Quantcast

Musician Monkeys

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
We should start a Ridemonkey email band.

I have access to Protools, but I suck at it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I started teaching myself the drums last year. Got good a few beats and play them over and over again. because I hate anything that requires practice.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think it comes down to a personality thing. I don't consider it "practice" when I'm jamming, it's just fun. Usually I look at the clock eventually and say "damn, I just played for 4 hours?"

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I'm in for that! I have Cubase, although I have heard Protools is better.
I also have Ardour (Linux) at home which I think can import/export to Cubase and Protools.

I have to dig into the manual.

Can we start with a cover of Final Countdown?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I think it comes down to a personality thing. I don't consider it "practice" when I'm jamming, it's just fun. Usually I look at the clock eventually and say "damn, I just played for 4 hours?"
Yeah, I don't consider that practice either. But paradiddles are ****ing practice and they ****ing suck.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Are you calling H8R a no-talent assclown?
Do you want to see my assclown? I did a great makeup job. I painted the clown collar bright red and it has a cheeky smile.

Do you want me to send you pictures?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
No, I am saying that the reason I only know a few beats is because I hate practicing. As for a statement to H8r's talents, I've seen him on YouTube so he has to be cool.
Uh... Youtube does NOT always = cool.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah, I don't consider that practice either. But paradiddles are ****ing practice and they ****ing suck.
True that. For a while in high school I was too cool for piano, so I took drum lessons. Going in I had this vision of me in front of a huge drumkit with 200 cymbals, up on a stage with a metal band with thousands of fans cheering wildly. Next thing I knew I was in my room with a little plastic pad going "paradiddle flamadiddle paradiddle" :(

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
True that. For a while in high school I was too cool for piano, so I took drum lessons. Going in I had this vision of me in front of a huge drumkit with 200 cymbals, up on a stage with a metal band with thousands of fans cheering wildly. Next thing I knew I was in my room with a little plastic pad going "paradiddle flamadiddle paradiddle" :(
I haven't done regular rudiments on a pad since 9th grade.

BUT - it is actually a good foundation to start, provided someone actually teaches you correct grip, posture, form, tempo, etc.

From there you can fvck it all up.

I've been experimenting w/ traditional grip, it's fun. Very different feel to the back beat, more relaxed. Very painful to even attempt the volume I normally achieve. :D