Quantcast

>>>Mumblederp GMT<<<

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Morning.

Not much happened this weekend besides our friend's Halloween party on Saturday night. Good times with old friends.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin peeps!

Got the lift and tires installed on Saturday then proceeded to spend most of yesterday working on the house and stuff. Twas a productive weekend.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Had a wicked weekend up here in the North. Stellar Halloween party on Saturday night. So many bewbs....

Almost had to make an emergency pit-stop on the way to work this morning. The coffee sure punched back hard today.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Healing vibes to your wife.
Hopefully her injury won't cut into your riding time too badly.

Brutal final football game for my 8yo yesterday.
31*, blowing 40mph and sideways rain/snow.

Picking up my new tax write-off/truck this afternoon.
Thanks Obama!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

I spent the weekend spraying the inside of the ladies mom's garage. 15 years of smoking in there left a coffee brown film on everything. So I got a 5 gallon bucket of Kilz 2 and an industrial sprayer and went to town. 2 heavy coats on everything and you can only see a few spots on the ceiling where it bled through. Smells a hell of a lot better in there, that's for damn sure. I still have paint on me.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I had a wheel set and my truing stand in the back of my car when I got pulled over first thing this morning. As the cop gave me my papers back he asked if I worked on bikes. I said yes. He asked me if I could work on his wheels and gave me his card. No ticket either. I was flying as I went through the yellow right in front of him. Bikes are cool.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Picking up my new tax write-off/truck this afternoon.
Thanks Obama!
Stuck with GM despite previous truck's woes?

I'm tired from this weekend. Concert Saturday, early morning with Mariko on Sunday as she didn't get the fall back memo, and the long walk around the (huge) neighborhood pushing the Bob.

Today I'm academic so should do some writing. So far I've spent the morning reading other peoples' papers who executed a concept I had much better than I could--that's what I get for trying to take on the medical physicists in their own realm.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Stuck with GM despite previous truck's woes?
Nope, that turbo replacement stung.
Got a 2015 Super Duty with 6.2 gas.

After totaling up the maint/repair/fuel costs on the diesel I wasn't going to pony up another $8k for the headache.
Our work trailer is only 8k# so the 6.2 will be plenty (especially after torque management and drive by wire nanny systems tuned out) and the extra payload capacity of the Ford is better suited to carrying our pump staging etc.
MPG shouldn't be a massive difference (duramax got 14.1 combined over 150k miles, very little of that hwy) and fuel is $.60/gal cheaper.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

After totaling up the maint/repair/fuel costs on the diesel I wasn't going to pony up another $8k for the headache.
Our work trailer is only 8k# so the 6.2 will be plenty (especially after torque management and drive by wire nanny systems tuned out) and the extra payload capacity is better suited to carrying our pump staging etc.
MPG shouldn't be a massive difference (duramax got 14.1 combined over 150k miles, very little of that hwy) and fuel is $.60/gal cheaper.
I had a friend this weekend trying to convince me that getting the F150 without the Ecoboost was a mistake.

Yeah... Ford... turbo. I don't think so.

:D

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I had a friend this weekend trying to convince me that not getting the F150 without the Ecoboost was a mistake.

Yeah... Ford... turbo. I don't think so.

:D
You were on my mind in the showroom.
Gas is cheap, turbos are not.
Given how complicated engines are these days I decided to revert to my 'KISS/No replacement for displacement' mentality.

I figure Toshi's carbon credits will offset the bitch slap to mother earth, or at least cover her cab ride home.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
You were on my mind in the showroom.
Gas is cheap, turbos are not.
Given how complicated engines are these days I decided to revert to my 'KISS/No replacement for displacement' mentality.

I figure Toshi's carbon credits will offset the bitch slap to mother earth, or at least cover her cab ride home.
Maybe he can assuage all of our Catholic guilts. :D

I told my buddy if he was willing to cover the turbo replacement at 100K miles that I'd go back and get the Ecoboost model. He wouldn't put his money where his mouth was...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Work. The cabinets were finished being installed Friday (Thanks Nick!), minus a few doors. Got everything moved back into them. It looks great. The additional space is allowing us to get rid of a small cabinet in the from room that we use to store glasses and china. It will open up the room so that we can relocate Haley's toys into that room, effectively giving her a playroom.

Family photos on Saturday. Our photographer is great, but she does a lot of things that are out of our comfort zone. I am a fan of more casual, realistic photos. She does a lot of the 'posey' shots. Wifey likes it though, so I can't say much.

Otherwise a lot of errands on Sunday. I got new running gear for the winter. It's all neon yellow and obnoxious, but if it keeps me from getting hit by a car I am a fan. I also put my new 70.3 sticker on the Subie. I know it's silly, but dammit I earned that sticker.

Told Wifey about the new frame before it just shows up. She was happy that it was cheaper than the bike I was initially looking at, but still not the happiest that I am buying forward. Needless to say, I'm not getting a winter solstice or birthday present.

I still need to decide on fitting for the new bike. The guy that did my tri bike did a good job, but I still feel that it could be better. I'm tempted to take the tri bike to one of the local tri shops and the roadie to a local primarily road shop.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Ooh, that sucks, brother-of-MMike. Vision is important <-- part of the reason why I carry a big disability policy.

I approve of your non-brand loyalty, and of the 6.2 choice. No carbon credit offsetting from me is needed--I think that the state of emissions controls is such that diesels are a worse proposition overall, and that's assuming one doesn't rip out the DPF and urea after-treatment as so many do.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Family photos on Saturday. Our photographer is great, but she does a lot of things that are out of our comfort zone. I am a fan of more casual, realistic photos. She does a lot of the 'posey' shots. Wifey likes it though, so I can't say much.
????

GISing "odd family photo" brought up too many NSFW results. What's "out of our comfort zone" in this context?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Delivery at work not an option?
Our office manager is less than pleasant. I'm sure it would show up and not be at my desk for a week, then be berrated for having personal packages sent to my office.

????

GISing "odd family photo" brought up too many NSFW results. What's "out of our comfort zone" in this context?
Just weird 'sit this way', 'look that way', 'do this unnatural [insert instruction]' stuff. I am a fan of natural pictures. When we start doing all of this weird, forced stuff Haley gets edgy and hard to deal with.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Friday night stayed dry as well, we shut down at 8:30 and hit the bar. I was a little surprised that the chips were a HUGE hit and I made the kids pick them out so I didn't have to do anything but keep the bucket full. :rofl:

We ended up with about 300 kids in about 2 hours. I now have enough Doritos for work to last a while.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Bought my wife one of those giant tablet computers for her birfday.
My laptop blowns massive goat balls. Wifey says I can get a new one, but I need to stop making big purchases on things like bikes.

I'm dealing with my laptop.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Reinstall Windows 7?

I just rebuilt our home PC (guts were 2007 vintage) - new MB/CPU combo. Hopefully I can get another 7 years out of it now...
XP. I actually have two identical thinkpads. One I can't get connected to our network, the other won't stay connected. If I could wipe one and reinstall with nothing but office, chrome, firefox, adobe reader and Pandora I would do it in a second. Unfortunately I do not have the key for Office anymore. Boo.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Brain is now very tired--wasn't productive at all in morning but wrote just shy of 3000 dense, referenced words this afternoon. Draft now off to co-authors for vetting. It's on the variance of resolution and image contrast in MR angiography with varying rates of contrast injection, which is actually an interesting subject due to the nonlinear way gadolinium contrast works with MR as opposed to iodine contrast with CT.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Brain is now very tired--wasn't productive at all in morning but wrote just shy of 3000 dense, referenced words this afternoon. Draft now off to co-authors for vetting. It's on the variance of resolution and image contrast in MR angiography with varying rates of contrast injection, which is actually an interesting subject due to the nonlinear way gadolinium contrast works with MR as opposed to iodine contrast with CT.
My brain hurts from reading that.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Yup. That but in objective terms. Coding up that in Matlab was a big project last fall, it was presented in Milan in May (sadly not by me), and now I'm turning it into a paper, which is the currency of my job.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
I noticed you didn't take your wife for a bike ride on her birthday. At least, not the traditional first Saturday in November bike ride that happened on a Sunday this year...
Hmmm... was at a party for another friend's wife's birfday Saturday night and they had me convinced that that particular event had run earlier in the day.

F***ing 'tards. :mad:

Were you on said ride? I was thinkin' you was out o' town?