Quantcast

My first 29er

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
I own a small repair shop and manage my friends parts shop that my repair shop is in and I make little to no money doing it so when I sold my Orange P7 last summer I knew I needed to start gather parts and building something on the cheap for those long epic all day in the saddle rides. I went with a Niner because... we sell them, the frame was REALLY cheap on closeout, the larger wheels will help provide a bit of cushion and I would have a solid pedaling platform
I sat on the frame for 6 months before building it up waiting for parts and deals to come along. Here's what I ended up with:

Parts Spec:
*Bold indicates brand new component

Frame: '08 Niner EMD. Medium. Rootbeer
Fork: '08 Maverick DUC 32 w/29er conversion, small crown and 75/85/95mm reach stem
Headset: King
Handlebars: Sunline V1 28.5" wide
Grips: Odi Ruffian lock-ons
Brakes: '07 Avid Juicy Carbons w/Ti hardware and Shimano rotors
Seat: WTB Speed V ProGel
Seatpost: Thomson
Seatclamp: DKG

Pedals: Wellgo Somethingbigandheavybutprettygrippyandholdingupratherwell
Cranks: FSA Gravity Light MegaExo
Bottom Bracket: King

Stinger: BlackSpire
Chain: Sram PC991
Cassette: Sram PC990
Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.2
Tubes: Kenda 26"
Rims: WTB Speed Disc
Front Hub: King 24mm

Rear Hub: King ISO 135 1 peice axle with SS freehub
Spokes: Wheelsmith Double Butted
Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy
Rear Skewer: American Classic Titanium

Shifting: XT shifters and long cage RapidRise XT derailleur

Total amount spent on the entire bike including the frame....Drum Roll
$701.28. :D
Even that was a bit more than I wanted to spend at the time especially after I just spent a bundle on getting my frame adjusted at Foes, a shock rebuild/revalve/ti spring and a bunch of other various parts for the DH rig, but I justified it as being my 22nd birthday present to myself.

I took it for its first ride on Sunday and it rode great. I spend most my time on my downhill bike so I rode it quite aggressively and while its a big change jumping from my BMX bike, my dirt jumper and my DH bike I think I'll hang onto the 29er for a while.

-Kevin

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
I own a small repair shop and manage my friends parts shop that my repair shop is in and I make little to no money doing it so when I sold my Orange P7 last summer I knew I needed to start gather parts and building something on the cheap for those long epic all day in the saddle rides. I went with a Niner because... we sell them, the frame was REALLY cheap on closeout, the larger wheels will help provide a bit of cushion and I would have a solid pedaling platform
I sat on the frame for 6 months before building it up waiting for parts and deals to come along. Here's what I ended up with:

Parts Spec:
*Bold indicates brand new component

Frame: '08 Niner EMD. Medium. Rootbeer
Fork: '08 Maverick DUC 32 w/29er conversion, small crown and 75/85/95mm reach stem
Headset: King
Handlebars: Sunline V1 28.5" wide
Grips: Odi Ruffian lock-ons
Brakes: '07 Avid Juicy Carbons w/Ti hardware and Shimano rotors
Seat: WTB Speed V ProGel
Seatpost: Thomson
Seatclamp: DKG

Pedals: Wellgo Somethingbigandheavybutprettygrippyandholdingupratherwell
Cranks: FSA Gravity Light MegaExo
Bottom Bracket: King

Stinger: BlackSpire
Chain: Sram PC991
Cassette: Sram PC990
Tires: Kenda Nevegal 2.2
Tubes: Kenda 26"
Rims: WTB Speed Disc
Front Hub: King 24mm

Rear Hub: King ISO 135 1 peice axle with SS freehub
Spokes: Wheelsmith Double Butted
Nipples: DT Swiss Alloy
Rear Skewer: American Classic Titanium

Shifting: XT shifters and long cage RapidRise XT derailleur

Total amount spent on the entire bike including the frame....Drum Roll
$701.28. :D
Even that was a bit more than I wanted to spend at the time especially after I just spent a bundle on getting my frame adjusted at Foes, a shock rebuild/revalve/ti spring and a bunch of other various parts for the DH rig, but I justified it as being my 22nd birthday present to myself.

I took it for its first ride on Sunday and it rode great. I spend most my time on my downhill bike so I rode it quite aggressively and while its a big change jumping from my BMX bike, my dirt jumper and my DH bike I think I'll hang onto the 29er for a while.

-Kevin

You're gonna love it man! The Mav is a fantastic fork.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Thanks for the good words. So far the bike has been really nice. The fork... damn that thing is stiff. I have some more changes to make to the bike, but for now it's doing pretty darn well.

-Kevin