Quantcast

My driveway is 2 tone

splat

Nam I am
I sealed my Driveway on Sunday , and for some reason there was a Huge difference between Bucket 1 and bucket 2, to the point my drive way is now basically 2 differenet colors , Half is jet Black , the other half flat black.

I emailed the MFGer of the sealer will see what they have to say.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I sealed my Driveway on Sunday , and for some reason there was a Huge difference between Bucket 1 and bucket 2, to the point my drive way is now basically 2 differenet colors , Half is jet Black , the other half flat black.

I emailed the MFGer of the sealer will see what they have to say.

Ive seen that a couple times now, once i was told that one was just a bad batch, another time i was told one was older than the other and needed to be put into a Paint shaker to Get the mix totally Homogonis again. Hope i spelled that right

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I've always wondered why people want to "paint" their driveways. If the stuff is as good as the mfg says, then why don't highway departments use them?
I know in NY the state DOT has started using whats called micro-surfacing, which is very similar to driveway seal. Its a really thin layer that is slurry like with smaller stones.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I agree with the mixing of the two. Also seriously always get them to shake them at the store or get one of those mixers that go in a corded drill. The chemical that makes it shiny will separate from the others in the paint / sealer. They actually sell just the chemical to give a gloss finish that you can paint on after.
When they mix the paint/sealer at the factory it still comes out of different batches that can be slightly different.
I have been a painter for 9 years and can't tell you the number of times I have had to repaint things behind people that don't do this.

And don't even get me started on red paint, that is a bear all to itself.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I agree with the mixing of the two. Also seriously always get them to shake them at the store or get one of those mixers that go in a corded drill. The chemical that makes it shiny will separate from the others in the paint / sealer. They actually sell just the chemical to give a gloss finish that you can paint on after.
When they mix the paint/sealer at the factory it still comes out of different batches that can be slightly different.
I have been a painter for 9 years and can't tell you the number of times I have had to repaint things behind people that don't do this.

And don't even get me started on red paint, that is a bear all to itself.
I'm gonna get you started, why red? I'd think black would be the worst. People think black is black, but there are a billion different shades....

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That would be great. You could have mixed 1/3 of each bucket together, and had a 3 tone urban camo driveway.

If your driveway was urban camo, would you miss it all the time trying to turn in? What if you lived in the suburbs? Would it blend in then? :bonk:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Damn, I just wish my driveway took two buckets. I used five 10 gallon buckets this weekend and was still a little short. And my parents are talking about doubling the size of the driveway and making it a half circle in front of the house. I don't think i'll volunteer to seal it then.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
I'm gonna get you started, why red? I'd think black would be the worst. People think black is black, but there are a billion different shades....
lol figured someone would. You are right about there being a billion different shades of black but that is true of any color. Yes there is only one true blue but look at different name brands, the blues won't match.

The problem with reds is the amount of pigment it takes to get the color and how fast the pigments separate in the bucket. Also different reds require different shades of primer for best results. If you use a gray primer the red will look completely different from using a white or pink or even black. If you go to an actual paint store and ask, they can suggest the best tint for the primer for the red you are using. Ok the primer is a small issue.

When one paints they figure ok I cut in (corners, ceilings, base boards . . . ) and then roll and every thing will look good. This is not so with true reds. The pigments separate extremely fast in the paint. So you can dip your brush and cut in and take a five minute break and if you don't mix it properly the red will be different. Pretty much you should work in sections with reds and preferably with two people. On person to constantly mix the paint while the other person actually paints. I always do it a wall at a time. And yes the walls will actually be different colors, but the brain will visually even that out for you.
And heaven forbid you have to come back 1 week later and touch up a spot. lol you will be painting the entire section all over again.

This theory is true of any color that has a lot of tint in it. Very vibrant colors are problems but red. . . well that is a beast.