• No

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • Some

Votes: 24 27.9%

• Total voters

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
I could get a fox v3 helmet for cheap, now I'm wondering if the 200g this helmet is heavier than for example the azonic fury I was looking at, too actually matter?
Is anybody here riding with a mx helmet or has tried it?
Thanks

Max Lutz

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
If you have the facility to get one, it is worth the extra safety. However the ridiculous weight difference between a D2 Carbon and a cheapo MX helmet is not worth it I don't think. Having all that weight up high will probably cause a more severe crash. If you can get one of the really light TLD MX helmets, it would be a worthy investment.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
These helmet threads always go the same way, so I will save you some time.
First you are going to have a group of people feeding you a huge pile of bull$hit about how a moto helmet will not protect you in slow speed crashes. Which is hilarious because guys on motos have slow speed crashes all the time especailly in woods riding, hare scrambles, enduro, hill climbing etc....
A moto helmet is going to protect you better in all crashes.

Now, onto the second steaming pile of Bison patties that you will hear about moto helmets and DH:
A moto helmet helmet is bigger and heavier and you will get really fatigued during your 4 minute Dh run.:help:
Yeah, sure thing, all the while all the moto guys are doing 30 + minutes main events in the Daytona heat.
If your rubberneck can't hold a moto helmet up for a handful of runs,
then bingo may be a better way to pass your time.
Again, moto helmets are going to protect you better, but you are better off spending the extra money and getting a light one.
All that said, I am some what of a hypocrite, because I wear a D2.
It simply fits me perfect, and I have not hit it hard enough yet to replace it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Chase01 said:
of this topic/poll....

'04 TLD D2 Carbon for Sale (L) - $200 - looks brand new....has never taken a hit or anything....I only crash when I'm not wearing a helmet :drool:

j/k
You only have 13 posts, so you probaly do not know the rules yet.
But you can post this kind of stuff in the buy and sell section here on RM for free. It works well, and does not have stench of Spam.
Good luck selling your helmet.

Chase01

Chimp
Feb 20, 2006
Virginia
I'm so new to all this:rolleyes: I again appologize for the stench of spam....just trying to hit the right audience....I'm just learning to ride too.... Can I get purple brake levers for my new DH rig? Also, I have a sratch on my swingarm....can I repowder coat it myself in my garage?

- just f'in w/you...:nuts: haha - don't kill me.

Mar 1, 2005
Get an oneal titan not to heaveyand tons of protectin there around 200 worth the investment. Its saved my head that a regular helmet would have not taken.

Tarpon

Monkey
Jun 23, 2004
North Bend, WA
One thing that tends to get left out in these discussions is FIT. To get the most protection out of any helmet it has to be a good fit. Don't get hung up about a particular brand/model. Try a bunch of them on to see what fits your head, make any downselect from there.

FYI, I started using a V3 at Whistler last year. It's pretty light and fits me well, the TLD didn't fit my head.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
What is everyone's reasoning for wanting an MX helmet in the first place? Protection? Personally, I haven't seen many, if any, crashes that a MTB helmet couldn't handle just fine.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
bomberboy11 said:
However the ridiculous weight difference between a D2 Carbon and a cheapo MX helmet is not worth it I don't think. Having all that weight up high will probably cause a more severe crash.
Just wear heavier shoes to offset it. ;) :D

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
ekozy39 said:
What is everyone's reasoning for wanting an MX helmet in the first place? Protection? Personally, I haven't seen many, if any, crashes that a MTB helmet couldn't handle just fine.
-cheaper
-more protection
-can be used for motorsports as well as MTB

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ekozy39 said:
Then I'm guessing your new to this sport?? Wasn't Waddell wearing an MX lid in Mont Sainte Anne? I'm guessing a mtb helmet would have literally been in pieces.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Waddell would be dead if it weren't for the MX helmet. He hit the ground so hard it blew out his goggles. His doctors supposedly said the extra protection was the only reason he made it to the hospital. I think MBA had some article on it a while back - one of the few stories worth publishing I've seen in that wad of asspaper.

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
i don't know how well i'd be typing this right now if i had not had a mx helmet. i crashed at diablo over the summer (with my thor svr4, nice helmet btw) and i suffered an intermediate to severe concussion. not very fun. i just so happened to land on the top of my head, taking a chunk out of the helmet. a mtb helmet probably would've exploded, or something along those lines. my mx helmet really isn't that heavy, and honestly, i do not feel the extra weight at all. it isn't very bulky either, and it's super comfortable. it was well worth the 380 or so bucks i spent on it too.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
DH Diva said:
Then I'm guessing your new to this sport?? Wasn't Waddell wearing an MX lid in Mont Sainte Anne? I'm guessing a mtb helmet would have literally been in pieces.
uh, no not at all. Started racing when full faces first became the standard. That's not the point.
I just haven't seen many MTB lids in pieces that would warrant people being so worried about the strength of MTB helmets. MSA is an extreme DH course. Would you find MSA type terrain at your local DH?
I guess to each his own, but I was just wondering.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DH Diva said:
I was literally 10 feet from him when Johnny went down. His moto helmet was destroyed. He was hitting a jump that freestyle MXers had been using all day to perform tricks on. It was MASSIVE. Think 25' high.

It was also badly built, and in a bad location and was hit going full out from a long downhill straight away section. That was a very a-typical crash.

Edit: hopefully stik will post here. He was standing next to me holding Johnny's helmet. It was horrendous.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Transcend said:
I was literally 10 feet from him when Johnny went down. His moto helmet was destroyed. He was hitting a jump that freestyle MXers had been using all day to perform tricks on. It was MASSIVE. Think 25' high.

It was also badly built, and in a bad location and was hit going full out from a long downhill straight away section. That was a very a-typical crash.
Exactly. Waddell took his MTB to MX type speeds and heights, something that was/is not typical of MTB racing.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ekozy39 said:
uh, no not at all. Started racing when full faces first became the standard. That's not the point.
I just haven't seen many MTB lids in pieces that would warrant people being so worried about the strength of MTB helmets. MSA is an extreme DH course. Would you find MSA type terrain at your local DH?
I guess to each his own, but I was just wondering.
Actually yes. I also have ridden a few nationals courses that I feel have terrain condusive to wearing an MX lid (Schweitzer for example), because of the potential to attain really high speeds and then throw in huge drops, massive rock gardens, and chutes. Goggles shattering on impact was mentioned earlier, well that happend to me at the bottom of the alter boy on the schweitzer course. Luckily I was wear what I feel like was, IN THAT SITUATION, a better helmet.

MSA is an extreme example, but more and more courses have and are going that direction. But, MSA does suggest there is potentially a time and place to consider and more heavy duty helmet.

I'm not promoting the idea that everyone go out and buy an MX lid because they are automatically better than any MTB lid. I can't prove that, and so far I don't know that anyone has actually tested and proven the whole slow speed/high speed crash theory. But there are situations that I feel call for more noggin protection.

I personally was used to wearing an MX lid because I ride dirt bikes too. I couldn't notice the weight and I didn't like going between two extremely different helmets for DH racing and Moto so I started wearing the same style for both.

I have also broken the face plate on 3 MTB full face helmets in my racing days. I have seen multiple MTB helmet failures that makes me more confident in my MX lid. But, that's because it's right for me.

Like someone said earlier, ride in what you feel comfortable in and use your head (not literally of course). Get a helmet that fits your head and fits the type of riding you do, and fits your budget.

I'll play along and chime in with my $.02...

After 4 concussions and blowing up two MadMaxII helmets, I've decided to go the MX route. It's more comfortable and solid feeling as well as giving me more confidence. Bottom line is if I have more confidence in my gear, I'm more focused on riding the bike and less inclined to be preoccupied with "what's gonna happen this time?"

I finally reached this point where it's like, "let's see, I'll spend over $800 for a fork, almost the same for a good wheelset, etc. etc. but a helmet that costs over a $100 I have a problem with? Time to get a clue Rich..." So I went out and bought a TLD SE moto helmet and couldn't be happier - of course, YMMV.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
DH Diva said:
I have also broken the face plate on 3 MTB full face helmets in my racing days. I have seen multiple MTB helmet failures that makes me more confident in my MX lid. But, that's because it's right for me.
Well, that's your problem, you gotta stop using your head/face to break your fall.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
ekozy39 said:
Well, that's your problem, you gotta stop using your head/face to break your fall.
Actually, in one of those crashes, I slid out in a high speed turn and smacked the side of my head on the way down. Cracked right side face plate. In another one of those crashes, landed flat on my back, smacked the back of my head. Helmet spiderwebed at the back and both sides of my face plate cracked. The third, I will fully admit I ate a face of dirt. But regardless, I have yet to break a moto lid, and have been concussion free since switching.

But again, you have to choose what is right for you as a rider after considering what you ride, how you ride, what fits best and what you can afford.

Helmet talk always gets so firey! :)

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
DH Diva said:
Actually, in one of those crashes, I slid out in a high speed turn and smacked the side of my head on the way down. Cracked right side face plate. In another one of those crashes, landed flat on my back, smacked the back of my head. Helmet spiderwebed at the back and both sides of my face plate cracked. The third, I will fully admit I ate a face of dirt. But regardless, I have yet to break a moto lid, and have been concussion free since switching.

But again, you have to choose what is right for you as a rider after considering what you ride, how you ride, what fits best and what you can afford.

Helmet talk always gets so firey! :)
It defiinitely sounds like it works for you!

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
If you really want to know the safety difference between an MX helmet and a moto helmet, look at the testing requirements of the two. All of my motorcycle helmets are snell(http://www.smf.org/stds.html) approved while my MTB full face has some CPSC safety (http://www.cpsc.gov/) standards sticker. I had never even heard of CPSC until I bought that helmet and can't say I trust it much.
I've gone down pretty hard on a motorcycle and gotten up without even being disoriented, can't say the same about my MTB helmet. Took about a 15mph crash while dirt jumping and left me all kinds of dizzy. :ouch:
If you're doing any serious downhill, go for the moto helmet. It's only your brain, is it worth the extra change?:think:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
noname said:
If you really want to know the safety difference between an MX helmet and a moto helmet, look at the testing requirements of the two. All of my motorcycle helmets are snell(http://www.smf.org/stds.html) approved while my MTB full face has some CPSC safety (http://www.cpsc.gov/) standards sticker. I had never even heard of CPSC until I bought that helmet and can't say I trust it much.
I've gone down pretty hard on a motorcycle and gotten up without even being disoriented, can't say the same about my MTB helmet. Took about a 15mph crash while dirt jumping and left me all kinds of dizzy. :ouch:
If you're doing any serious downhill, go for the moto helmet. It's only your brain, is it worth the extra change?:think:
There was an article a while back in Motorcyclist about how Snell standards are BS and for most riding DOT is actually safer. I've gotta find and scan that article some time to add fuel to the fire that is discussions on helmets.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
thanks guys, that's what I hoped/thought, I'm pretty sure I'll get a mx helmet even if I should miss out on the one I was looking at:)

noname

Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
outer limits
Bicyclist said:
There was an article a while back in Motorcyclist about how Snell standards are BS and for most riding DOT is actually safer. I've gotta find and scan that article some time to add fuel to the fire that is discussions on helmets.
the only ones I have here have Snell/dot stickers on them. None with just one or the other. The rub is in the different snell rating levels. I found that out the hardway when a local(relatively speaking) racetrack that requires snell/dot certified helms said my helmet wasn't of the proper rating. Nice of them to tell me that AFTER the four hour drive.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
hm I really want a sixsixone flight but they're soo expensive:mumble:
are the vega helmets any good?
Do you have any other suggestions than TLD?

thanks

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Helmets recomendations online are a place to start at best, a big waste of time typically, and down right stupid at other times. :) :mumble: :)

I recently purchaced a MX helmet and went in the shop just knowing I was going to leave with a TLD helmet. Two hours later I ended up leaving with a less expensive but much better fitting helmet (the brand escapes me but really it doesn't matter, it's blue and it looks bitchin' with my silver Spy goggles) so my point is go to the moto shop with your goggles, and an open mind and try on lots of helmets. Try them all expensive ones, cheap ones, ugly ones and buy the one that fits your noggin the best. And make sure it matches your goggles too.:oink:

The TLD's are dead sexy though...

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
surfinguru said:
I finally reached this point where it's like, "let's see, I'll spend over $800 for a fork, almost the same for a good wheelset, etc. etc. but a helmet that costs over a $100 I have a problem with? Time to get a clue Rich..." So I went out and bought a TLD SE moto helmet and couldn't be happier - of course, YMMV.
Seriously. I don't get how people are such penny-pinchers when it comes to helmets. You'll drop thousands for your bike, but somehow your brain is less of a priority. I've finally smartened up and realized that $300 for the best helmet I can find is a downright bargain compared to the potential costs of head injuries.

Original poster, go to a MX shop and try on helmets because people have different shaped heads. I like my 661 Flight a lot though, it's very comfy and high quality.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I wear a Vigor Vamoose 2 on my bike, and a Fly Lite mx helmet on my moto. I guess if I felt the speed of my DH bike got close to the speed of my mx, I might retire the Vigor. I like the weight of the Vigor when I have to pedal and I think it would hold up just fine in a crash.

But the Vigor was $110 and the Fly was $90. I can't justify a $400 lid, but I'm a cheap bastard.