Quantcast

My 2004 Iron Horse Hollowpoint Arrived today!!!(pics)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well my wait is over - It was driving me nuts waiting for this frame, but when I got home from work tonight two boxes were waiting for me. One was a big frame box - the other a small box containing an X.9 rear derailleur. That derailleur will be going on this frame! My 2004 black Iron Horse Hollowpoint frame with Fox Float RL AVA shock.

My initial impression of this frame is that it is much stronger and well built than I had thought it would be - I'm pleasantly surprised.

It came with a little bit of minor cable rub and one teeny paint chip - not too shabby for a frame that I got for $300 shipped!!

Well here are a few pics that I snapped while the frame was spending some time on my couch this evening. Enjoy.

Profile shot

cool rear triangle bracing

Float set in 4.5" position - it also came with a remote lockout if I decide to drop the shock back into the 3.75" position

Can't wait to try out this dw-link frame - pretty strong chainstays too!

This 2004 version seems to be a pretty significant step in terms of build quality from the 2003 version - I think I'm going to like this frame.

Last shot - head tube badge - I kinda like the headtube on this bike and the zero stack headset too.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I found the frame for sale on mtbr.com and the seller was looking to raise money for a Prophet down payment. I made an offer and he accepted it - I was ready for him to counter offer but he didn't. I offered him $300 plus shipping - paid him the $300 via paypal and he said he'd tell me the shipping costs - then I got an email from him saying he was going to send via USPS and not charge me shipping - so I said Okay! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
GravityFreakTJ said:
Enjoy. When you think you will have it built?
By the end of the month if not a lot sooner - depends on when a few more parts get here.

BMXman is sending me some SRAM x.9s and a 44T truvativ chainring for my XT cranks.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
MMcG said:
Thanks!

Eventually I want to get a Fox Vanilla RLC for the front end but for the time being it'll be sporting a 2002 Psylo.
Yea! It arrived. You definitely need to stay with the stealth black look. Put some black Mavics or Rhyno Lites on it. Black King Headset. Black Fox Vanila RLC. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It came with a black Cane Creek Zerostack headset. I've got some Black Mavic 317s for it courtesy of a trade with IF_Rider. I have a Black Thomson Seatpost and a Black Thomson stem for it too. My XT cranks are silver though, but they'll contrast nicely methinks!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Yo, you might like the float AVA better with the AVA volume opened all the way up. that will give the bike the largest air-volume and a more coil-like feel. That's how I ran mine and looooved it! You need to let the air out and then manually turn the gray anodized ring counter-clockwise until it's flush against the stop.

Nice frame! :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
punkassean said:
Yo, you might like the float AVA better with the AVA volume opened all the way up. that will give the bike the largest air-volume and a more coil-like feel. That's how I ran mine and looooved it! You need to let the air out and then manually turn the gray anodized ring counter-clockwise until it's flush against the stop.

Nice frame! :thumb:
Sean - there is a certain setting that is recommended for this shock and this frame with the dw-link to allow for it to function optimally, I think having it all the way open tends to make the shock blow through it's travel too quickly. I think the seeting for the Hollowpoint is half opened or slightly less.

There is some good information over on mtbr.com about this and I plan to reference it.

Thanks again for the front derailleur, cassette and bbs - all those parts will be for this frame!
:thumb:

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
Oh My my my, where to start?

The color is a disaster
The design, well, the smithsonian called, they want it back,
And the style, no, I dont think so,

But enough about the couch

Nice buy MMcG,
Be carefull, it doesnt take long for a $300 frame to become a $1200 bike. Get some glow in the dark grafics or components for your blistering night speed.
And some slip covers, yikes

bill

(edit)
Oh God, save my eyes, i just noticed the pillows. Plaid on plaid? Seek profesional help, please.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
justbill said:
Oh My my my, where to start?

The color is a disaster
The design, well, the smithsonian called, they want it back,
And the style, no, I dont think so,

But enough about the couch

Nice buy MMcG,
Be carefull, it doesnt take long for a $300 frame to become a $1200 bike. Get some glow in the dark grafics or components for your blistering night speed.
And some slip covers, yikes

bill

(edit)
Oh God, save my eyes, i just noticed the pillows. Plaid on plaid? Seek profesional help, please.
Bill - it looks better in person really - really it does - the frame I mean, not the couch. ;)

I was able to secure many a great deal on the parts I needed for this build up via really cool Monkeys and the rest of the stuff I have left over from the Belair so it's going to be an economical build.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
MMcG said:
Sean - there is a certain setting that is recommended for this shock and this frame with the dw-link to allow for it to function optimally, I think having it all the way open tends to make the shock blow through it's travel too quickly. I think the seeting for the Hollowpoint is half opened or slightly less.

There is some good information over on mtbr.com about this and I plan to reference it.
not sure how the AVA works with the DW-Link, but on my 5-spot I tried running the sleeve way open and like you said - I was going through my travel way to quick and would bottom out easily. I now run it on the half way mark and it's been good. I could probably open it up just a hair more - but for now the half way mark works good for me.

Nice bike! enjoy :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Acadian said:
not sure how the AVA works with the DW-Link, but on my 5-spot I tried running the sleeve way open and like you said - I was going through my travel way to quick and would bottom out easily. I now run it on the half way mark and it's been good. I could probably open it up just a hair more - but for now the half way mark works good for me.

Nice bike! enjoy :thumb:
Yep for the DW-Link I think the recommended AVA setting is half way or less even and your body weight for PSI.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
MMCG I just talked with Satan and he said it's not going to fit.

I would suggest you just send it to me instead of going thru all the time and trouble of building it up.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
WOO HOO! Excellent, Mark! :thumb: I'm psyched for you.

So what bike are you going to buy next? Don't even tell me you are not thinking about it. :D
Well Babs - I really do want to get a Vanilla fork for it.

Then...........well then I'd like to replace my Nail Trail frame with a steel hardtail frame........but that'll be a while, before I can do that methinks.

jollytime

King of the Kingdom
Jul 1, 2003
Vermont
Good on you Mark! And me oh my, the guy that originally installed teh bb used Bullshot grease! That is one quality individual!

Happy bike building.

BTW - I have a Vanilla RLC and it is way cool. It is black too. Bet you are drooling! It is going to look sweet on my orange Instigator! When you get yours, maybe we can be fork buddies.

ouch!