Quantcast

My daughters are now felons.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
It's like those word association puzzles- if sedan:car, then MTB:bicycle except if you picked spanking:beating as the answer you would be wrong.
Why is this? This is because chevrolet is a type of car and a mountain bike is a type of bicycle. Spanking is not a type of beating, while it certainly could be beating if done in excess or too much force it is simply a type of discipline. If spanking:discipline was selected, that would also be an appropriate response to sedan:car.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
It's like those word association puzzles- if sedan:car, then MTB:bicycle except if you picked spanking:beating as the answer you would be wrong.
Why is this? This is because chevrolet is a type of car and a mountain bike is a type of bicycle. Spanking is not a type of beating, while it certainly could be beating if done in excess or too much force it is simply a type of discipline. If spanking:discipline was selected, that would also be an appropriate response to sedan:car.
you're studying for your SAT's huh?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
So you failed?

Beating: An act of repeated hitting or striking.

Spanking: A number of slaps on the buttocks delivered in rapid succession.
Difference of degree. A few whacks to get one's point across is ok, but when the goal is to inflict lasting pain and suffering, I think you're on shaky parenting ground.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Hahaha... That's hilarious.

With my dad being a cop for almost 30 years, when I'd get pulled over in his city, there was some loss of driving privileges, grounding, and severe "I'm disappointed in you" speak around the house.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i never remember being hit by my parents....maybe the blunt force trauma to the head from my brothers has made my memory a little foggy.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
So you failed?
I killed it actually. It's all a difference of the interpretation of the word.
Rant:
I guess my parents didn't put up with $hit and disciplined my siblings and I in a way that a growing segment of society sees unfit today (spanking, washing mouth out with soap...) I have no problem with people choosing to spank or to not spank their kids, it's a personal decision. I do have a problem with all this hippie liberal bs that people are trying to pull about spanking being too tough of a form of punishment and wrong. If you don't like it, don't do it. Don't tell someone else that you think it's too harsh and they shouldn't. The way I see it is that no one will take responsibility for anyone, much less themselves these days, and they pawn off their problems on something or someone else (society.) Manimal luckily doesn't fall into the above category of limp wristed b*tches and actually disciplines his children and takes responsibility for their upbringing unlike many people who let their kids do as they please which from what I've seen in many cases leads to Manimal having a very busy job.
I'm not a parent, but I know people who are and I hear it's not an easy job and takes an epic amount of love, work, and time to do it right, props for those who take responsibility for the job and their children. This whole "let them do what they want, they'll learn" concept has become common and is now accepted in society whereas 20 years ago, it would have been looked down on. Sure, there is an element of learning involved in letting children figure out things on their own, I'm not saying that that should not take place, it's the whole "it's just a phase" mentality that I see as wrong. It's not a phase, it's laziness and stupidity on the part of the parents. I believe that everyone has come to accept this as common and not a problem simply because many people allow society to think for them and determine what is right or wrong and society's views of commonalities or norms are ever changing. This ever changing or evolving society that we are all a part of should change, that's what happens with progression, but certain truths and rights and wrongs should not change with society.
Example: A kid getting hurt on dirt jumps and parents sue the land owner for the injury. While I'm sure no one on here would pawn off the responsibility of their kids on a bike wherever they may be, injured or not on a landowner etc... it is something that a person could legitimately sue a land owner, has happened multiple times, and is a case that we as cyclists are more familiar with, thus an adequate example. While our sport is new and this was not an issue 30 years ago, I think that many can look back and realize that if it did happen, people would have assumed responsibility for the potential actions that led to the injury whether it be their actions of improper supervision, their kids actions of disobedience, or simply getting injured which is an inherent risk associated with the activity and dealt with the consequences accordingly without filing a lawsuit.

I'm not saying that I am correct and everyone who disagrees with me is wrong. Raising a child is something that everyone does differently and has different beliefs on how to do it. I'm just stating how I see things in society today, pretty messed up. Spankings or no spankings, I think people should take responsibility as Manimal does and step up to the plate in different areas of life, last I saw, his kids aren't afraid of him, mistreated in any way, or unwilling to communicate with him just because he believes in spankings as a form of discipline. They are, however are pretty stoked, happy, always having fun, and also obedient and respectful. Sure, some people have had bad experiences growing up, and they remember spankings as being the reason or harsh punishment, but there are also kids who grow up and end up in prison for their whole lives because of a lack of punishment or other circumstances that may or may not be beyond control. Everything in life is about finding the correct medium. I know I have areas of my life I need to work on it in just as much as everyone else does and I am not accusing anyone on here of being wrong, raising kids wrong, acting wrong, living wrong, etc. I am simply bringing up an issue and trend that I have noticed becoming larger and larger and explaining it how I see it. I'm hoping that people will take the time to read this if they want to and not try to correct me as I have my opinions just as people who don't want to spank their children have theirs. I never said that spanking is right and not is wrong, that issue is a mater of opinion. The issue I am addressing is the much larger issue of responsibility and society. While this could have been put in a thread on its own unrelated to discipline, I felt as if it fit here so here it is.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
what a great post/story. At least they only took some soda, unlike the two little boys that totally ripped apart their neighbor's house while she was sleeping a few months back.

I believe the doggy door makers are actually in controversy because they have known about kids getting out and other incidents, but refuse to put a warning on their product. At least that's what my wife told me one night surfing the web.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
here's how our spanking routine works:

child is sat in "time out" to cool off.
after "cooling off" period (sometimes never, depending on the child ;) ) the child must explain to parent what he/she did wrong
child is given the level of punishment be it number of "spanks", which toy would be confiscated or how long/what child is grounded from.
if spanking is the punishment, child is told to "assume the position" and the pops on the butt are dished out.
after spanking child is hugged, reminded that they are loved and sent on their way to conquer the world.

as any parent does, this routine isn't always followed to the "t" but we try very hard to keep it as regimented as possible so that it isn't done out of anger on our part.

call it what you want, but it's my choice as a parent and, frankly, i don't really give a crap if you don't agree with it. these are MY kids and i'll raise them as i see fit. my parents spanked the fire out of me growing up and every time i know i needed it. i am very confident in the fact that my parents spanked me out of love and their desire for me to be a productive member of society. i think it worked. my brother is a surgeon and i'm a "civil servant." we're obviously scarred from our violent upbringing ;)

arkayne...that picture is a gold mine! thanks!

edit: sorry for the delayed reply, we just got back from a week at the beach where we celebrated our draconian punishment style with quality time together. ;)
as you can see, spanked kids are violently unhappy :D

Last edited:

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
My dog saw my wife naked 10 hours back. should i punish and discipline my dog for doing that?
My wife was taking morning shower, but she forget to close the bathroom door. I have 2 year old husky male who went inside the bathroom because he got curious by hearing the sound of the shower. He then moved the shower curtain to see what is behind it, and my wife screamed for a second or two.

Because of this he got to see my wife when she was nude. I feel very offended at his behavior and wish to discipline him by denying him his toys and his small evening snack. Should i do that?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
My dog saw my wife naked 10 hours back. should i punish and discipline my dog for doing that?
My wife was taking morning shower, but she forget to close the bathroom door. I have 2 year old husky male who went inside the bathroom because he got curious by hearing the sound of the shower. He then moved the shower curtain to see what is behind it, and my wife screamed for a second or two.

Because of this he got to see my wife when she was nude. I feel very offended at his behavior and wish to discipline him by denying him his toys and his small evening snack. Should i do that?
no, your dog was only searching for more peanut butter.

no, your dog was only searching for more peanut butter.
Damn. Brings back story from days when they drafted people into the Army.

Guy gets drafted, told to show up for physical, etc.

Smears a bunch of peanut butter between his butt cheeks and shows up on schedule.

Gets to the bend over portion of the physical.

The doc, grossed out, says "What's this?"

Draftee scoops up a finger full, eats it, say "Lunch!"

The Army decided they could do without him.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Damn. Brings back story from days when they drafted people into the Army.

Guy gets drafted, told to show up for physical, etc.

Smears a bunch of peanut butter between his butt cheeks and shows up on schedule.

Gets to the bend over portion of the physical.

The doc, grossed out, says "What's this?"

Draftee scoops up a finger full, eats it, say "Lunch!"

The Army decided they could do without him.
lol...my dad told a similar story when i was growing up and that story was the only time i ever heard him cuss intentionally.
"navy recruit is cleaning toilets during basic. recruit smears PB all in the bowl and when the inspecting officer asks what it is he tastes it and says, "sh#$ sir!" i don't know why, probably because of the legalized foul language, but that joke always made me laugh hysterically. :happy: