Quantcast

Mud Tires

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
Ok guys being a so cal guy I don't see much mud worthy of special tires so I really have no idea which tires are good in the mud. I'm going to be racing the Fluid ride cup up in WA and I'm told to plan on rain and I would like some mud tires! only I need your help in choosing! Your opinions help! Thanks in advance!

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
wet screams if you can find them.

i rode those all winter here in oregon, and those tires WILL NOT LET GO of mud...they are glued to the ground.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I vote wet screams, Kyle rode the Kenda KOT tire for a bit though and seemed pretty stoked on em. I know there are some Kenda haters on here but I don't think you need a super tacky rubber for the mud, especially when you have big spikes that you are trying to get to dig in. That being said, the only ones that I have any experience with are the Swampthing and Wetscream, the Wetscream grips like velcro in the mud, no joke.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
go wetscream, nearly all year long all we ride in is mud here in Ireland, so wetscreams are the tire of choice.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Wetscreams are a good option, and you can cut them down if needed. Tire choice, even if muddy, would depend on the terrain and how fast you are. Swampthings are a good option if the course has rocks and you're not blasting through them; they are good in mud and more stable on rocks than other dedicated mud tires. I take a set to most races.

hbracca

Chimp
Jun 4, 2008
Eugene, OR
Ive been running a 2.5 Wet Scream 42a USTs with the middle knobs ramped. Did so at the last PA race (didn't need them though the track dried up and was super tacky but I didn't bring my minions). I can't say enough good things about the tire even if it starts to dry out. It will take a couple turns to get used to em though, you really have to commit and stuff your your front end into corners, but if your ridding aggressive they hook up like a mofo!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I've ridden Wet Screams in the snow/mud at PA and they were great.
I have to say I've been very impressed with the Black Turtles from Tioga. They roll FAR better than the Wet screams and traction seems to be pretty similar. I ran my Wet Screams this weekend on a course with dry hardpack with loose on top and then some wet slop as well and they worked well.

I am going to be taking a set of Wet Screams and Black Turtles in addition to my regular tires to the FR #2.

If your more than 180lbs or so forget the Wet Screams. Maxxis says you're too heavy for them. I don't remember the exact weight limit. If you're a heavier guy call Maxxis before shelling out the cash for tires.

-Kevin

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I have seen Steve Peat on Wet Screams and I would be surprized if he is under 180 pounds and I know he puts more force into a tire than most anyone posting here.

Anyway, Swampthing for mild mud and mud with lots of rocks. Wetscream for just mud.

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
thanks guys! Although it looks like i'm gonna need both wetscreams and swampthings? lol I've been trying to get away from maxxis seeing as they're sponsorsh*t program has failed all together lol. but good tires are good tires and I can;t say I have any other tire sponsors so Sharpie away! lol

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Try muddy marys and blackshark muds or the new mud tire (dirty dans) from schwalbe.
I just moved back down from the NW and Im more than impressed in them, Ive rocked the MMs here in Socal as well and they are on both my bikes. They are aggressive and will accomodate the NW if it rains jump on Dirty dans. Ive ridden the clay mud there as well as the loam and muck and have nothing bad to say about them. Alot of tires will get the job done as well, good luck on the choice and pics from the race! :thumb:

Site for info: http://www.downhilltires.com/index.php?id=12

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
ive been running a 1.9 michelin on the front and a 2.35 worn down wet scream on the back for when the weather gets bad.. they ride amazing

ridingsupreme

Monkey
May 12, 2008
Santa Cluas lane
One last question. why are most mud tires like a 60a compound? is hard compound really better for mud? like I said I'm a stupid so cal boy so I always thought soft tires were better..:imstupid:

rowlands

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
One last question. why are most mud tires like a 60a compound? is hard compound really better for mud? like I said I'm a stupid so cal boy so I always thought soft tires were better..:imstupid:
keeps knobs from folding over and ripping off... and the harder compound digs in a little better

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
In something like open grass or deep sloppy mud, the harder compounds will dig in better.

You do not want that (hard tire) up here (IMO a full on mud tire will be overkill either way). We have lots of roots and rocks that will be VERY slippery if you are in conditions that call for a mud tire. Stick with a soft sticky compound.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Try muddy marys and blackshark muds or the new mud tire (dirty dans) from schwalbe.
I just moved back down from the NW and Im more than impressed in them, Ive rocked the MMs here in Socal as well and they are on both my bikes. They are aggressive and will accomodate the NW if it rains jump on Dirty dans. Ive ridden the clay mud there as well as the loam and muck and have nothing bad to say about them. Alot of tires will get the job done as well, good luck on the choice and pics from the race! :thumb:

Site for info: http://www.downhilltires.com/index.php?id=12

I'm not sure If I asked about it but how low you can go with schwable tires in terms of pressure? They are lighter but there must be some cost. Could a 70kg rider ride them at 15psi with no floating?

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
I hit up the first FR Cup and i wouldn't go for an uncut wetscream there. I would say a Minion or something, and if its gets really muddy then a swampthing. Lots of rocks and roots to deflect a wetscream.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I don't believe it will get muddy,maybe a little greasy in places.I also don't think there are alot of roots or rocks,maybe some sections with some.The Maxxis Minion allways seems to be popular tire in the PNW but at the last FRcup race on Sat. when things were still a little wet Minions were packing up on the shoulders,my SwampThings were staying very clean however.I may be puting on some Mich. Comp16's this time.Another option I think would do fine would be Nevegals.Also,on a side note I will be doing a garage clean out sell,may even have some tires if there is something some is looking for PM me.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
should be fairly dry this weekend, and it has been dry for a bit. wet spots, but overall dry.

minions would be my choice.