Quantcast

My Canfield F1 -- Before and After Pics

weird terry

Chimp
Jul 2, 2002
Found this Canfield F1 frame that obviously needed some TLC.

After about a month of work and calling in favors, I came up with this....

Needless to say, I'm quite happy with how she turned out.

weird terry

Chimp
Jul 2, 2002
You FOUND a Canfield F1 frame?!?!?

How the **** does that happen?! :biggrin:

...and if so, don't bogart the secret spot of free Canfields... spread tha wealth brotha!!!
Right next to the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. A leprechaun gives you a choice, beat up Canfield or a pot of gold.
I took the Canfield!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Right next to the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. A leprechaun gives you a choice, beat up Canfield or a pot of gold.
I took the Canfield!
I never knew leprechauns rode DH...

Trials - sure, I could see that. But DH?... nah.

At any rate - that's a really nice restoration job. Well done!

L

luelling

Did you send it off to have it painted? It looks great :clapping: your going to have some fun on that bike

weird terry

Chimp
Jul 2, 2002
Friggin' lovely man! I've always liked F1s in theory, never had the chance to ride one though. Any comments or critiques? What were you riding before?
I just finished building her up today, haven't had a chance yet to ride her yet. I had a DHR before but always wanted a Canfield.

Did you send it off to have it painted? It looks great :clapping: your going to have some fun on that bike
One of the favors I called in was with a bud who works at a powdercoating facility. They did a great job.

Please tell me you had to pay for the frame. That's a sick bike.
I did pay for the frame but just a fraction of what a new frame would cost.

L

luelling

Looks great, hope you enjoy!! It should be a change from the DHR (big difference in design and all)

Mountain_Dewd

Monkey
May 30, 2005
whis
Wow, im happy for you but kinda pissed. I PM'd the guy selling that frame 3 times and he never responded to me, I assumed he changed his mind about selling it.
ahh i'm the seller and i just checked my pm box and there was not one message in there from you. there must of been some snafu.

also terry jumped on it really fast and it was sold within like a day or two.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
ahh i'm the seller and i just checked my pm box and there was not one message in there from you. there must of been some snafu.

also terry jumped on it really fast and it was sold within like a day or two.
no hard feelings, I coulda swarn I send you a couple E-Mails, but its no big deal. Id be broke now If i build up that frame.

mjones51

Chimp
Mar 28, 2007
Mehoopany, PA
Awfull tight fit on the adjuster knob on the Rocco. You could take it off and shortenit a bit. Considering the great work you did on the rest of the bike , Shouldn't be too tough.
All in all nice job!!

R

RiDurbin

So how'd you handle the crack? Did you just reweld or get it heat treated also?

weird terry

Chimp
Jul 2, 2002
So how'd you handle the crack? Did you just reweld or get it heat treated also?
Called in a couple more favors and had it welded by a certified welder--very talented guy. The welder is also a mountain bike rider and he had no reservations about riding the frame after rewelding.
Since it is 7005 series aluminum, just had to "age" heat treat. Long duration and low temps. Was able to do that in one of the batch ovens at the place I got the frame powdercoated.