Quantcast

my elbow is in 20 pieces

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
4th jump in the main line at calabazas. Came up crooked, bike slid out, put out right arm to arrest fall, snap goes the elbow. A comminuted displaced distal humerus fracture to be precise. No more riding for me for about 6 months. The worst part is that I was going to work in whistler all summer.

I need to get it operated on early next week. Anyone know any excellent orthopedic surgeons in the bay area? Luc? I KNOW you'll have some advice.

On another note, I heard that San Jose is threatening to plow calabazas. I would hate myself forever if my dumb ass was the last straw. Is there some way I can write someone a letter to keep this from being a problem?

Keep it safe, everyone...

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by Acadian
Dude..I'm SOOOO sorry to hear that!! :( that really blows!! Is that the pack near the sidewalk?

Hope it's not too serious.

My surgeon was Mark D. Golod. He's got two offices in the area. Definitely get his opinion, he did a MIRACLE with me!

Golod, Mark I MD - Mark I Golod Inc
Address: 725 E Santa Clara St # 204, San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: (408) 947-8000

Golod, Mark I MD - San Jose Orthopedic Assoc
Address: 2505 Samaritan Dr # 210, San Jose, CA 95124
Phone: (408) 947-8000

Keep up posted please..good luck.
Thanks! I'll give him a call fo' shizzle.

Yep, that's the park by the sidewalk.

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Sorry to hear that man... getting hurt sucks big time but it's just something you've got to work through.

That's great that you're trying to contact the city about cali... it'll show them that riders are cool for the most part, and not out to start lawsuits.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by narlus
ouch....heal up, mang.

maybe some of my company's product (rhBMP-2) can help you out.
my biotech consultant buddies probably are working for you guys :D

that sucks about the elbow. get a good doc, do the PT and heal up!

That blows.

If you want the best that $$ can buy than look up the surgeon to the stars.
Dr. Art Ting in Freemont.
510-797-5550

This is the "man" and he is the best for real.

He is the surgeon from guys like Jerry Rice and Steve Elway to Travis Pastrana and Kevin Schwantz(superbike champion),
and all Dh'rs , DJumpers and average Joe jerkoffs like me.

At that level those guys can afford whoever and he is the best.

He did my wrist after i dead sailored a drop in Virgin.
Cost me a pretty penny but hey, its your body and your call.

Good luck holmes and again, best of luck with your recovery.

P.s. don't take physical therapy lightly and follow your Dr's orders to the tee. Also get on a highly effective anti-inflamatory drug like Vioxx, Celebrex or Bextra.

After 2 surgeries that included 2 plates, 4 pins and 6 screws , i learned what works.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by LOOnatic
That blows.

If you want the best that $$ can buy than look up the surgeon to the stars.
Dr. Art Ting in Freemont.
510-797-5550

This is the "man" and he is the best for real.

He is the surgeon from guys like Jerry Rice and Steve Elway to Travis Pastrana and Kevin Schwantz(superbike champion),
and all Dh'rs , DJumpers and average Joe jerkoffs like me.

At that level those guys can afford whoever and he is the best.

He did my wrist after i dead sailored a drop in Virgin.
Cost me a pretty penny but hey, its your body and your call.

Good luck holmes and again, best of luck with your recovery.

P.s. don't take physical therapy lightly and follow your Dr's orders to the tee. Also get on a highly effective anti-inflamatory drug like Vioxx, Celebrex or Bextra.

After 2 surgeries that included 2 plates, 4 pins and 6 screws , i learned what works.
hmmm... this dude patched up pastrana? didn't that crazy mofo separate his pelvis from his spine? maybe I'll give him a call. My insurance is pretty good.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
Check it: I sent this letter to several people at san jose parks and rec:

Hello,
I am writing in defense of the bike jumps located at Calabazas park at the corner of Rainbow and Blaney. I often ride these jumps and I am always amazed at the power they have to build community. At the Calabazas jumps I see guys in their 40’s sharing knowledge and experience with riders younger than 15. I see cooperation and mutual encouragement on a level that I have honestly never seen anywhere else. I see people of all walks of life sharing an overwhelmingly positive activity.
I understand that you are concerned with the safety and liability issues that are inherent to so-called “extreme sports.” I am in a unique position to discuss these issues as I recently suffered a rather severe accident at the park and took an ambulance ride to the hospital. Having experienced this, I can confidently assure you that neither I nor any other individual who rides at Calabazas would ever consider legal action against the city. It is my firm belief that the dangerous nature of the sport we all love instills in us a great sense of responsibility and forethought. We have all fallen before and we all fully understand the risks we take are ours alone. I have only myself to blame for my accident and I am fully prepared to deal with its consequences.
Please allow people to continue to use this wonderful resource.

Sincerely,
Kurt Diegert

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by SirChomps-a-Lot
Tell me more about this product. All my damage is at the bottom of my humerus.
well i'm not exactly sure if the long bone fracture indication has been licenced yet. the spinal fusion has been, i'm pretty sure. ask yr orthopedic surgeon about it, he/she will know more about it than me.

good luck, hope it all heals up nicely.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by SirChomps-a-Lot
Check it: I sent this letter to several people at san jose parks and rec:

Hello,
I am writing in defense of the bike jumps located at Calabazas park at the corner of Rainbow and Blaney. I often ride these jumps and I am always amazed at the power they have to build community. At the Calabazas jumps I see guys in their 40’s sharing knowledge and experience with riders younger than 15. I see cooperation and mutual encouragement on a level that I have honestly never seen anywhere else. I see people of all walks of life sharing an overwhelmingly positive activity.
I understand that you are concerned with the safety and liability issues that are inherent to so-called “extreme sports.” I am in a unique position to discuss these issues as I recently suffered a rather severe accident at the park and took an ambulance ride to the hospital. Having experienced this, I can confidently assure you that neither I nor any other individual who rides at Calabazas would ever consider legal action against the city. It is my firm belief that the dangerous nature of the sport we all love instills in us a great sense of responsibility and forethought. We have all fallen before and we all fully understand the risks we take are ours alone. I have only myself to blame for my accident and I am fully prepared to deal with its consequences.
Please allow people to continue to use this wonderful resource.

Sincerely,
Kurt Diegert
I would have recommended against sending the letter. Drawing attention to such an injury only makes them more fearful as the next person that it happens to might not be like you in regards to responsibility. However, if your injury was starting off a process of closure then obviously it was necessary.

Make sure you get copies of the X-Rays to post of your busted bones. A new avitar might be in your future.