Quantcast

mud tires?? wich one is good?

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I recommend Continental Vertical Pro 2.3 for mud. Good tread for digging deep and finding harder ground. Good all arond traction as well.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I agree with Ranger. I just bought a Vertical Pro 2.3 and it's probably the best tire I've ever had. I went DH to Mont Ste-Anne last weekend, it was very muddy and with a lot of dead leaves on the ground. The tire performed just great!

I don't know if it is possible to find it anymore but I also have a very strange tire: Panaracer Spike Rear. It is abolutely insane!!! The lenght of the knobs is incredible... It is just great for climbing muddy section...but it sucks big time on dry terrain!

DHiTone

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
UK
Gotta go for those Michelins. I have a front one and they are mint.
Forget the Tiogas, they are too narrow at 1.85 and the sidewalls are very thin - not good as a downhill mud tyre (no Tiogas are good once you have tried Michelins).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Can't beat the Conti Survival Pro for an aggressive non-DH mud tire. It's built for control...not (pedal-powered) speed...and it's not a DH casing. But you can get the pro-tection tire which has a reinforced sidewall and is only a few grams more. It's pretty narrow for a 2.3, and rolls slowly due to the large tread knobs, but hooks up very very nicely and sheds like a cat.

All in all, perhaps not the best all-rounder, but works better in loose (mud or sand) than anything else I've tried. My 2 cents...good luck.

MD