Quantcast

Mudders?

graserg

Chimp
Jun 28, 2010
VT
Help me pick out some mud tires for racing in the Northeast? Size? Compound? brand? When it's dry I run a 2.5 Minion/Chunder/high roller.

Thanks for the help.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
In my opinion, I've got to hand this one to Specialized. Their tire selection and compounds for this year rock! Got a bunch of new rubber to test into the shop and this stuff is amazing. I've been running nothing but the Big S for three years now, their tires have really come into their own.

When its really bad, these:

Specialized Storm

When its only peanut butter, these:

Specialized Hillbilly

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
FWIW, at the WC in Bromont, in the rain, it seemed most guys were running High Rollers and DHFs... I'm guessing it's caus' it spikes are for deep, loamy mud, whereas over here there's still lots of roots and rocks (tm) that will throw a spike off its line... but I don't race so take it fwiw....

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I have no idea what kind of terrain you're riding but if you're looking for a spike and want to save some money check out the tioga black turtle, they're only $15/tire and they worked nicely for me. Since I barely use spikes it's hard for to warrant spending $30/tires.

My michelin rock'rs seem to do well as long as it isn't too soupy and perform better than a full on spike on rocks and roots.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I have no idea what kind of terrain you're riding but if you're looking for a spike and want to save some money check out the tioga black turtle, they're only $15/tire and they worked nicely for me. Since I barely use spikes it's hard for to warrant spending $30/tires.

My michelin rock'rs seem to do well as long as it isn't too soupy and perform better than a full on spike on rocks and roots.
I agree here. I really like black turtles. I haven't touched my WetScreams in about 2 years. The BlackTurtle is my go-to tire in the wet. They work well on roots(lots of them in the PNW) and roll well on the hard pack.

This year I'll be trying Storms/HillBilly's for the sake of trying them. But I do really like BlackTurtles.

Mar 14, 2008
x2 on the specialized tires

running cut storms, and they feel awesome in the slop... not so good on full wet rocks tho, and they roll S L O W But hey, its a pretty specific tire, so no surprises there

also using hillbillys, which are awesome for mixed conditions

still have the trusty dhfs for all those other days, but I think I'll be using the spesh tires more and more, especially the hillbillys

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
I plan on using hillbillies this season for most everything but dusty dry days. that being said i have no experience with them. I have used swamp things and cut Michelin mud 3's and like them both

ender

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Wet screams but, only for really muddy conditions because they are slow. They last pretty long too.

Attachments

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Anybody that runs the black turtles must not be pushing them very hard. They are labeled at as am tire. I had a set and as long as I ran them at a million psi with dh tubes I could get a run or two without flatting. They are on my brothers bike now and he doesnt have any problems with them, but doesnt really push his tires too much

Im on Geax Datura's now and I love them. They roll so fast for being a mud tire, and have grip for days in everything but dry dg. Ive really been putting of putting my minnions back on cause I like these tires so much.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I loved swamp things until I tried Schwalbe Muddy mary, needs to be pretty serious steep and sloppy to want a spike. That being said my 2011's are on "2 weeks" for the last month or so. Ordered some Geax Synopsis(?) to try in the mean time.