage was already done. :redface:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I did one run on Sunday morning with Minions and the switched to Swamp things. I think I was actually faster on the swampthings in the mud than with DHFs on saturday in the almost dry conditions.

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
After living and riding here at snowshoe for about 5 years now IMO the best tires for the wet around here is the intense intruder. but alot of people think the intense tires are to heavy. i've ridden the swamp things and the wet screams, but nothing tops the intruder!!

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
Thanks for the info, guys... Swampthings in 42a ordered!

BTW... what's the deal with certain tires being so hard to find in the US? I had a little trouble locating these suckers, as well as the Intense Intruders and Michelin Mud 3s. Even had an LBS say that they couldn't get the Swampthings anymore.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
pirate, I did the same thing as soon as I got home from the race - ordered a set of Swampthings 42a. I have never seen or ridden in slick mud like that, holy crap. I've only ridden back west for the most part. I was running Minions as well - which did fine for my race run but in the a.m. it was ridiculous. Anyway, next time I'll be prepared if the storms hit hard!