Quantcast

My chain keeps falling off!!!

Animal Chin

Chimp
Jul 2, 2002
Calgary, Ab
I can't believe I am having so much trouble having my chain stay on my ring. Here is my story:
I stopped using a front derailleur a couple weeks ago and had a big and middle ring (needed the big one so the chainring bolts would tighten) on my cranks - used the middle ring - chain kept falling off
Then I took off my LRP chainguide from my other bike and put on the bash guard and roller - chain kept falling off
Next step was to put a front derailleur on the bike (not hooked up) to act like some sort of chainguide for the top - chain keeps falling off - (I wheelie dropped a CURB this morning on the way into work and it fell off!!)

I'm getting very frustrated and am looking to buy an MRP Mini Me (30-34T) chainguide but this just seems overboard to have my chain stay on my xc bike!! What am I doing wrong? Anybody have any thoughts? Should I just hook my my front derailleur, put 3 rings on and hope for the best? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You need to have a guide of some type at the top of the chainring, where the teeth engage the chain, or you will always drop chains. A derailleur will work, and then good lower roller helps, but if you're only running a single ring, than your best bet is either the mini-me, or one of the guides designed for BMX chainwheels (just an upper box/slider); check out unreal cycles for some of those. AC makes on I think, but I can't remember the names of any others. That's your cheapest bet, but I don't know if they'll work with that big ring in place. You can also order shorter chainring bolts so you don't have to run the big ring.

Poser

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Calgary, AB
Originally posted by Animal Chin
I can't believe I am having so much trouble having my chain stay on my ring. Here is my story:
I stopped using a front derailleur a couple weeks ago and had a big and middle ring (needed the big one so the chainring bolts would tighten) on my cranks - used the middle ring - chain kept falling off
Then I took off my LRP chainguide from my other bike and put on the bash guard and roller - chain kept falling off
Next step was to put a front derailleur on the bike (not hooked up) to act like some sort of chainguide for the top - chain keeps falling off - (I wheelie dropped a CURB this morning on the way into work and it fell off!!)

I'm getting very frustrated and am looking to buy an MRP Mini Me (30-34T) chainguide but this just seems overboard to have my chain stay on my xc bike!! What am I doing wrong? Anybody have any thoughts? Should I just hook my my front derailleur, put 3 rings on and hope for the best? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

You wheelie dropped a CURB! NO WAY! You are lying... Dont forget I road with you at Powder face and spanked your ass to the second check point!

There is no way you could go over that curb and not crash!

Kosin Trouble :D :D :D

P.S. I am such an A-Hole

Poser

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Calgary, AB
Ok, everyone, the truth must be told... That and Animal Chin threatened to come over to my cubical and beat the snot out of me, considering his cubical is right next to mine.

The reason I beat his ass to the check point, is it was a single track up hill and he couldnt, and I wouldnt let him get by him. :) But it still made me feel good that I got there before him. In all honesty he is a fricken machine that never stops on any hill, at least none that I have seen so far.

And yes I walked down a part of the trail, while did wheelie drops off a few 3 foot sections...

There I said it... and the only reason I am really telling the truth is he said he wont take me to anymore trails with him. :(

Kosin Trouble

P.S. I still think I am such a A-Hole! :devil: