Quantcast

My Giant Glory Team

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Tomorrow im heading to the Harz Mountains in Germany for 1 week of DH riding and after that im heading towards Semmering for the 24 hour DH race.I have build up a Giant Glory Team for the job.

Spec's for this build are:

Frame: Giant Glory Team 2008 Small
Headset: Sixpack Fire Red 1 1.8'' & Acros Ai25 1.5'' Red
Fork: Rock Shox Boxxer World Cup 2010 Red
Stem: Spank Spike Toykio White/Chrome 31.8mm
Bars: Controltech House Carbon DH 710mm
Grips: Acros A Grip Lock On Black
Front Brake: Avid Code 5 four piston
Rear Brake: Formula Mega two piston
Shifter: Sram X.O Trigger 9 speed Redwin
Rear Shock: Fox DHX 5.0 w/400lbs spring
Cranks: Shimano XT M771
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Saint 83mm
Chainguide: Carbocage
Chainring: E-Thirteen 36t
Chain: KMC X9 Lite gold
Pedals: Nukeproof Neutron Mag-Ti
Cassette: Shimano Dura Ace 12-25t
Derailleur: Sram X.O Red/Black short cage
Wheels: Bontrager King Earl
Thrue Axle: Azonic Recoil 12x150mm
Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF/DHR 2.5''
Tubes: Schwalbe
Seatclamp: Kcnc 34.9mm QR Gold
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 30.9mm
Saddle: 4ZA Stratos White

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
i forgot to weight the thing but im think it's arround 17kg in this setup.It does not feel heavy.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Tell us more about the 24 hour race!
Bikepark Semmering is hosting for the 4th time the legendary 24 hour DH race on August the 7th-8th,it's the only 24 hour DH race in Europe or maybe in the whole world.Riders are competing in:.

2 men team
4 men team
6 men team
Solo

Their will be more 300 riders and with more than 200 teams in total,only not mear than 30 riders that ride Solo.This event is realy big it looks like the world cup has visited Semmering(not that it is).The 24 hour race track is 3500m long with speeds on the fasted section that can go up to 70km/h!!.

I will post pics & vids of this event here on Ridemonkey

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Could you show the picture at the BB area and non driver side area as well?

Although the 09 SAINT is more lighter than before but I still very interest of this XT or LX setup. The only point that I concern is Shimano didn't make the 165 mm crankset for the 48t version.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I think your tire is going to rub your seat at bottom out/near bottom with the seat that low, I had my seat higher than that and still got some buzz. Rad build though.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Bikepark Semmering is hosting for the 4th time the legendary 24 hour DH race on August the 7th-8th,it's the only 24 hour DH race in Europe or maybe in the whole world.Riders are competing in:.

2 men team
4 men team
6 men team
Solo

Their will be more 300 riders and with more than 200 teams in total,only not mear than 30 riders that ride Solo.This event is realy big it looks like the world cup has visited Semmering(not that it is).The 24 hour race track is 3500m long with speeds on the fasted section that can go up to 70km/h!!.

I will post pics & vids of this event here on Ridemonkey
Cool, will look forward to hearing about that, sounds madness!! Do you need lights or is the course lit?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Looks like a worthy replacement for the session dude! More info on this 24 hour race, ive seen youve done it a few times and it sure does sound cool!

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Got back from semmering,after 3 seasons my ****ty bontrager king earl wheelz are dead by hitting some rocks at high speed from dead bearings,cracks in the rims en lose spokez.Gonna put some ZTR flow wheelset with hope pro2 hubs laced with sapim ray spokez.

Gonna shave of a good 300-500g of that sucker,this week im hoping to have all pics uploaded from the 24H race

Last edited:

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
dead by hitting some rocks at high speed...........Gonna put some ZTR flow wheelset

Gonna shave of a good 300-500g of that sucker,this week im hoping to have all pics uploaded from the 24H race
high speed, rocky and ZTR Flow isn't a winning combination!

I assume you really really like the old Glory frame then? As if you're on a weight saving mission changing that frame would've been no.1 thing on my list

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Well the new glory frames are sweet but the old ones ride still good enougth for me,got some sweet parts mounted and this month hopefully the new wheelset will be mounted too:).

Point 1 Racing DM Stem

Since i weight 119lbs these will bring my bike to a stop for my weight.(not recommended for the more heavier riders).

Brake setup will be a 200mm/185mm,still need to put some brake pads though

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
You're probably not going to shave off as much weight as your hoping on the wheelset. King earl rims weigh 530g, and use 2x spoke lacing. Agreed that the rims are made of a soft cheese, (I've destroyed two so far this summer, and I'm going to lace up my third here once the current one finally explodes, which I expect will be this weekend), but they're also pretty light. The hubs are just rebranded dt swiss onyx hubs (OEM) but weight wise it wont be a big change.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I think you are confused with the previous post before i posted my last comment,my Bontrager wheelset is dead and a ZTR flow wheelset is going to be on my bike soon with Hope Pro2 hubs laced with Sapim cx ray spokes with alloy nipples

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
I think you are confused with the previous post before i posted my last comment,my Bontrager wheelset is dead and a ZTR flow wheelset is going to be on my bike soon with Hope Pro2 hubs laced with Sapim cx ray spokes with alloy nipples
you'll love the wheel set, especially with cx rays! i thrashed mine for 2 years now and finally the first spoke broke. i have mavic 729 rims with hope pro II hubs and 36 cx ray spokes per wheel, which makes for a "rather" lightweight yet indestructable wheelset. i called Sapim and they advised me to tension the spokes to 120-130 kg (!!!!!!), so you might need a spoke tension meter to get that right.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I know the cx ray spokes need to be tensioned allot more than the sapim steel spokes,but the cx ray spokes aren't easy spokes to lace for a wheelset.I have zero experience with cx ray spokes so i let a expert wheelbuilder at the lbs do it for me.The spokes are also not very cheap but still cheaper than DT swiss most expensive spokes

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
no no, I'm just saying king earl's are actually pretty light wheelsets, and your'e probably not going to loose huge weight on them.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
but king earl wheelset are arround 2200g,while the ztr flow wheelset is going to be sligthly under 1800g,so that's a pretty big weight loss on wheels imo.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
But king earl wheelset are arround 2200g,while the ztr flow wheelset is going to be sligthly under 1800g,i don't know if 400g saving on wheels is big?

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Got my wheelset ready,they didn't head the Red ProII rear hub in stock so i went for a Nuke Proof Generator XL rear hub that where fully in stock.

I saved about 470g in weight compaired to the old Bontrager King Earl wheelset that i head before:weee:

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
Got my wheelset ready,they didn't head the Red ProII rear hub in stock so i went for a Nuke Proof Generator XL rear hub that where fully in stock.

I saved about 470g in weight compaired to the old Bontrager King Earl wheelset that i head before:weee:
Nice work, thats a real nice set up.

?is the nuke proof hub loud or quiet?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Not sold on the idea of a combined freehub and cassette, especially if the top spread of the gears are alu and will wear wear pretty quickly.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
that Hope thingy is for Cross Country for a pretty large gear ratio,i don't need such a thing but it looks pretty neat for that application.