Quantcast

My latest toy...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
My new job (building electric recumbents) has given me access to some fun toys, and a little bit of spare spending money... I just made a big investment in Fast-Times by ordering up a Shock-Clock from racetech.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=11&c=Yes&cSubMenu=94&showPage=da

I'm always looking for new and expensive ways to take the fun out of riding bikes in dirt, and I think I've outdone myself!

Honestly though I've been cracking more and more shocks open for people over the last season, and I felt sick of guessing whether or not the changes I was making are effective. Racetech is a swell company to deal with, so I emplore all you geeks out there to run out and give them some cash if you want to actually see if your suspension works...

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
SuspectDevice said:
My new job (building electric recumbents) has given me access to some fun toys, and a little bit of spare spending money... I just made a big investment in Fast-Times by ordering up a Shock-Clock from racetech.

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=11&c=Yes&cSubMenu=94&showPage=da

I'm always looking for new and expensive ways to take the fun out of riding bikes in dirt, and I think I've outdone myself!

Honestly though I've been cracking more and more shocks open for people over the last season, and I felt sick of guessing whether or not the changes I was making are effective. Racetech is a swell company to deal with, so I emplore all you geeks out there to run out and give them some cash if you want to actually see if your suspension works...
And why does this not surprise me? :thumb:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
thats pretty cool man. are you just going to use it to see how well your repairs are doing or will you be making your own fancy shock parts to make them work even better?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
this is one of those thing that doesn't cross over to dh bikes.

the suspension on a DH bike has a completely different setup

to a MX bike. i can't see they could do it any good.

a good setup comes to the style rider you are knowing

what those knobs do on your shocks/springs and the

quality of your shocks.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Optimal settings, especially settings for entirely disparate tracks vary widely from rider to rider, and bike to bike. The idea is to be able to work individually with my atheletes to make sure that their setups make sense. You combine telemetry with timing ( I already have a very nice timing setup, that I never use) and thorough record keeping and you get closer and closer to making the most out of the bike/rider combination.

A good tuner can go by feel and experience, but even really thorough and analytic geeks can do the wrong things, or the right things for the wrong reasons.

I'm not worried about the cost, as I think it will pay for itself in less than a season.