and i wanna cut them down but not to short

like could anyone give me a good size to cut them down to

so i can barspin x-up n all that jazz ?

cheers

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Don't blame your bars on not being able to barspin/x up. That's what I ride. If you still want shorter go 24" and see how it is.

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
ya i got new bars and forgot to cut them down (i was in whistler so i was in a hurry to ride the djs that i had just crashed on haha) and i was like crap this is gonna be impossible to do x-ups and tables and whatnot, but once i got used to them it really wasn't any different than my shorter bars.

DThomson

Monkey
Nov 1, 2004
26.5 is where its at for me. xup no problem, i cant barspin in the air but its still comfortable.

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
I agree ride whatevers comfortable for you, if they feel too wide, take off a little at a time. Personally i like my bars narrow, not sure what mine are at the moment though.

Battlecat

Chimp
Nov 6, 2006
North Vancouver
my bars feel pretty long on my bike, its tough to get my knees back on x-ups. I have been riding with my hands in more on the bars so I am thinking i will cut them down abit to make it easier while jumping.

Deadrider

Chimp
Aug 31, 2006
i wouldnt have a problem with my bars being so big
but i just cant bar spin with them so big

tommorow taking them into college to get cut to like 23/24inch from something like 26inch :banghead:

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
man 25 is even to small........i ride 28in bars and still do x-ups and bunnyhop bars. my friend "guy" has extended 32" bars and still does any thing you could with 25'' bars. leave the bars at 25 and learn your tricks with those, you will get used to them.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
hahha somebody pm LANDON about narrow bars according to Aaron over at match he is running them real narrow right now...:bonk: :banghead:

I want a response from him on how he can do this...I am so curious.

Sep 8, 2004
Landon probably has his bars setup the same way as guy. There are 2" extensions placed at both ends of the bars. Pretty cool stuff, crazy though. Last night Guy threw a barspin with his, and was doing turndowns/etc all over. If he's there again tonight, I'll get some photographic evidence.

-james.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just dont understand how 32"s are advantagous...I am not a style king or anything so i might not have room to talk but im just confused.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Wider bars provide greater leverage on the bike. Greater leverage means a less force is required to manuver the bike. If you've ridden a BMX with Slams (or any wide bars...) you know how light a touch the bike requires, and how much more a bike moves when you you really lay into it. The additional width also helps with stability. I noticed it most trying to manual through a roller section when I tried narrow bars....couldn't keep the bike in a straight line which wasn't a problem on my bike with wide bars. I'm just goint to guess the subtle corrections that I'm used to making wheren't sufficient enough with narrow bars.

I'm not saying that people who ride narrow bars are unstable, or that everyone should ride wide bars. I'm just trying to explain why someone would want to run wide bars.

Anyway, Guy wanted to match the feel of his 20" (with Slams) on his Fall Guy. He suggested a wider bar (32") might give him the same leverage on his Fall Guy that he's used to on his 20, so we modified some bars for him to try. It's an experiment based in a sound theory, and I'm impressed that he's confindent enough to try something new. So far he's stoked, and in this case that's all that matters. After riding his bike around a little, I could definately see myself on a similar set-up, on my FG and especially larger travel bikes. Soooooo much control and stability. FYI, a trail rider in the Seattle area is known for riding 36" wide bars on a 20"...extenstions welded onto his Slams.

I'm a little bummed about the "those bars look stuipid" comments. There is absolutely nothing stuipid about trying something new.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Not trying to kid anyone. Just trying something new at the suggestion of a talented rider.

I'd give my right nut to look as "stupid" as Guy does on a bike...

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I know he runs them but that really doesnt mean anything, you can prob get a better position on the bike with shorter...

if rennie does it, it must be the best thing to do. and that goes for everyone, not just rennie.

(in case you didnt catch it, that was sarcasm, as was my one-word first post.)

ps - i run stock width bars (read: don't really care that much)

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Big bars are the sh!t in NOR-CAL too. Everyone I know runs uncut slams, or uncut bars in general...everyone except BRAD!

J/K brad.