Quantcast

My First Century

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
This weekend I attended my first Century hosted by my Local Bike Club Pax Velo. I have always wanted to try and ride 100 miles. Well this weekend I did it – and this was no easy feat. I haven’t been training for about 2 months and I could really feel it. At mile 66 we started hitting 20/30 mile an hour head winds and I cracked and cracked hard. I managed to make it too the 75 mile rest area – for about 10sec I thought about calling it a day. Then my best friend (who also cracked) said “we made it this far” so we got on our bikes and continued through the worst 25miles of my life.

But after 6hour 15min 22 sec I finished

100 miles AND DID THE BEER TASTE GOOD :cheers:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
awesome! way to stick with it!!

2 weeks off shouldnt make that big of a diffence, but 20mph winds and more elevation?? can kick your ass

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Awesome job Mancil. I don't know how it's even possible, but somehow with minimal training I managed to feel great for pretty much my whole century last week. About 75 miles in, the people I was riding with cracked on a huge hill and I just felt great. But we agreed to all stay together and we did, I was happy to pull to the end. Only like the last 4 miles did I really start to get tired. Now I'm hooked and I wanna do another one!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Awesome job Mancil. I don't know how it's even possible, but somehow with minimal training I managed to feel great for pretty much my whole century last week. About 75 miles in, the people I was riding with cracked on a huge hill and I just felt great. But we agreed to all stay together and we did, I was happy to pull to the end. Only like the last 4 miles did I really start to get tired. Now I'm hooked and I wanna do another one!
They are addictive.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Great...I'll let you pull me along for 100 mile :brows:

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Give it a few days and get back on the bike. By around Thursday you won't believe how strong you feel.

And rides like century's and 24's food becomes really, really important. Not so much just eating, but the type of food. Echo's story above kinda paints the picture of what good food can do.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
awesome! way to stick with it!!

2 weeks off shouldnt make that big of a diffence, but 20mph winds and more elevation?? can kick your ass
I don't think 2 weeks really matter when you have been riding alot but I have been on the bike maybe 10 times in the past 2 months.

I'm just to being on the live 4 times a week - I want to do my next Century in less then 5 hours

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Congrats! First century is a big milestone. I think it takes more cajones to decide to do one than it does to finish for the most part, though. Unless you have some killer course to ride, you can always go a little slower...

My first (and, at this point, only) century was one of the hardest rides I've ever done. Solo all the way and it was in the 30s and 40s for a good part of it, if I remember correctly. I get cold just thinking about it.

Y

yadadada

Nice Job. The feeling you get after finishing your first century is really awesome! I did my first last spring, and many more to follow through the season. The first was/is still the sweetest.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Congratulations. Every century is a huge sense of accomplishment.

The first time I did one I didn't want to reset my computer.
i was the same way.. I took a pic of it instead..

Congrats on the Completion!!!! It is def an accomplishment

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
i was the same way.. I took a pic of it instead..

Congrats on the Completion!!!! It is def an accomplishment
The last "century" I did was only 99.7 miles. I was pissed.
I thought about riding around the parking lot for the next 0.3, but went and got my burrito instead.