Quantcast

Muddy Marys for Plattekill?

nybike1971

Chimp
Nov 16, 2006
Niskayuna, NY
I haven't had good luck with Schwalbe tires on my trail bikes but have never used them on the DH bike. I have had some bad crashes on wet rocks upstate NY with both Big Betty and Muddy Mary tires (again, not the DH version).

My favorite compound for Plattekill is Maxxis 3C (especially in greasy conditions). Yesterday I rode the new High Roller 2 3C as a rear tire and it worked great (Maxxis Minion DHF 3C up front).

By the way, Plattekill was mint yesterday! A little wet and greasy in spots but excellent traction and no mud. Upstate NY has been far less wet than NJ and Westchester county this month. Until 3 days ago the trails in the Capital District were dusty.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Luca, how are you liking the HRII? I'm tempted, though I've got a fresh pair of Minion DHF Super Tackys on the Draco so I don't really need tires just yet.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Rode Plattekill Saturday.
Spent Thur/Fri at Diablo, where one of the guys I was with broke his collarbone, then Plattekill Saturday. Planned on staying for Sunday, but Plattekill said they were closing to Sunday because of Irene...
Went to Minion DHF (3C, EXO front and DH rear) for this trip after bad experiences on Schwalbe MM the past few weekends.
Absolutely loved the Minion. Sounds funny, but provided excellent controllable 'surfing' on the shale of Plattekill. And great grip in the soft stuff, and muddy as well. And although lots of plowing through the razorblade rocks - zero flats or sidewall damage.
At Diablo - was great.
If anyone asked for a recommendation from me for a great tire combo for east coast riding like Plattekill, Bromont, Diablo, Whiteface - I would 100% say Minion DHF 3C EXO front and Minion DHF 3C DH rear.