Quantcast

- - my 29 wheeled air sprung inedible - the psycho billy cadillac

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
That's awsome... Part of my brain still can't come to terms with the way 29s look on a bike while another part thinks that bigger wheels would be faster. It hurts sometimes and this thread isn't helping. :mumble:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
that is some wild stuff. where have you ridden it and how does it feel? the 6" travel says trail bike. the HA says DH.

how do those wheels feel in the air? how about the corners? is the extra size a real indicator of extra rotational mass translating into forces that can be felt by the rider? i would imagine that the bigger the wheel gets, the harder it would be to turn it. however, i have no idea how large a margin of size increase is required to make things feel different. i don't notice a 24" vs 26" rear feeling different. however a 26" to a 29" in the front might be different enough.

nice work.

btw - happy 1,000th post to me :thumb:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
the sus is a very linear stiff 6'' in the back.

hardly any bob with the DHX pro pedal turned up.

I am going out tomorrow for some dh runs.

it has a bit of rub at full bottom out in the back.
there is at least 3/8 clearance everywhere else.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Wow. I want to try it so bad. It would be really interesting, that's for sure!

I think it's awesome that you're experimenting with this even though many people say it's a bad idea. Talk about progression to the max. :thumb:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
holy crap man, props on that one.

i wonder what the future of 29ers is in DH...

love it. it should fit nicely in my super lightweight dh bike thread.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Eeeeeew damn thats awfull,pull it appart imediatelly please. yuk yuk yuk. 29 is wrong wrong wrong. If you're not already riding a bike with 1.95 tyres then why the hell would you sacrafice handling performance for pedaling economy??? I think you r frames are amazing and would love one but thats just awful. I do ride for the thrill and fun not the work out so maybee i just don't get it or care too.. Where are the cyclocross bars then?
My 2 cents.
Points for experiementing.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
no skid marks said:
Eeeeeew damn thats awfull,pull it appart imediatelly please. yuk yuk yuk. 29 is wrong wrong wrong. If you're not already riding a bike with 1.95 tyres then why the hell would you sacrafice handling performance for pedaling economy??? I think you r frames are amazing and would love one but thats just awful. I do ride for the thrill and fun not the work out so maybee i just don't get it or care too.. Where are the cyclocross bars then?
My 2 cents.
Points for experiementing.
Larger wheels make the bike go faster. In DH that is important. Not ot mention the larger wheels can go over larger objects more easily. I think it is great.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
zedro said:
wow, i never knew 29inch'ers were self-propelled....thats uhhmaziiing....
Let me rephrase, Larger wheels build up more momentum and will roll faster than smaller wheels.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
no skid marks said:
They have a larger centrifugal force I'd say,harder and slower to turn,eif built as strong they'd be heavier and rebound issues.
You could say the same things about 26 inch wheels compared to 24 inch wheels...

Rebound issues?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
bballe336 said:
Let me rephrase, Larger wheels build up more momentum and will roll faster than smaller wheels.
think you should rephrase again:

larger wheels (may) have higher inertia which will make them harder to accelerate but conversely have more momentum.

they wont magically 'roll faster', but will want to maintain their speed and direction more than a wheel with lower inertia (because a heavier 26" wheel could behave the same with the same inertial properties). But since you could just add weight to a normal wheelset to get the same inertial properties, higher inertia (or more momentum) is not why you would run 29's. It's the larger diameter of the wheel vs. contact with the terrain that would set them apartm, or their ability to roll over larger objects (Monster Trucks anyone?).

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
zedro said:
think you should rephrase again:

larger wheels (may) have higher inertia which will make them harder to accelerate but conversely have more momentum.

they wont magically 'roll faster', but will want to maintain their speed and direction more than a wheel with lower inertia (because a heavier 26" wheel could behave the same with the same inertial properties). But since you could just add weight to a normal wheelset to get the same inertial properties, higher inertia (or more momentum) is not why you would run 29's. It's the larger diameter of the wheel vs. contact with the terrain that would set them apartm, or their ability to roll over larger objects (Monster Trucks anyone?).
That is what I am trying to say. Unfortunately I cannot always find the words to express my thoughts. Thanks for clearing it up.

Rye_Bread

Monkey
Mar 22, 2006
Boulder
29 inch wheels also roll over things more easily. I think the choice of fork is interesting. That looks like a fairly long travel frame.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Apparently a 3" 29er feels like a 5" bike. They roll over stuff easier so they require less suspension.

Plus the wheels won't "fit" into normal braking bumps, a big plus IMO.

I'd really love to try that bike and see how it rides. I would think it would corner kinda funny but be good in semi-rough stuff.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
the wheels i built up weight 300g less than my race 26 wheels.
so have less weight. due to single ply tire. and .5mm narrower rim.

after riding today on a tight dh track, to carve a quick corner you get
some front wheel flex and fork, but the wheel is most notable.
this is not a problem on the rear b/d i use a SS widely spaced flange
hub. I think i need a 135 width hub for 29 on the front. i am getting
a inverted fork with wide spacing to have room for my special front
hub.
i use the fork i have now b/c i thought it would do. 110 front hub will
not do so the fork has to go. it worked great though. White makes
great air forks. i think i am getting there inverted one next.

the 29 has more leverage on your bars. i was running 22 bars off my
dirt jump bike and the wheels got the best of me, toco'in my wheel
down a steep section. somehow i ran down 40' nonexistent trail full
of rock ledges and hard pack dirt ruts. both my heels are bruised. with
26'' bars i think i would have been fine.

the exiwolf tires i did not get a good test on. they worked ok on the hard
pack pea gravel as good as they could. however the wheels do roll over
stuff just as good as i expected, even better in some nasty
rock gardens when i went off-line. i did sit on my rear once absorbing b/f
a drop. that is unavoidable and i will just have to adjust.

i was jumping front wheel high for some reason? maybe i am just getting used to them?

just putting on 29s to try on a 26 bike doesn't give them a fair change.
the bike is by no means dialed! bb is to high, head angle is too slack,
not 6'' in the front, tall narrow bars and flexy front wheel all made for some sketch riding.

i'll post some pics/vid soon.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Once you get it more dialed, do you see it having some potential or do you think that 29er is not worth it for DH?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Bicyclist said:
Once you get it more dialed, do you see it having some potential or do you think that 29er is not worth it for DH?
yes, when a 1000g gooey rubber 2.5 and 135 front hub comes around.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
zedro said:
well considering an average mtb tire is really about 27", 2 inches more tire for 2 inches less suspension sounds like a zero-sum gain :clue:
well, having your bb 2'' lower in relation to you axles has a cornering advantage. when tires are availible you will get increaced tire patch.

not everone will fall in love. to each his own. but so far i like them.