Quantcast

Mud Tyres ?!

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
i need good mud tyres but i can not decide which one..

min. on my rim is 2,1 tyres but i have dh tubes 26x2,5,--2,7 so if i buy 2,1 tyre will it fit or what ??

i was looking for mud tyre something about 2,35 or more....

i never ride or buy any mud tyres so i need your help to chose something...
about two weeks from now is dh race so i must be prepared if rain come down, now on bike i have minion 2,7 front and rear...

here is what i was in mind to buy:

1. "IRC MudMad DH"
*size 2,25
picture:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/797.jpg

2, "Maxxis Wet Scream DH"
*size 2,5
picture:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/4619.jpg

3. "Michelin Mud 3 DH"
*size 2,2
picture:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/352.jpg

4. "Tioga Black Turtle DH Mud"
*size 2,2
picture:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/7434.jpg

thx

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
i have mud3's on my turner, they're good in PURE THICK mud but well shadey round anything else

once the ground gets marginally hard they wipe out
but i got them cheap [£15 a pair new] so you cant winge too much

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Agree, Swamp Things are the way to go unless you are riding on muddy grass. Then use Wet Screams.

Swamp Things work well in mud and rocks. Most mud tires suck in rocks.

Scurry

Monkey
May 9, 2003
Boston
Check out arrow racing's tires, but I have swampthings that I have not used yet for the lack of muck, I wish I had got the arrows though.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
about maxxis swamp thing...

which compound will be ok:

-Super Tacky- compound (42a) to address the wet, muddy courses.
-Slow Reezay- compound (40a) which allowes the tire to rebound much slower than a conventional tire, offering maximum grip and is the softest compound available.

26 x 2.5 Dual Ply Slow Reezay 40a ???
26 x 2.5 Dual Ply Super Tacky 42a ???

whichone you suggest to me...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
ChrisKring said:
Agree, Swamp Things are the way to go unless you are riding on muddy grass. Then use Wet Screams.

Swamp Things work well in mud and rocks. Most mud tires suck in rocks.
also make sure you go for the soft compounds with the swamp things other wise it will suck on rocks too.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Downhiller said:
about maxxis swamp thing...

which compound will be ok:

-Super Tacky- compound (42a) to address the wet, muddy courses.
-Slow Reezay- compound (40a) which allowes the tire to rebound much slower than a conventional tire, offering maximum grip and is the softest compound available.

26 x 2.5 Dual Ply Slow Reezay 40a ???
26 x 2.5 Dual Ply Super Tacky 42a ???

whichone you suggest to me...

Slow Reezay all the way, will last longer and have good grip.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Dida said:
Really? Never had expirience with this compounds. How come that the 40 durometer lasts longer than the 42?
The 40D is an overmold on 60 D. They make the tire with 60D and then mold 40D on top of the 60D. It prevents the knobs from chunking off.

I have only used the 40D compound with a swamp thing. Lars Tribus told me that he prefers the 42D for mud since they have more traction. If you want a tire for a race weekend, go with 42D. If you want them to last for a lot of riding, go with the 40D.

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
i was planing to use mud tyres just when i go to dh race and they will be just for races not for common riding....

so i will use it just for races ...which one 40 or 42 ???

ps. what do you think about price for swamp thing its 30 euros about 35 $ is that for one or two tyres ( i am not shure)??

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
ChrisKring said:
The 40D is an overmold on 60 D. They make the tire with 60D and then mold 40D on top of the 60D. It prevents the knobs from chunking off.

I have only used the 40D compound with a swamp thing. Lars Tribus told me that he prefers the 42D for mud since they have more traction. If you want a tire for a race weekend, go with 42D. If you want them to last for a lot of riding, go with the 40D.

I like the 42 better in general, but since I'm not getting for free I use 40a. SRY 40a is good for racing unless you want to replace tires for every race.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Downhiller said:
i was planing to use mud tyres just when i go to dh race and they will be just for races not for common riding....

so i will use it just for races ...which one 40 or 42 ???

ps. what do you think about price for swamp thing its 30 euros about 35 $ is that for one or two tyres ( i am not shure)??

The 40a, that's probably one. $35 is a good price for one here in the states.

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Best tires on wet grass ever made, Panracers Spikes at 60 psi

avoid roots and rocks at all costs, and never ever ride on the road with them, you WILL crash and at a silly low speed as well

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Another vote for Swampthings. They are a good all around mud/soft conditions tire. They have decent air volume, width and a solid treat pattern so they are much better on rocks and roots than others. They don't offer as much grip on rocks as a standard tire, but their grip in soft stuff is far superior.