Quantcast

My computer wont shut down.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Well it says shutting down, but it doesn't. I think I got a bug in the system. I tried system restore, but that didn't work. Any suggestions, beside trying Raid:bonk: :biggrin: :banghead:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Go into your the task manager. Go into 'processes'. Watch for any process that seems to repeatedly use a little bit of processor every few seconds. Close it down. Start with things which are all in capitals.

Now try.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Need some further info:

- Does it really just NOT shut down, or do you just not wait for it? If you let it run for long enough, will it eventually shut off?

- Do you have any other symptoms of a problem - error messages, hardware that doesn't work properly, anything like that?

- Do you have Roxio EZ CD Creator?

- Do you ever defragment your drives?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Need some further info:

- Does it really just NOT shut down, or do you just not wait for it? If you let it run for long enough, will it eventually shut off?

- Do you have any other symptoms of a problem - error messages, hardware that doesn't work properly, anything like that?

- Do you have Roxio EZ CD Creator?

- Do you ever defragment your drives?
It just sits there without shutting down, everything else appears to be working properly, however I'm now having trouble accessing a security sire for work.
I don't have Roxio
Yes I've defragmented the drives and still now help.
I did what you said on the next post and still no workie:banghead:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Time to reinstall windows, sorry. You can fight with it for hours and never find the problem, or reinstall and have a fresh start in 60 mins.

Windows loves to do these things. I have a friend who's machine just stopped recognizing the floppy last week. The floppy is needed for work, and he has to at the very least, salvage what's on them. (professor, years of stuff on probably corrupt by now floppies).

We went as far as pulling the floppy and pluging into my server tomake sure it wasn't a hardware issue. Windows says the drive is installed, drivers are installed and it's currently working perfectly. mm hmm.

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
Have you recently installed any software? Do you have adaware/adwatch? I have had adwatch make mine hang up on shutdown before. If I taskmanage and end task adwatch it will let me shutdown properly.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Time to reinstall windows, sorry. You can fight with it for hours and never find the problem, or reinstall and have a fresh start in 60 mins.

Windows loves to do these things. I have a friend who's machine just stopped recognizing the floppy last week. The floppy is needed for work, and he has to at the very least, salvage what's on them. (professor, years of stuff on probably corrupt by now floppies).

We went as far as pulling the floppy and pluging into my server tomake sure it wasn't a hardware issue. Windows says the drive is installed, drivers are installed and it's currently working perfectly. mm hmm.
:stupid: