Quantcast

My 4Runner is all set for yet another 100k miles!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My 1997 4Runner has 200,000 miles on the OD so it was time to take it in for a lil' maintenance and TLC.

1. New timing belt
2. New water pump (since it's easy to get to with #1 above)
3. Transmission service
4. Cooling system service
5. New belts and hoses
6. Brake job
7. New power antenna (old cable was broken)
8. New fuel filter and spark plugs
9. Oil change and new rear diff oil change
10. New car like detailing!

Dropped it off this morning and picking it up right now after work.

I love my Toy and she has always been good to me and I PROMISE not to go 10,000 miles without changing the oil again...

Toyota reliability roxors!!11!1!!1!1

:thumb:

She costs me less than $250/year in maintenance costs... anyone know what kind of longevity I can expect out of the engine? 300k? 400k? Half a million miles???

Gregg

Chimp
May 24, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Dang, you must drive alot. My 1985 4runner only has 175,000 miles. :p

I actually remember seeing an article a while back about a guy who had a 2wd tacoma that he used as a delivery truck, he traded it in with 500,000 miles for a new one. :cool: They also had a list of the parts he had replaced, which was very short.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
sick one mang. iv got an 00 pushing 100k right now with the s/c on it. my old 96 4runner is still going strong under a friend with 210. man i want the 96-98 fron bumper with pp spoiler.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
dexter said:
sick one mang. iv got an 00 pushing 100k right now with the s/c on it. my old 96 4runner is still going strong under a friend with 210. man i want the 96-98 fron bumper with pp spoiler.

I want the TRD supercharger... but I don't know if my 200k engine can handle the stresses of it...

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
"...I love my Toy and she has always been good to me and I PROMISE not to go 10,000 miles without changing the oil again..."

Run MOBIL1 and she won't get near as mad at you if you miss an oil change date by a little.. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
N8 said:
You have no idea what the heck you are talking about do you?
Yea, you put a TRD sticker on a 4-runner that does not come stock with a TRD off-road package.
Its the same as buying a BMX 3-series and putting a M3 badge on it.
Or wearing an Air Force jacket when you can't even fly a plane. :blah:
Your sticker is covering your gas cap, it that not a pain in the azz?

Nice 4 runner though. I put 205,000 miles on one myself. :)

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
what did it cost you to get the rear diff oil changed?

i know the stealership charges like 100 something for transfercase fluid change, and thats like a 20 min job lol

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Cool. I would think you could expect 400k before you have to start putting money in it regularly, especially if any of those miles are highway miles.

I've got about 115 on my 96, but my rig is starting to show signs that it's been used pretty hard most of it's life. Thinking about getting rid of it, but with all the mods it's not worth much and I don't have the energy right now to sell it outright.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Jeremy R said:
Yea, you put a TRD sticker on a 4-runner that does not come stock with a TRD off-road package.
Its the same as buying a BMX 3-series and putting a M3 badge on it.
Or wearing an Air Force jacket when you can't even fly a plane. :blah:
Your sticker is covering your gas cap, it that not a pain in the azz?

Nice 4 runner though. I put 205,000 miles on one myself. :)

The sticker is GENUINE Toyota... not a fake... :p:p:p:p:p

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
captainpolution said:
what did it cost you to get the rear diff oil changed?

i know the stealership charges like 100 something for transfercase fluid change, and thats like a 20 min job lol

It's $$$$pendy.. :dead:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:
Cool. I would think you could expect 400k before you have to start putting money in it regularly, especially if any of those miles are highway miles.

I've got about 115 on my 96, but my rig is starting to show signs that it's been used pretty hard most of it's life. Thinking about getting rid of it, but with all the mods it's not worth much and I don't have the energy right now to sell it outright.

I'd say I have about 20% highway miles. I have been really bad lately and have been using the hell out of it pulling construction debris trailers to and from job sites without changing the oil regularly... I've got to stop that though.

The thing is that I have really looked and shopped around for a 2005 4Runner but I keep compairing it to my 3rd gen and liking the 3rd gen better (except for the newness factor).

However, I do want a new FJ40 when it comes out... :drool:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
I'd say I have about 20% highway miles. I have been really bad lately and have been using the hell out of it pulling construction debris trailers to and from job sites without changing the oil regularly... I've got to stop that though.

The thing is that I have really looked and shopped around for a 2005 4Runner but I keep compairing it to my 3rd gen and liking the 3rd gen better (except for the newness factor).

However, I do want a new FJ40 when it comes out... :drool:

I'll be interested to see the FJ that actually hits dealer floors.

My wife has an 05 4Runner. Once I got used to how girly it felt compared to my truck, I realized it's a pretty nice truck... very smooth.

If I get rid of my truck, I'll probably get a new Tacoma. I'm also thinking about keeping the truck and getting a motorcycle for a summer DD. Knowing me, I probably won't do anything... I'll just keep complaining about my truck.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jacksonpt said:

My wife has an 05 4Runner. Once I got used to how girly it felt compared to my truck, I realized it's a pretty nice truck... very smooth.

If I get rid of my truck, I'll probably get a new Tacoma. I'm also thinking about keeping the truck and getting a motorcycle for a summer DD. Knowing me, I probably won't do anything... I'll just keep complaining about my truck.

Yeah, I am probably going to buy a 4-door Taco 4x4 next year as well. I am keeping my 4Runner though. I made the mistake of selling my 87' Toy 4x4 pick-up when I bought my 4Runner and have regreted it ever since.

*edit* Last night I at Barnes & Nobles some d00d in a brand new Hummer 3 parked next to my '97 4Runner which game a good chance to compair how they looked side by side. The conclusion? The H3 suxors ass... Who wants side windows on a suv that are only 10_in tall??? The H3 looks really smushed down and the clearence under neath is no better than my 3rd gen.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:

Just buy an xterra... :)

Sorry, I had to throw that in there.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
Yeah, I am probably going to buy a 4-door Taco 4x4 next year as well. I am keeping my 4Runner though. I made the mistake of selling my 87' Toy 4x4 pick-up when I bought my 4Runner and have regreted it ever since.

*edit* Last night I at Barnes & Nobles some d00d in a brand new Hummer 3 parked next to my '97 4Runner which game a good chance to compair how they looked side by side. The conclusion? The H3 suxors ass... Who wants side windows on a suv that are only 10_in tall??? The H3 looks really smushed down and the clearence under neath is no better than my 3rd gen.
Hummer = crap

end of story.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
hehe... I'd expect nothign less from you. But regardless, I doubt I'd sell one SUV just to buy another.
I've been pretty happy with my xterra. It is almost exactly what I want in a vehicle right now in my life. The only things I would change about it is a little more cargo room would be nice, better gas mileage, and I'm hoping on adding an additional leaf spring soon.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
stosh said:
I've been pretty happy with my xterra. It is almost exactly what I want in a vehicle right now in my life. The only things I would change about it is a little more cargo room would be nice, better gas mileage, and I'm hoping on adding an additional leaf spring soon.

The Xterra could sure use coil over springs back there....

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
N8 said:
Last night I at Barnes & Nobles some d00d in a brand new Hummer 3 parked next to my '97 4Runner which game a good chance to compair how they looked side by side. The conclusion? The H3 suxors ass... Who wants side windows on a suv that are only 10_in tall??? The H3 looks really smushed down and the clearence under neath is no better than my 3rd gen.
Also only comes with the 220 horse 5 cylinder that has enough trouble moving the chevy colorado.