Quantcast

My first MTB--->SS

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
This was my first MTB that my dad bought for me when I was 15. Purple steel trek 930 with a lock that won't come off because I lost the key.

I know it's purple......but back then I was so blown away by the suspension fork it could have been hot pink and I would not have noticed....

It doesn't get any use these days so I wanted to try something new....what is the cheapest way to turn this thing into a SS? can i just buy one BMX cog and some spacers and run it on one of the rings up front? Also, how much can I expect to pay for a rigid fork? LBS told me $50 which seemed very steep..

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
this is what i call quality travel!!!!!!!! I rode patapsco, gambrill, schaffer, great falls all for the first time on this bike....lot's of memories...notice the seal up aroung the top of the fork leg!!!!! hahahahaha......

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
You may be able to disassemble that cassette and use one of the gears. Get some spacers for the freehub body and some kind of tensioner(it will be worth it). Ditch the big and small rings from your crank set if you can and get rid of the derailleurs.

I've ridden my SS at every place you mentioned riding. (some were a little harder rides than others)

Have fun.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by jmvar
this is what i call quality travel!!!!!!!! ....lot's of memories...notice the seal up aroung the top of the fork leg!!!!! hahahahaha......
Hells yeah! Elastomer bumper action!! :D

My first MTB, also a Trek, had the same POS fork. Oh the memories :rolleyes: :D

Like peter6061 said, break apart an old cassette (you might need two) for the spacers, use one of the cogs, and jerry-rig some sort of tensioner and you'll be well on your way to ghettoSSpeed bliss! I spent a grand total of $10 for new grips on my SS conversion.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Everything you need to know about converting to SS, right here.

I've heard a car jack will bust one of those U-locks right off. Looks like you've got room to use it.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Originally posted by DamienC
Nah...Sarah's old ParkPre steel hardtail

That's cool It looks like my old Parkpre singlespeed(pro 825). Though I filed the rear hub's axle flat on two sides to allow for just a hair of adjustment fore and aft which let me run the thing with no tensioner. 36-17 hurts at the shed, but it's totally doable.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by peter6061
That's cool It looks like my old Parkpre singlespeed(pro 825). Though I filed the rear hub's axle flat on two sides to allow for just a hair of adjustment fore and aft which let me run the thing with no tensioner. 36-17 hurts at the shed, but it's totally doable.
Nice! I might try that before getting one of those eccentric ENO hubs...nothing to lose anyway, that hub on there is ancient. I have a 32-18 combo on there right now.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Nice! I might try that before getting one of those eccentric ENO hubs...nothing to lose anyway, that hub on there is ancient. I have a 32-18 combo on there right now.
Yeah, initially I had a singleator on there and XTR wheels with spacers. When I went to a SS specific hub(surly) I figured it was cheap enough to modify. I just took a little off both sides and it has worked great for years.

My new SS comes next week hopefully. Then the money starts leaving my checking account.:angry:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Nice! I might try that before getting one of those eccentric ENO hubs
I just built an ENO up for my Ibis Mojo. The hubs are very nice and the price is worth it for the quality. A cool idea to boot.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Originally posted by riderx
I just built an ENO up for my Ibis Mojo. The hubs are very nice and the price is worth it for the quality. A cool idea to boot.
I was looking at those too. They looked sweet. Are you running their freewheel? Depending on which hub I end up buying for the new SS, I might need one and it looks like a nice option. (unless I go King or True Precision)

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by peter6061
Are you running their freewheel?
Not yet, but I plan on getting one for that wheel since freewheel removal requires a little more work than a standard hub (because of the eccentric axle). I'll keep running an ACS on the Surly 1x1 just because of cost.

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Everything you need to know about converting to SS, right here.

I've heard a car jack will bust one of those U-locks right off. Looks like you've got room to use it.
craftsman car jack 1, old U-lock 0....thanks for the tip riderx, btw, nice website!!!!

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
.........you can fiddle with gear combos & that plus a 1/2 link ($1.50 @ your LBS) should eliminate any need for a tensioner.....the ENO is nice unless you like to rock the SS Disco Stylie:D ;)

Attachments