Quantcast

My friend Kyle McCarron is seriously hurt

Curler

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
Seattle, WA
My friend Kyle McCarron and I were up at whistler and he took a really bad fall and lacerated his kidney.... now he is bleeding internally. If the bleeding stops soon he will be able to keep his kidney but if if it he will need major surgery to have his kidney removed. Please send him all your healing vibes, he needs them.

Curler

Chimp
Dec 6, 2007
Seattle, WA
yea it was his first time up there but 3rd day riding we were on dirt merchant and they are redoing the trail so they have a temporary coarse to ride and one part is pretty steep and he just launched off it way too fast and sideways and chucked his bike and landed on his back.....at first we thought it was just bruised ribs but it started hurting more and more.

By the time we got to Vancouver we knew he needed an emergency room but in Canada you have to pay up front and he just doesnt have the money for that so we drove into bellingham and luckily the hospital we went to was a trauma center so hes getting looked after by good people.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
By the time we got to Vancouver we knew he needed an emergency room but in Canada you have to pay up front and he just doesnt have the money for that so we drove into bellingham and luckily the hospital we went to was a trauma center so hes getting looked after by good people.
If this is true, Canada truly is the greatest third world nation.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
If this is true, Canada truly is the greatest third world nation.
haha

the only difference here would be you get billed post-op and wind up in collections before you find your car in the parking lot :)

i had to take a trip to the emergency clinic in whistler last season for a finger that I could not relocate myself. Even though I have international emergency medical coverage, they would not take it. Out of pocket I paid and had to file for reimbursement with Primera when I got back home. No biggie if you have the credit but not everyone does...which brings me to...

This is why you pay the extra 20 dollars through central reservations when going to Whistler to guarantee international medical coverage in the off-chance you need it. I learned this lesson but it only cost me a temporary loss of 900 bucks. I can't even begin to imagine how much this poor guy's fixings would have cost!

Last edited:

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
haha

the only difference here would be you get billed post-op and wind up in collections before you find your car in the parking lot :)

i had to take a trip to the emergency clinic in whistler last season for a finger that I could not relocate myself. Even though I have international emergency medical coverage, they would not take it. Out of pocket I paid and had to file for reimbursement with Primera when I got back home. No biggie if you have the credit but not everyone does...which brings me to...

This is why you pay the extra 20 dollars through central reservations when going to Whistler to guarantee international medical coverage in the off-chance you need it. I learned this lesson but it only cost me a temporary loss of 900 bucks. I can't even begin to imagine how much this poor guy's fixings would have cost!

sigh I know how it feels to get sent to collections for medical treatment..
It makes you so angry :\

can you give a little more info or send me in the direction for this international medical coverage?
Or is this through your medical insurance?

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
sigh I know how it feels to get sent to collections for medical treatment..
It makes you so angry :\

can you give a little more info or send me in the direction for this international medical coverage?
Or is this through your medical insurance?
well my employer offers international emergency coverage but since the clinic up there does not take insurance from other countries you have to go about it a different way.

If you book a room through http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/accommodation/index.htm you are presented with an option to add emergency coverage for all in your party for an extra 30 bucks (that's what it was last year) which covers trips to the emergency clinic. I believe this covered up to 10 people in a party. You split this 5 ways and you now have $6 peace o' mind.

Aside from that, you can pay for traveler's insurance which offers the same; I do not know how much that costs though.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Just curious. Was he wearing upper body armor?

I just picked some up for Whistler and thinking I made a good choice.

Thanks for the reality check, hope your buddy does well.