Quantcast

My car turned 100,000 Miles old today!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My Audi is getting old. Next week is time for some major work. Timing belt, motor mounts, spark plugs, wheel bearings, oil/filter change, seafoam engine treatment, tightening of the suspension etc.

Here is a shot from this morning:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
What kind of Audi?

I'm still wrestling with the idea of getting a 2004 avant...50,000 miles...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
It is a 1999.5 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T. I love Quattro. I got the car at 60,000 in 2005.

I am doing all the work just as normal maintenance. Also getting it ready for some upgrades later this year (turbo, FMIC, chip, injectors, etc). Just want to make sure all of the basic stuff is in great condition before giving it some more goodies.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I was driving my wife's car this weekend. We've had it over four years now, and it is still under 15K.

We're going to have our cars forever...

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
I have a picture of my Jeep hitting 100k this summer somewhere. Its a 2000 with 120k on it. It had 35k when I bought it 4 years ago. Still runs the same as the day I bought it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Motor mounts and wheel bearings? Not the sort of things I'd think of as normal maintenance, but hey - it's your dime! :D
heh yeah I guess its not that normal. I guess I was talking more about the oil/filter, plugs, and timing belt.

My wheels are getting the bad bearing hum and the motor/shifting has a little more play/movement than I would like it to have. I am going to get some stiff mounts for more power to the ground and better shifting. The wheel bearings should help a ton with tire wear.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
heh yeah I guess its not that normal. I guess I was talking more about the oil/filter, plugs, and timing belt.

My wheels are getting the bad bearing hum and the motor/shifting has a little more play/movement than I would like it to have. I am going to get some stiff mounts for more power to the ground and better shifting. The wheel bearings should help a ton with tire wear.
Ahhh... the dreaded bearing hum. I'm surprised that the motor mounts went... I'd think those would be lifetime items.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I mean, they aren't that bad (I have run with much worse), but I like smooth and very little play in shifting. I already have a short throw kit, but this should help a bunch. I used to run a solid front mount on my corrado. That was a little silly, but I really enjoyed it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Labor? Who the fvck pays someone else to do routine stuff like he listed?

Audi/VW parts are about in line with Subaru stuff, pricewise...and my 100k mile 1.8T is still on the original clutch. Feels pretty good, but will need replacement when the chip goes in eventually.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
The wheel bearings are the only things I am not doing myself (I don't have a bearing press to remove/install them). Everything else is easy to do myself. =]

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The wheel bearings are the only things I am not doing myself (I don't have a bearing press to remove/install them). Everything else is easy to do myself. =]
Harbor Freight! Or Autozone...they loan out bearing presses free. Wheel bearings are pretty easy to do. You'll do a 1.8t timing belt but not a wheel bearing? :p

But my time is worth a *lot* more than yours.
Or you're just a lazy hippy (henceforth known as "lippy") that doesn't know a tie rod from a connecting rod.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
It is a 1999.5 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T. I love Quattro. I got the car at 60,000 in 2005.

I am doing all the work just as normal maintenance. Also getting it ready for some upgrades later this year (turbo, FMIC, chip, injectors, etc). Just want to make sure all of the basic stuff is in great condition before giving it some more goodies.
Oh right...I knew that...

I want your car.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I've got roughly 210,000 miles on my truck. Still runs like a top.
My Toyota reads 285,000 with 4.10 gears and 35" tires. So with the adjustment for less than accurate odometer reading since lifted and whatnot, it has more like 350k on the chassis. The engine has about 10k on it and the rest of the drivetrain will be brand new in about a month with 5.29 gears.

The body is slowly being recycled with cleaner sheet metal too, but the metal is the same age, just straighter and not rusty.

Runs and drives well for an '85. Gets about 20 mpg too.