Quantcast

my first post!

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
I just fell like saying hi to all the :monkey: 's out there, and also a quick question. I'm riding a '02 Cannondale Jekyll 800, and was wondering if the bottom bracket is the standard size? I'm planning on upgrading to some truvativ gigapipe BB and some hussefelt triple cranks, but Cannondale has some funky sizing, so I decided to check with the experts. thanks for all the replies in advance!

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
Thank you for the replies and welcomes. I might have found the answer to my question, but it never told me the length I need for the bottom bracket. once again, thanks for the welcomes.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
I have a Jekyll as well and changed out the BB and cranks with XT stuff... you're right, Cdale does use a funky size BB, but you can replace it with another size without any problems (I think it was the next length BB). If you want to make sure, yank your cranks and BB and measure the one you've got...

I just had to make some adjustments to the high/low setscrews on the front deraileur and everything works great now.

...I looked to see if I kept the box my BB came in, but I must have tossed it - sorry!

Midget

Chimp
Aug 3, 2003
take a left at the tree
Thanks monkey_mullet, that really helps! Last time i tried removing the bottom bracket, I forgot to get a measurement, which is really stupid because that's why I took it off. Not my brightest moment. :rolleyes:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Midget
I just fell like saying hi to all the :monkey: 's out there, and also a quick question. I'm riding a '02 Cannondale Jekyll 800, and was wondering if the bottom bracket is the standard size? I'm planning on upgrading to some truvativ gigapipe BB and some hussefelt triple cranks, but Cannondale has some funky sizing, so I decided to check with the experts. thanks for all the replies in advance!
I believe the width is 68mm, though it might be 73mm. As for spindle length, the ISIS stuff comes in a fairly limited size range. What dictates spindle length is frame/swing arm clearance. At one point, spindle length was dictated by chain line, but things are more standardized now. If you already have an ISIS bb, I would start with the same size spindle. Your best bet would probobly be to call Cannondale and ask if their frames require longer spindles. I know very little about them. Fuels, Sugars, and Gig Hits are examples of bikes that need longer spindles to avoid things hitting the frame.