Quantcast

My '08 Sunday race build

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Ok, so I've been riding for years, but I'm looking to get more into the race scene next year when I move to Washington. I have compiled a specs list for a new Sunday which would be my race bike for next season. I know there are a bunch of racers on this forum, so I thought I'd gather your input. I think I got fairly accurate weights... Thanks!

Frame: Sunday WC Frame
4762 grams
R. Shock: Marz Roco WC w/ ti spring
946 grams
Fork: Rock Shox Boxxer WC
2676 grams
R. Hub: Hope Pro 2 12x150mm
300 grams
F. Hub: Hope Pro 2 20x110mm
185 grams
R. Rim: Mavic 823 UST
657 grams
F. Rim: Mavic 823 UST
657 grams
Spokes: DT Swiss Aerolite (64)
280 grams
Tires: Maxxis DHF 2.5 UST
2540 grams
Cranks: Gravity Light MegaExo 175
794 grams
Chainguide: E.13 LG-1
196 grams
R. Der: Sram X0
195 grams
R. Shifter: Sram X0
115 grams
Cassette: Shimano Dura-Ace 11-21t
150 grams
Chain: SRAM PC 991
281 grams
Stem: Sunline Direct Mount 50mm
150 grams
Bars: Sunline V-One 31.8 1.5" rise
272 grams
Headset: FSA Orbit Xtreme Pro reduced
210 grams
Brakes: Avid Juicy Ultimate levers with Code calipers
1000 grams
Pedals: Wellgo MG-1
378 grams
Grips: Sunline Lock ons
93 grams
Seatpost: Thomson Masterpiece
200 grams
Seat: WTB Silverado SLT
210 grams

Total: 17,252 grams
38 lbs

Now I just need to come with the $$$$...

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
Part- spec wise, it looks pretty good except for 175mm cranks. I'd also go X.9. if you're paying retail for this bike...

Your Sunday frame weight is wrong. They don't make a Thomson MP in 30.0. A lot of your weights are claimed weights, or are missing small bits/bolts expect your final build to be heavier.

deadatbirth

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
In a van down by the river
wow! i love sundays! ive never seen one before here on the east coast! you have to take pictures of it.
and i think if you take a crap before your races, you might save 550grams, along with taking a piss, lets say thats another 100grams.
i just saved you another 650 grams at least!
youre welcome

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, your frame weight is wrong, which year is it? it should be about 11lbs. its 11.25 with a 5th element and steel spring. or was it 12.25? cant remember now.

and you need to add 70 grams for eyelets for each rim. you also forgot nipples.

otherwise, i cant wait to see the pictures.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The actual weight of an 823 isn't even close to what they list on the website - with the threaded eyelets they are around 730 to 740g each.

Also - an LG-1 is really more like 300g with a production Taco.

That's a dope build though - you gotta post pics when she's done.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
wow! i love sundays! ive never seen one before here on the east coast! you have to take pictures of it.
and i think if you take a crap before your races, you might save 550grams, along with taking a piss, lets say thats another 100grams.
i just saved you another 650 grams at least!
youre welcome
I sense the slightest bit of sarcasm...

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
Wow. Nice. Maybe a wider bar?
I'm so stoked on my Sunlines! A hair under 29.5" is the perfect length for me. 1 question to the op, what class will you be racing? If you're just getting into racing why such an expensive build?

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
I'm so stoked on my Sunlines! A hair under 29.5" is the perfect length for me. 1 question to the op, what class will you be racing? If you're just getting into racing why such an expensive build?
I've been racing on and off for years, but never seriously. And I work at a bike shop that deals IH :brows: Not to mention I am a gear whore.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
go with formula brakes, they are lighter and better, also, change the headset, can't think of any names right now but there are a lot that are much lighter, and you could go with the ibeam seat and seatpost. Another place to loose some weight is changing the roco for a dhx, canecreek double barrel or a vivid which combined with a ti spring would bring the weight down loads. A carbon handlebar drops some weight as well, and I think (not shore) that shimano has lighter chains. With all the above, I hope and believe you could bring it down somo 300 grms maybe, also go with some notubes, or crosscountry tubes with a bit a stans

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
What kills me about alot of the guys worrying about having a 40 pound bike is that the rider weighs 200+ pounds. The weight lose should start at the rider then trickle down to the bike.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
What kills me about alot of the guys worrying about having a 40 pound bike is that the rider weighs 200+ pounds. The weight lose should start at the rider then trickle down to the bike.
I weigh 130:) If anything I need to gain some weight so I don't break myself when I crash.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I like your headset choice. It's the only deep cup aluminum one I could find. Very nicely made.

I-beam seat and post are light and cheap. I've had great luck with mine over 3 seasons.

Juicy Ultimate levers really aren't any lighter than Juicy 5s. Save some coin there.

11-21 cassette seems tight for DH. You might try using an LX cassette and drop the largest 2 cogs. You get a 7sp cassette that is dura-ace weight for $30 with better DH gearing to boot. Run a cheap chain too. They only last about 2 months anyways.

Unless you're set on UST, there are much lighter rims than the 823.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Nice build I'd def go with 165mm cranks as others have said, I ran 175mm but not by choice what I got, too long hard to get snap outta corners and a quick pedal if ya need plus try swapping out at 50mph cause ya pedal hit the ground at the wrong time ends badly.

Second the SDG Ibeam system super fly post n saddle for me, light and very adjustable, eveyrthing else looks pretty darn hawt, don't know why you'd want ot go much lower in weight, just gonna break something and lose stabilty, 38lbs is awesome.

Enjoy..

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
I pretty much have the same exact parts on my socom except for lighter cranks/ rims and my bike weights 38.2lbs with a fox 40. I am sure the socom frame is much lighter...just giving you a heads up

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Nice build I'd def go with 165mm cranks as others have said, I ran 175mm but not by choice what I got, too long hard to get snap outta corners and a quick pedal if ya need plus try swapping out at 50mph cause ya pedal hit the ground at the wrong time ends badly.

Enjoy..
"Them Duke boys were in quite a pickle swapping out at 50 mph with o'le Rosco hot on their tail"

Haha sorry couldn't resist.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
How about the WTB LaserDisc FR wheels? I'm riding a pair right now and they are light/stiff. The WTB's also come with a nice 30mm rim width. I'm a big fan of the 2080(? i believe) wheelset weight for the 20mm front and 12x150mm rear.

Durability wise, I love em. I'm not much of a rim destroyer, but my King Earls are dented to hell, and my WTB's are perfect. Same amount of ride time on both.

-Kevin