Quantcast

My First SS

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
I've been toying with the idea of simplifying the daily grind to just decompressing at the end of the day and enjoying the ride. I finally got a SS together to help out with that. Definitely a different experience coming from DH bikes and an IH 7Point. I think it may just be the best "reset" button I've ever pushed . . .

Attachments

Oct 9, 2003
Cool, I can see it now. Noone is that lucky anyaway ;-) I'm fiddling around with normal bb and vertical drops so I envy people with horiontal drops, EBB and eno hubs etc.

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Cool, I can see it now. Noone is that lucky anyaway ;-) I'm fiddling around with normal bb and vertical drops so I envy people with horiontal drops, EBB and eno hubs etc.
Nah, definitely couldn't get that lucky. Plus, with a new chain I'm sure it'll have a "growth spurt" soon. The EBB does come in handy some times. I did have to switch it around though. It was a bit of a pain having the adjustments on the drive side.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
How does the SS couch (i.e. dual suspension) work? Do you have a chain tensioner?

I finally got my 1x1 back in service and I love it. I broke the fork after just a month (stanchion just broke off) and the seller (my boyfriend) said....'as is....no warranty', so I bought a F100 RLC. Can't complain, the price of the 1x1 was right and he installed the new fork (along with the weight weenie carbon bars and light weight stem I bought for it).

I'm turning into a SS convert. A single speed bike never appealed to me, but my boyfriend encouraged me to ride his spare (he bought a 29er SS, so the 1x1 was idle) and before long, it was mine. The more I ride it, the more I love it. I rode it last weekend on a trail that was pretty technical and I expected to be very frustrated, but I wasn't. I made it over almost everything I can on my dual suspension geared bike, and it was tons of fun!! What a hoot!! Not only is SS'ing a hoot, but it's already improved my riding skills.

Enjoy your SS!!!

Jun 20, 2007
How does the SS couch (i.e. dual suspension) work? Do you have a chain tensioner?

I finally got my 1x1 back in service and I love it. I broke the fork after just a month (stanchion just broke off) and the seller (my boyfriend) said....'as is....no warranty', so I bought a F100 RLC. Can't complain, the price of the 1x1 was right and he installed the new fork (along with the weight weenie carbon bars and light weight stem I bought for it).

I'm turning into a SS convert. A single speed bike never appealed to me, but my boyfriend encouraged me to ride his spare (he bought a 29er SS, so the 1x1 was idle) and before long, it was mine. The more I ride it, the more I love it. I rode it last weekend on a trail that was pretty technical and I expected to be very frustrated, but I wasn't. I made it over almost everything I can on my dual suspension geared bike, and it was tons of fun!! What a hoot!! Not only is SS'ing a hoot, but it's already improved my riding skills.

Enjoy your SS!!!
My FS SS is a Specialized FSR, I replaced the cassette with a kick-ass-cog and spacer kit from Endless Bikes, and I replaced my rear deraileur with a Surly Singulator. It works great, light, quiet (I have the spring tension on the singulator cranked pretty high and thus I don't have much chain slap), and so easy to maintain.

remdog

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Durango
i just inheratied a old schwinn contenital road bike for free.... and its old... but i wanna build a single speed out of it. what chain ring sizes do you all recomend?