Quantcast

my computer hates me.

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology' started by narlus, Mar 4, 2008.

1. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 25
    i am really really pissed off right now.

last night, i noticed an error on my external Seagate drive, saying it couldn't write the P:\$Mtf file and data was lost. i rebooted and the OS recognized the drive, and i was able to access my data. like an idiot, i didn't back up the non-backed up data, assuming that this error message was related to the RAM issues i've been having. i turned the PC off last night.

i turn it on today, and got the same error, something along the lines of a 'write delayed error' or somesuch. bottom line is that no data was shown on the drive, except for the top-most directory; on one reboot i was able to see all of the folders, and i was psyched because i was gonna back 'em up, but all the folders were empty.

i figured i could run the GetDataBack recovery utility, since that worked well on the WD500 that died about 3 weeks ago. nope. i get some exception error, as the program is trying to locate the damaged drive. it picks up my other drives, but not the one i care about, so i can't try to retrieve the data.

what are my options? should i bite the (probably expensive) bullet and send it to some data recovery service? my photos from Mexico are on there, and i'd really like to have those. there's a bunch of other stuff too (including i think the Neurosis and Mastodon RAW files), and a bunch of ripped music that i can get back.

basically, i have had THE worst luck...first the WD drive dies, then my RAM and/or MoBo slot goes wonky, now this...what the hell is going on?????

:plthumbsdown:

any helpful advice is much appreciated.

#1 -   Mar 4, 2008

Please register to disable this ad.

2. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 4
    File Scavenger. All of my data from my XP machine would have been lost if not for this. Works better than any of the others I checked out.

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm

READ ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

Somehow I think all of your probs must be connected. Bad PSU? Bad mobo? who knows.

If the data is there, it will get it back.

#2 -   Mar 4, 2008
  3. SK6

SK6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Good link to have handy!

#3 -   Mar 4, 2008
  4. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 25
    well i was optimistic that GetDataBack would work, as it did the trick for the other drive.

i just checked and the rest of my gig shots are safe on another drive, but i am really worried i'll lose my vacation shots. i had some great ones. :( i am really pissed off at myself that i didn't back them up last night when i had the chance, but i assumed that write delay error was caused by my RAM issue, so i powered the machine down thinking it wouldn't be affected anymore, and i popped in the old tried-and-true RAM when i got home from work today.

the music i don't care about, i can reload off my DVD backups. but it will still be a lot of time.

#4 -   Mar 4, 2008
  5. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 25
    after powering down the disk for a while, and having a phone discussion w/ a data recovery service, i was all set to bite the (expensive) bullet and get my hard drive sent in.

i then had a good idea to check my existing cards from vacation and see what i could salvage; two hadn't been touched aside from one being reformatted, and while GetDataBack wouldn't work, ZeroAssumptionRecovery did (which is what i used a while back to retrieve images from a formatted CF card which hadn't been written to after formatting). using ZAR on the remaining cards allowed me to get about half of my RAW files from my vacation. :)

since both data recovery aps gave different results, i decided to give H8R's recommendation a try, at least using the demo version which would check to see what data was recoverable (you need the license to actually get the data back, but $60 is a lot cheaper than the disc recovery service fee).

so i plug my faulty drive back in, and voil√°! i can see the data! :dancing:

so i grabbed it all and dumped it to another hard drive, letting it work overnight.

this morning i get up, the data is safe on the other drive, and the faulty drive is giving me the same 'delayed write failure, unable to save $Mtf file' error. the drive is going back to seagate for a warranty claim, and i'm convinced that something about my PC is fubar so i am on the hunt for a replacement.

#5 -   Mar 5, 2008
  6. SK6

SK6 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    What was the approximate cost for the data retrieval?

#6 -   Mar 5, 2008
  7. binary visions

binary visions The voice of reason

Rep/Likes:
    83 / 361
    Wow... You seem to be getting hosed on computer hardware lately.

I just pieced together a screamer of a computer for about $1k.

I wonder if your motherboard or PSU is causing issues? Do you have any power problems in your house, i.e. dirty power that fluctuates?

#7 -   Mar 5, 2008
  8. $tinkle

$tinkle Expert on blowing

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    hbd??

#8 -   Mar 5, 2008
  9. syadasti

syadasti i heart mac

Rep/Likes:
    64 / 291
    #9 -   Mar 5, 2008
  10. H8R

H8R Cranky Pants

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 4
    :rofl:

11. narlus

Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 25
    i don't think i do, but syadasti had forwarded a few helpful links for new machines...i am 99% sure i will have a new machine in less than 3 weeks.

12. $tinkle

$tinkle Expert on blowing

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    just this morning i had "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" on my work laptop (corrupted boot.ini).

glad i had an xp disc lying around: checkdsk /p -> fixboot -> winnar!