Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Jump off a bridge

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
I'd call that a pretty chickensh!t move that when a bunch of people are giving him a hard time, he decides to take a swing at the girl.
I'm not trying to start crap here ... just seems that everyone was piling it on ... Everyone else who talked smack are just little nothings ...

IAB is someone who I really look up to and respect. He's why I came to this site. To have his his wife get a shot in also, really isn't what I was expecting and THAT is what I was reacting to.

Especially when I don't come by often ... so it's not like I came just to get my chain pulled ... I came for real advice.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm not trying to start crap here ... just seems that everyone was piling it on ... Everyone else who talked smack are just little nothings ...

IAB is someone who I really look up to and respect. He's why I came to this site. To have his his wife get a shot in also, really isn't what I was expecting and THAT is what I was reacting to.

Especially when I don't come by often ... so it's not like I came just to get my chain pulled ... I came for real advice.
I'd say put it in the past. And in the future, don't mess with the "first lady" ;)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Giant Reign 0. Rumored to come in around 30 pounds. Should be plenty burly.

At your weight I'd simply suggest you don't let pedal bob bother you. :D

That would be crazy if the reign weighed less than my Trance X. Of course, I could probably shed a pound or two by replacing the rear wheel.

At 225, I started with a banshee chapparral(38lbs and for sale:busted:) with no problems, picked up a cheap Jamis Dakar XC frame -- ended up breaking the seattube --and have now moved to a Giant Trance X. I have also shed 10-15lbs so far this year so I'm down in the 210 range.

Folks in your range are going to have to go burly. I don't know much about the Specialized line, but I have a feeling the Epic IS NOT DESIGNED for your weight class.

I would have to say no on the hardtail unless your trails are the buff singletrack type. You would have to run way too much air pressure to stop pinch flatting -- not fun.

It would be nice if people didn't piss all over every thread.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Guys, back on point. list some bikes for this guy:
Santa Cruz Heckler
Yeti 575

All 5" travel bikes built for All-Mountain riding. XC for 225+ is all mountain

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I'd go with any number of beefy 5 or 6" All Mountain models if I were you. Pedalbob is far far FAR less a concern than it was 4+ years ago, and regardless you can usually tune it out via shock tuning. You're a big guy, and if you were 210/220 when you were in shape, it means you're putting a lot of power into what is a pretty lightweight, XC race oriented frame.

I'd also be nicer to girls. :)

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Heckler is probably the perfect bike for him.
RFX
X-5 or Terremoto
Nomad (???)

I have a "weight blessed" friend that went from an M5 Epic that he said was a noodle (duh) to a Waltworks 29er built just for him. Loves it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Blieb, you get nothing but tough love around here. The monkeys will help you out all they can but not without jabbing you in the ribs and neck a few times in the process. It doesn't matter who you are...if you ask a question, you're going to get ripped. If you can take the low blows in stride you'll usually get the answers you need in the end. :)

btw, nice to see you around again. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Blieb, you get nothing but tough love around here. The monkeys will help you out all they can but not without jabbing you in the ribs and neck a few times in the process. It doesn't matter who you are...if you ask a question, you're going to get ripped. If you can take the low blows in stride you'll usually get the answers you need in the end. :)

Go get bent you low-life. :bonk:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

You're an awful nice guy to be nice to Blob like this after he called your wife a poo poo head.:thumb:

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
You're absolutely right ... I've become too content with the boring corners of the Internet!

Might have to start hanging around here so I can get a jab or two in myself ...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Heckler is probably the perfect bike for him.
RFX
X-5 or Terremoto
Nomad (???)

I have a "weight blessed" friend that went from an M5 Epic that he said was a noodle (duh) to a Waltworks 29er built just for him. Loves it.
I think a lot depends on the rider, too. I've known a rider or two (names withheld to protect the innocent) that break every friggin bike they ride, including the "beefier" bikes.

Blieb

Chimp
Apr 14, 2003
In Yo Face!
Thankfully these days I ride a lot smoother ... had a few years to work on it ... :) ... just not ready to spend the $$$$$$ then be eating parts like in my hard tail days!

I think a lot depends on the rider, too. I've known a rider or two (names withheld to protect the innocent) that break every friggin bike they ride, including the "beefier" bikes.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Ok everyone ... been a long ass time since I've been here ... I don't have cliffs available .... but I will use paragraphs!

I have a 2004 Epic. Got it new ... and I beat up on bikes.
I've cracked the frame on the rear chainstay twice. This is when I was weighing in around 225.

The bike has had all kinds of problems, creaking, I can feel movement in my right leg on the downstroke. I've spent a fortune replacing parts and the LBS this past year ... barely ride the damn thing, it's no fun in the present condition ... the LBS is now saying that maybe it's time to give up and move on to a new bike. WTF. He's giving up because of a creak!? After taking all my $$$ ... :banghead:

So part of me just wants to take the bike to another shop to see what they say. I understand pivots can get worn and creak, I'm just not confident with them throwing in the towel without a better investigation.

There's been talk about shifting to a single pivot full suspension. I'm weighing in at about 250 right now, and I'd have to kill myself if I get something with pedal bob.

Some people are trying to talk me into a hard tail, but I remember a few years back, they said I needed a soft-tail like the Epic to just absorb enough of the rear wheel trauma so I wouldn't be eating parts like I had been on my old hard tail.

-----------------------------------

What do you guys think? Keep trying with the Epic? Maybe try another shop?

Or succumb to the new bike tease? Any suggestions for someone who weighs in hefty but likes to toss the bike around and is addicted to speed?

Hard tail? Soft?
Hey Blieb,

I work in a shop that sells Specialized, and am really familiar with the Epic (I ride an 02 Turner RFX). I ride with a guy who is perhaps similar to you in build. He's a big guy that you would never expect to totally smoke you on the climbs... He has ridden the same Turner Burner for years.

While the Epic is a great bike, it is a light-weight XC bike and not especially designed to take the torsional forces and impacts that someone your size would... inflict on it.

The mechanic at your shop is probably "giving up" on it because he figures it's only a matter of time before this frame becomes fatigued beyond its capabilities. It's not that you are riding it beyond what it is designed to do per se, it is that unfortunately at your weight, you will stress the frame more than a lighter-weight person simply by riding it. It's the same reason that heavier people have knee and ankle problems more often than lighter-weight people. Just walking around, you put more stress on the joints.

I would say you would have better luck with a Stumpjumper or the Turner 5-Spot. The suspension designs are going to give you better performance than a single-pivot, being that they are modeled on the Horst link. The frames are solid, but not heavy, and both companies are known for superior customer service. With Turner, you are more at liberty to build your own bike up as you choose. Both have 69* head tube angles, 5"-travel, and can be built up at around 26-28 lbs.

I know you're used to a 4"-travel bike with a 70.5* headtube angle, but understand that if you get another light-weight XC bike, you will likely have trouble with it. That said, if you are determined to go 4"-travel and 70* headtube, I'd take a long look at the Turner Flux. My riding buddy Tom has the pre-Flux (Burner) with a coil shock, a Marzocchi up front, and hand-built wheels. He rides over anything, climbs like few people I know, and regularly jumps ditches on it. The bike seems indestructible. As I said, he's probably close to your weight.

Good luck!
-sunny

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
id say sell the epic.. and get a heckler... I have used and abused mine and it keeps begging for more.. just make sure you get a well built wheelset, probably have them rebuild it with heavier duty spokes and go have fun on a bike.. thats the way it should be.

another option is checking out another shop and seeing what they say about the epic.. tell them what you have gone through already, and see if they think they can help