Quantcast

My Freshly Built Yeti 303-R DH

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Following on from my mini-review I ordered the frame and have now finally got it all built up, here are the specs:

Frame - 09 Yeti 303R
Rear shock - Fox DHX 5.0 with Ti spring
Front shock/fork - 07 Boxxer world cup (converted)
Handlebars - Raceface Atlas FR 1/2" riser 785mm
Stem - Straitline direct mount 50mm
Headset - Chris King
Grips - ODI Yeti
Saddle - I-fly
Seatpost - I-beam
Front brake - Elixir CR
Rear brake - Juicy 7 (soon to be Elixir CR)
Cranks - Middleburn RS7 (polished)
Chainguide - LG1+
Chainring - 36t e13
Chain - Sram
Pedals - Wellgo MG-1
Rear derailleur - x9
Rear shifter - x7
Cassette - ultegra road
Front hub - Chris King
Rear hub - Chris King
Front rim - DT EX5.1D
Rear rim - Alex Supra D
Spokes - DT competition
Nipples - DT brass
Tyres - Minion DHF
Tubes - XC front, DH rear
Total weight - 17.6kg (38.8lbs) on the digital bathroom scales

now for some photos :)

and a few action photos

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
nice ride, i'll be running the same crankset/guide setup.

just wondering, but how many spacers did you use for the LG+ guide? any spacer(s) for the BB?
Thanks,

The BB has a 2mm spacer and I used one thick washer on each bolt to the ISCG tabs. I also had to grind about 2mm off the back of the spider because the LG1+ back plate is very thick and was touching the spider, all good now.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
In your review you mentioned that you didn't like how the bike cornered, but that it might be due to the front end setup on the test bike.

How does it corner now that you have it dialed?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Bummed that 2010 the bike is slightly steeper and higher. Although for a $500 discount on the 1 1/8" frame I'll take it.
By .1, is that really going to make that much of a difference to you? There are three different settings to choose from and you can actually set the chips anywhere in between the 3 settings.

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
In your review you mentioned that you didn't like how the bike cornered, but that it might be due to the front end setup on the test bike.

How does it corner now that you have it dialed?
Yes the front end was set up terrible on the demo bike and my bike is set up perfect now with the zero rise stem and 1/2" riser bar. The short chainstays are less forgiving if you dont have your body in the correct position when cornering but when you get it right the bike changes direction faster than any bike I have ever tried before. The only disadvantage I am getting with the shorter stays is the faster open or off camber corners were the bike is a bit less stable or shall we say a bit more exciting to ride.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
By .1, is that really going to make that much of a difference to you? There are three different settings to choose from and you can actually set the chips anywhere in between the 3 settings.
It might. Considering the way DH geometry is going it is odd they would be going higher as opposed to lower.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Yes the front end was set up terrible on the demo bike and my bike is set up perfect now with the zero rise stem and 1/2" riser bar. The short chainstays are less forgiving if you dont have your body in the correct position when cornering but when you get it right the bike changes direction faster than any bike I have ever tried before. The only disadvantage I am getting with the shorter stays is the faster open or off camber corners were the bike is a bit less stable or shall we say a bit more exciting to ride.
Thx

This bike sounds great! For sure makes my "next bike" list.

After your comment about off camber turns I really wonder why Yeti scrapped the 303 DH. Who cares if there may/may not be a new proto in the works.

The 303 OG was sic in off camber. The other day I was watching the Yeti team recap from Schlad'. Click http://www.yeticycles.com/#/videovault/ to watch Blinky kill the grassy section (~3/4 through the vid). LOOSE!!

Last edited:

JDA

Chimp
Feb 6, 2008
Sydney, Australia
This bit of marketing from the Yeti website pretty much sums it up for me

"The 303R-DH project was started not to replace the current 303 DH, but to compliment it and offer another option for racers depending on the course, and the individual’s riding style. The unique feel of the 303 DH suspension is ideal for some, but others want a lighter frame with suspension that is more lively and agile. The 303R-DH maintains a similar progressive rate as the 303 DH, but its lighter weight frame and playful nature gets the most out of pre-loading and popping off of lips. It is suited for pedaly courses and where riders are looking to scrape milliseconds out of corners and off of rollers."

Its perfect for 90% of the tracks I race and ride on.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
This bit of marketing from the Yeti website pretty much sums it up for me

"The 303R-DH project was started not to replace the current 303 DH, but to compliment it and offer another option for racers depending on the course, and the individual’s riding style. The unique feel of the 303 DH suspension is ideal for some, but others want a lighter frame with suspension that is more lively and agile. The 303R-DH maintains a similar progressive rate as the 303 DH, but its lighter weight frame and playful nature gets the most out of pre-loading and popping off of lips. It is suited for pedaly courses and where riders are looking to scrape milliseconds out of corners and off of rollers."

Its perfect for 90% of the tracks I race and ride on.
If it didn't replace the 303DH then what happened? Why compliment something you don't even make any more?

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
i don't get it.. in the video they are talking about how they have 2 different bikes the 303 and the 303rdh for different types of riders and tracks... and then they don't offer the 303 anymore???

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
i don't get it.. in the video they are talking about how they have 2 different bikes the 303 and the 303rdh for different types of riders and tracks... and then they don't offer the 303 anymore???
The bikes that are on the website are not set in stone yet. The 303 might make a return. Just because it isn't listed doesn't mean that it is gone.

You will see the team on the 303 again next year, especially with the 6 tracks on the schedule.

I think that the 303 and a 4x bike will show up. It isn't even 2010 yet and we are still in the 2009 season.